Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

[Undergrad] Pre-UMAT 2017 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
I spent a ridic amount of time before I just guessed it, It was a huge waste of time, because if I spent a significant amount of more time I could have worked out the answer, but that would have required more time spent

I think this is an example which isn't representative of the real UMAT exam with the ME exams. A single problem solving question has 7 stems? Like really? I think you have to assign a bit more time for that half page of text at the beginning of the first question.

faysapprentice

Yeah, I did it last year and definitely don't recall their being a 90% majority of problem solving questions.

In fact, we've had a couple of conversations in this thread previously about the fact it seems ME emphasise problem solving more than ACER.

@faysapprentice, which ME exams have you done?
i've done 1-6. Like i dont mean literally 90% but a good like 50-60% in the real umat versus 15-20% in medentry

Dnnysn

I think this is an example which isn't representative of the real UMAT exam with the ME exams. A single problem solving question has 7 stems? Like really? I think you have to assign a bit more time for that half page of text at the beginning of the first question.
This was for one question or stem tho haha, I spent so much time rearranging equations, working out the equations, etc

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
i've done 1-6. Like i dont mean literally 90% but a good like 50-60% in the real umat versus 15-20% in medentry

I still don't recall there being that many problem solving questions, more like 1/3 - 1/4. I know what you mean though, I had a really bad S1 score in Exam 1 which jumped substantially in the next exams (probably because the number of problem solving questions decreased substantially). Haha.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
TL;DR: LMG gets philosophical...

To be honest, I feel like for actual learning and strategy/skill development, s3 is the only one where true improvements can be made. Where you can say at the end of this prep period that you honestly feel like you are demonstrably better able to do those problems. This is most certainly the case for me. The first practice exam I did, I got something like 13/42!!

For section 1, it's (largely, though not entirely) not about becoming more skillful at the cognitive processes required, it's about familiarisation and speed. I'm 'better' at doing section 1 questions, not because I'm 'smarter' (as I truly believe is the case with s3), but because I'm more effectively organised. Because I've done enough section 1 drills now where I've totally misread the questions, because I'm more efficient at determining what the useful information in the stem is, because I'm more accurate when looking at graphs designed to be deliberately misleading, or even simply because I'm more well-versed in my own skill-set that I can quickly identify questions that I shouldn't bother wasting time on. A question about ratios? Skip. I can do them, but they take me too long. I know this because I've experienced them. If I finish early (lol), I'll come back, but I'm not wasting three questions worth of time on one.

And, for me, that's the benefit of section 1 prep. Understanding where your deficits lie and working more efficiently. The flow on effect of this (and of getting better at section 3) is, you free up that most valuable of commodities, time.

At the end of the day, the majority of people sitting UMAT are intelligent, over-achievers! Give us enough time (3 hours, 6 hours, a day) and we could all get 100th %ile. But ACER don't give us 6 hours or a day, they give us 3 hours because they know time is what's going to separate people out most effectively. Learn to make the best use of your time (either through sheer brilliance, or by recognising your limitations and working more efficiently) and you've unlocked UMAT.

In my opinion!

Last year, having never sat UMAT before, I got 92nd%ile. What separated me from the people who got 96+ and an offer at UTAS? Time. Or, more importantly, the fact that I ran out of it. I had about 12 questions that I had to simply guess. I didn't even read the text for them. Could I have successfully completed enough of them to get 96+ given a few more minutes? 92nd%ile on 134-12 questions says yes. But I was too slow, so I didn't.

Talking yourself out of believing in the prep you've devoted time and money to doing is going to undo any positive impact it might have had. You'll become cynical and angry and defeated before you've even set foot inside the exam room doors, and I've spent 8 years at University learning about why that's unhelpful in so many ways! Instead, I'm choosing to go forward through these last (agonisingly slow!) two weeks knowing that I have done everything possible to get myself across my own self-imposed 96+ line. If it happens, yay! If it doesn't, it won't be through lack of bloody trying and I'll be able to move on with the rest of my life knowing that I gave it everything and, at the end of the day, I just wasn't quite good enough.

And not being 'good enough' when you're fighting to be among the top 4% of people who are already likely around the top 10% of academic achievers is nothing to be too devastated about, to be honest! It's a ridiculously high bar, and if I fall just short, then so be it.

I've spent many years giving myself 'outs', just in case I screw something up. I was sick or I was tired or I didn't study or the exam material wasn't what we were told to expect... it's a common, understandable self-protection tactic that is usually fabricated but that I tell myself so fervently even I start to believe it. Basically, it wasn't my fault.

