Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO: Alternative ('Other') Category Chat/Enquiries

frootloop

Doctor
You lot are more excitable than the health scis this year!

They'll have a fair few applications to sift through and think about/discuss, references to call... and also it's Otago, so it isn't going to happen rapidly haha.

TheGuru

Hi All,

Just came across the site/thread and it's cool to see a little community around the alt category. I'm doing 3 of the HSFY papers I missed out on during my previous degrees and starting next year in the MBChB program at Otago :)

I understand it'll be coming up to interview time soon so I thought I'd offer my services here of interview coaching for the med interview. If you're in Otago I can offer a complete mock interview, tips on approaching difficult questions, how to conduct yourself during the interview, provide a multitude of extremely valuable resources etc. I don't charge $ but if you do take me up on the offer and feel happy with the coaching a small tip couldn't hurt :)

For some background I'm a medical laboratory scientist by trade and up until the end of last year I was also an anatomical pathology scientist (in short, I assisted in post mortems) in the Northland region where I regularly liaised with the loved ones of deceased individuals. This gives me a good understanding of approaching difficult situations and also being Northland an appreciation of cultural differences between Pakeha and Maori when it comes to not only death, but the medical system in general.

I think that'll do for my little sales pitch, I strongly recommend preparing very hard for the interview (but also knowing how to come across as very natural during it) - I put in at least 60 hours of preparation for the interview and was still caught on by a couple of questions. If anyone has any questions let me know, I'll try to check back here but also feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Cheers and good luck!
Thank you, this made me nervous. I will email you privaely

...Just came across the site/thread and it's cool to see a little community around the alt category. I'm doing 3 of the HSFY papers I missed out on during my previous degrees and starting next year in the MBChB program at Otago :)

CHEM, PHSI & BIOC?

What grades do you need to get? B average with nothing less than a C?

Clav

Otago MB ChB PGY2
For what it's worth I just went through my emails and it appears my interview invite came on about the 8th of June so you're still a wee ways out most likely :)

monty101

made the rookie mistake of reading over my personal statement today - so many little things i wish i could change....

Blue flamingos gave me some much appreciate advice which i took onboard, but still don't think my final version was as good as it could/should've been... what will be will be i suppose...

TheGuru

made the rookie mistake of reading over my personal statement today - so many little things i wish i could change....

Blue flamingos gave me some much appreciate advice which i took onboard, but still don't think my final version was as good as it could/should've been... what will be will be i suppose...
You are not the only one, I did the same. But oh well we can't do nothing now. All the best

Clav

Otago MB ChB PGY2
Given I'm only doing one paper next semester would it be worthwhile to get the CELS/HUBS/BIOC lectures and podcasts and revise them? It's been 7 years since I did them and to be honest can't remember much of the content at all. Or does ELM ease you into things and understand that some people haven't recently done HSFY?

rustyedges

Given I'm only doing one paper next semester would it be worthwhile to get the CELS/HUBS/BIOC lectures and podcasts and revise them? It's been 7 years since I did them and to be honest can't remember much of the content at all. Or does ELM ease you into things and understand that some people haven't recently done HSFY?

A lot of the cells and biochem content isn't that useful for ELM, given how much content there is and how little of it pops up. HUBS is a lot more relevant, and while ELM does teach from the ground up, it's a lot faster/more content than HUBS. So I think knowing the HUBS content will definitely help some in ELM, if you have the inclination/want to spare the time.

TheGuru

I called Otago today the lady said all interview offers should be out by the end of May and to start looking at your evision account from today onwards.

Good Luck to everyone who has applied.
Thanks for the update, judgement day is near, dreams will be realized or crushed.