Otago 'Other' category chat/enquiries

Discussion in 'Alternative Category' started by mrboh, May 5, 2009.

1. MacTonight

MacTonight Member

Doesn't sound like you need to wait. Certainly qualified enough. There are a number of "health professionals" in my year with <1 year of actual clinical experience.

In hindsight (having seen the age/ experience of some of my other category colleagues) I waited a couple of extra years unnecessarily.

Don't wait unless you have something very specific to achieve this year that you think will help secure your spot.

Good luck.

Megs and tintin90 like this.
  2. sals028

sals028 Member

This is my last and final shot at medicine
    2008-2011 - BSc Human Anatomy & Structural Biology
    2011-2013 - Bachelor of Pharmacy
    2013 - Current; Community based pharmacist with volunteer experience.

For those worried about age, if you want it bad enough age will just be a number to you. I am turning 28 this year and still as hungry as I was for medicine in 2008. If you really want it, you will do it.

Good luck to everyone

3. monty101

monty101 Member

Hi guys, I'm seriously considering applying for this option...my only concern is that i don't have rich 'volunteering' experience. I am however a 30 yr old father with diverse life experiences. My previous qualification is in education, but i'm currently studying speech language therapy and i'm not more sure than ever that I want to work in a clinical context. I'll be very content working as a speech therapist one day, but feel as if I should be brave enough to pursue my 'dream'. I genuinely grateful for any advice/reality checks. (i do have some fantastic referees who are parents of children I have taught with a range of diverse health needs).

frootloop likes this.
  4. frootloop

frootloop Six years down, two to go Moderator

I'm usually MSO's resident cynic, but you seem like you're realistic about your chances and have a fair idea of what you need to do.

I'm afraid my information about the 'other' category is over 5 years out of date (I don't think it's even called the 'other' category anymore haha), so I can't help you out much there. But if you have any questions about the medical course itself then I'm happy to answer them.

I hope your bravery pays off and you realise your dream - good luck!

monty101 likes this.
  5. blueflamingos

blueflamingos Member

Hi Monty I wouldn't get too hung up on fitting neatly into all the boxes - this category is here to find applicants who have something a little different to offer and like you've mentioned life experience is definitely something the selection committee is seeking. Once you've jumped the concrete category hurdles - ie. you're a grad, xyz years etc it really comes down to how you present yourself on paper and in interview. I think I say this to anyone considering an alternative application - it really is worth a conversation with the Health Sciences Office to discuss the details of your application and current position, they are in my experience, extremely helpful and insightful. All the best!

@monty101 Actually, there is an SLT in my class I could put you in contact with if you're both amenable.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
    monty101 likes this.
  6. monty101

monty101 Member

Thank you FL and BF for the honest and positive feedback. Its all very helpful! i emailed the admissions team with some questions today and they replied quickly with really specific advice which was great (in contrast to the generic responses sent out at UOA in my experience).

I'm working on my admissions letter and gosh its hard - i have so many different angles to write from and its really hard to gauge the right tone and to come across passionate but not desperate, informed but not arrogant etc,

If anyone would be willing to have a read of my draft in a few days and give me feedback i'd be super grateful. An alternative perspective is always appreciated. Any takers? Cheers

7. blueflamingos

blueflamingos Member

Ha argh the agony of getting everything onto that A4 page. o_O:confused:

Yip, I'm happy to take a look - send me a PM and I'll share my email address with you.

monty101 likes this.
  8. Medmehappy

Medmehappy New Member

Hey monty101, if I may ask what sort of questions did you ask? I've been wrestling with applying for this or not too cos I'm worried I don't have enough to make my application stand out :( Appreciate any help

9. frootloop

frootloop Six years down, two to go Moderator

I don't really know enough about the category to help you, but I'd imagine before anyone here can, they might need a little more background on you :)

10. Medmehappy

Medmehappy New Member

Ah yes, fair point!

Well I'm currently working as a research assistant within the field of vaccines/vaccine technology having studied a bachelor of Science with honours in Microbiology in Australia (moved here from Africa about 10 years ago now). I work full time and so my volunteering is limited to weekends which I've done so now for about 9 months within a children's hospital. I'm applying cos I'm really just exhausting all the options out there but worried that it might come across as desperate but I figure since it's what I've wanted to do since I was ten that I should give it a shot... The "one shot" stipulation though is a tad daunting...

11. monty101

monty101 Member

Hi Medmehappy, I totally hear you on the 'daunting' aspect but i think wondering 'what if' is worse!

I had asked about referee selection and volunteering requirements. The feedback i got basically said that the 'diversity' of the alternative route means that there is no best formula - each candidate with be different, so just to go with what represents me best.

Thanks for sharing your background - the only thing i'd remind you of is to justify why NZ would be the place for you to study (and hopefully practise medicine) given your experience lies overseas.