But if I'm going to give Medicine entry a go, and if I'm going to prepare myself for not getting there and being able to move on in the aftermath (whether to grad entry or to something else entirely)... I need to draw the line and take some responsibility. And maybe that's easy to say at My Age ( :D ) but, it's only easy to say because it's true, and it's a lesson I've learned the hard way, over and over again.

So, CLUBUMAT, my lovelies, let's do this! And let's do it with a smile on our faces and the knowledge that we've given ourselves the best shot, no matter how infuriating the process has been. If nothing else, I've not only made some freaking awesome friends for life, Medicine or no Medicine, but I can now also add two shapes together in several different ways to come up with a third!

Dnnysn

it won't be through lack of bloody trying and I'll be able to move on with the rest of my life knowing that I gave it everything and, at the end of the day, I just wasn't quite good enough.
I think the way you described the time element and S1 is 100% accurate. It's virtually impossible to get 134/134, so ID your weakness and do them later.

Also kudos for highlighting that again, that mindset is what I live by. Though with more cynical undertones. You only live one life, if you aren't doing 100% by bother at all? Some people would do anything for a fraction of the chances we have, but we get so used to it and become lazy. Be grateful of what you have and overachieve, no one is going to achieve success for you. You have a choice of being passionate, proud, happy and successful, why wouldn't you do everything to achieve that. If you fail, adapt and move on. That's what UMAT prep is essentially, trying to improve on your weaknesses by adapting to survive and compete against others.

Some people are naturally gifted and will do well without much prep, but some who aren't as naturally gifted have made significant sacrifices to prepare. Some people are doing their second year, some people sacrificed 6 months of their social life to study hours daily. You need to outdo them, you need to want it mentally more. If you're asking if my Practice exam scores are 'enough' to 'pass', you're asking the wrong question. Noone can fully prepare for UMAT and no one can definitely say, Your confidence should be based on your own strong self beliefs, not what others say.

Last edited:

nira

TL;DR: LMG gets philosophical...

To be honest, I feel like for actual learning and strategy/skill development, s3 is the only one where true improvements can be made. Where you can say at the end of this prep period that you honestly feel like you are demonstrably better able to do those problems. This is most certainly the case for me. The first practice exam I did, I got something like 13/42!!

For section 1, it's (largely, though not entirely) not about becoming more skillful at the cognitive processes required, it's about familiarisation and speed. I'm 'better' at doing section 1 questions, not because I'm 'smarter' (as I truly believe is the case with s3), but because I'm more effectively organised. Because I've done enough section 1 drills now where I've totally misread the questions, because I'm more efficient at determining what the useful information in the stem is, because I'm more accurate when looking at graphs designed to be deliberately misleading, or even simply because I'm more well-versed in my own skill-set that I can quickly identify questions that I shouldn't bother wasting time on. A question about ratios? Skip. I can do them, but they take me too long. I know this because I've experienced them. If I finish early (lol), I'll come back, but I'm not wasting three questions worth of time on one.

And, for me, that's the benefit of section 1 prep. Understanding where your deficits lie and working more efficiently. The flow on effect of this (and of getting better at section 3) is, you free up that most valuable of commodities, time.

At the end of the day, the majority of people sitting UMAT are intelligent, over-achievers! Give us enough time (3 hours, 6 hours, a day) and we could all get 100th %ile. But ACER don't give us 6 hours or a day, they give us 3 hours because they know time is what's going to separate people out most effectively. Learn to make the best use of your time (either through sheer brilliance, or by recognising your limitations and working more efficiently) and you've unlocked UMAT.

In my opinion!

Last year, having never sat UMAT before, I got 92nd%ile. What separated me from the people who got 96+ and an offer at UTAS? Time. Or, more importantly, the fact that I ran out of it. I had about 12 questions that I had to simply guess. I didn't even read the text for them. Could I have successfully completed enough of them to get 96+ given a few more minutes? 92nd%ile on 134-12 questions says yes. But I was too slow, so I didn't.

Talking yourself out of believing in the prep you've devoted time and money to doing is going to undo any positive impact it might have had. You'll become cynical and angry and defeated before you've even set foot inside the exam room doors, and I've spent 8 years at University learning about why that's unhelpful in so many ways! Instead, I'm choosing to go forward through these last (agonisingly slow!) two weeks knowing that I have done everything possible to get myself across my own self-imposed 96+ line. If it happens, yay! If it doesn't, it won't be through lack of bloody trying and I'll be able to move on with the rest of my life knowing that I gave it everything and, at the end of the day, I just wasn't quite good enough.

And not being 'good enough' when you're fighting to be among the top 4% of people who are already likely around the top 10% of academic achievers is nothing to be too devastated about, to be honest! It's a ridiculously high bar, and if I fall just short, then so be it.

I've spent many years giving myself 'outs', just in case I screw something up. I was sick or I was tired or I didn't study or the exam material wasn't what we were told to expect... it's a common, understandable self-protection tactic that is usually fabricated but that I tell myself so fervently even I start to believe it. Basically, it wasn't my fault.

But if I'm going to give Medicine entry a go, and if I'm going to prepare myself for not getting there and being able to move on in the aftermath (whether to grad entry or to something else entirely)... I need to draw the line and take some responsibility. And maybe that's easy to say at My Age ( :D ) but, it's only easy to say because it's true, and it's a lesson I've learned the hard way, over and over again.

So, CLUBUMAT, my lovelies, let's do this! And let's do it with a smile on our faces and the knowledge that we've given ourselves the best shot, no matter how infuriating the process has been. If nothing else, I've not only made some freaking awesome friends for life, Medicine or no Medicine, but I can now also add two shapes together in several different ways to come up with a third!
wow this is beautiful, cant fault. 900% agree.
thank you for not only an inspirational message but also a very informative one.
GO CLUBUMAT.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Firstly, thank you all (or at least some of you!) for not thinking I'd gone off my rocker those few hours ago! I was getting ready to do exam 9 and I stand by what I rambled on about :D

And speaking of, for those still interested in these things:

ME Exam Nine
97/134
92nd %ile (it's haunting me, isn't it?!)
33/48 (81st %ile)
33/44 (95th %ile - freaking YAY, ISTG)
31/42 (81st %ile)

Overall thoughts: I'm really pleased with this effort. I think it's solid all around, particularly given I think the exam itself was quite difficult. A lot of the section 2 passages were really long, reading time-wise, and there were some section 1 stems that had 6 or so questions associated to them, which always intimidate me.

General reflection: At the start of this prep period, I was loving UMAT. Loving the thought of doing it again (weird as that seems!). Loving the camaraderie of the experience. Then it kinda fell away and I lost motivation. This is me getting back in the freaking saddle!

Plans: Work on Missing Segment questions, because I suck at them and I don't think I need to! ME exam 10, and ACER exam 1 still to go.

Two weeks from now it'll be done and dusted, folks, OMG!

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Day 18:

With two more weeks to go, I am going to slow down with UMAT practice. I am kinda getting busier as well as I have well and truly gone past the target I'd initially set for myself in terms of the amount of prep so it's time for me to start enjoying my break a little bit. Today was the last day to do drills and I did two section 1 drills. For the drills I did today, I got 18/25 for the first one and 16/25 for the second.

For rest of the holidays, I am only going to do two more exams and the questions on UMAT app. That'll be it for my prep. Expect two more mini-blogs! Good luck with your preparations everyone. :)

Concon

Hey guys, so it looks like everyone got their admission tickets today #cringyphotosftw

You're all probably sick of these 'what score can i expect' but right now im freaking out and need guidance lol. If anyone could give an estimate so that I can brace myself/be motivated for the actual thing I would appreciate it :)

These are my scores so far
ACER
#1 = 106
#2 = 93 (did this few months ago tho)
#3 = 105

Medentry
Exam 1: 71/134
2: 81/134
3: 87/134
4: 86/134
5: 76/134
6: 86/134

Avg Mark = 81/134
Avg %tile = 56

Thanks so much, I hope everyones prep is going well!

HZL

Hey guys, hope everyone's prep is going well!

I was wondering if anyone has tips as to how I can improve on problem solving questions? I find them so hard and they are seriously dragging down my S1 score. I feel like doing the drills aren't helping me much because learning how to do a certain question does not help with another since there isn't a set formula like s3, or at least I haven't found one yet.

Thanks, and good luck:)

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Day Minus 14.

The trap is set. Like lambs to the slaughter, to be turned into those delicious cutlets you get for a high price at the supermarket; I observe the multitude and the mix of dread, confidence, and preparation rituals that they perform before The Big Day. As in the past tribal culture might perform a rain dance, and be greeted by the monsoonal storm that comes thereafter. But little do they know that this is the kind of storm that requires evacuation to the high ground - there are no warning sirens for this, just the voices of those swept away by it all. The Get Out While You Cans already got out while they could.

Some will make it out alive; alive in the sense that they feel whole and not filled with the void of realisation that they are not the five percent - those that get to continue Plan A. But these are not the lucky ones - a quick death is preferable to the long drawn out one that awaits.

Like lambs to the slaughter indeed.

I received a request to teach UMAT again today for a reasonable sum. I politely declined. I much prefer to observe instead as major life decisions are made for the fledglings. Some are prepared. Others will learn the hard way. Yet others will be swallowed by the predator that is the state of being average - as statistically one is most likely to be, and which is unfavoured in medicine selection.

Within the chaos I find few that have prepared a soft landing for themselves in all of this. Those that have livelihoods and careers independent of it all, such as everyone's favourite clinical psychologist. To know that either outcome is acceptable, and favourable - this is where you should place yourself, and yet it appears so few have the foresight to place themselves accordingly.

For those who are not swallowed up by it all - there's always a bigger fish, one that can eat your relationships, livelihoods, and ideals - and for those who made it out the first time - we're in for it this time, myself included.

14 days is a long time to observe, and prepare.

1. The persona is:
a. reticent
b. introspective
c. overcautious
d. David Attenborough

2. The 'bigger fish' is:
a. A medical career
b. Regret
c. Study
d. Stress

Last edited:

nira

Day Minus 14.

The trap is set. Like lambs to the slaughter, to be turned into those delicious cutlets you get for a high price at the supermarket; I observe the multitude and the mix of dread, confidence, and preparation rituals that they perform before The Big Day. As in the past tribal culture might perform a rain dance, and be greeted by the monsoonal storm that comes thereafter. But little do they know that this is the kind of storm that requires evacuation to the high ground - there are no warning sirens for this, just the voices of those swept away by it all. The Get Out While You Cans already got out while they could.

Some will make it out alive; alive in the sense that they feel whole and not filled with the void of realisation that they are not the five percent - those that get to continue Plan A. But these are not the lucky ones - a quick death is preferable to the long drawn out one that awaits.

Like lambs to the slaughter indeed.

I received a request to teach UMAT again today for a reasonable sum. I politely declined. I much prefer to observe instead as major life decisions are made for the fledglings. Some are prepared. Others will learn the hard way. Yet others will be swallowed by the predator that is the state of being average - as statistically one is most likely to be, and which is unfavoured in medicine selection.

Within the chaos I find few that have prepared a soft landing for themselves in all of this. Those that have livelihoods and careers independent of it all, such as everyone's favourite clinical psychologist. To know that either outcome is acceptable, and favourable - this is where you should place yourself, and yet it appears so few have the foresight to place themselves accordingly.

For those who are not swallowed up by it all - there's always a bigger fish, one that can eat your relationships, livelihoods, and ideals - and for those who made it out the first time - we're in for it this time, myself included.

14 days is a long time to observe, and prepare.

1. The persona is:
a. reticent
b. introspective
c. overcautious
d. David Attenborough

2. The 'bigger fish' is:
a. A medical career
b. Regret
c. Study
d. Stress
Holy shit @Mana. You should give your self a gold star for writing this.

1. DDDDDDDDD!!!!!
2.A!

Concon

Oh, also not sure if anyone did a write up on Curtin Med yet but I went to their info session earlier this year and the admissions officer gave me some stats:

- Avg ATAR was 98.80 last year
- Lowest UMAT was 150 *he had an 'incredible' ATAR though
- Apparently someone with 96 had a shot but blew the interview
- They are absolutely looking for people interested in rural medicine and primary practice - dont tell them you wanna be a neurosurgeon ;)

Guys, quick question:
on last year's UMAT, was there a lot of doctor-patient interactions or was it more short story passages which are super descriptive? and also were they extremely long like the ones in ME??

(I suck at short story passages :/)

nira

Exam 7:
Overall: 94/134 = 78 percentile
S1: 34/48 = 78 percentile
S2: 28/44 = 58 percentile
S3: 32/42 = 81 percentile

:( not happy, but completed in 2 hrs 30.
WTF ace, i was going full speed on that exam, just finishing on time and still only got around 90s. how the hell did you finish with 30mins spare.
freaking god. haha

tomleegolf

4th year MbChB
For those that have done the extra 5 exams, how did you do on Exam 14? It was my worst exam by far, I got 63/134 lol after getting mid 90s for my previous few exams. The S1 was ridiculously complicated, and I ended up guessing a good portion of it. Only got 19/48 for S1 :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.