Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Second Round Offers

Vidyaa

Hi there,

I know that JCU accepted around 200 kids last year. I heard that most of the kids who got through got their offers in round 1. Do you know how many kids are accepted in round 2?

Cheers x

A1

Rookie Doc
JCU is slightly different so I should point this out first. Most other unis do two interview rounds, one before plus one after 1st offer round (mainly for interstate applicants so they can decide to save travel costs if already have a home state offer). The 2nd offer round thus has a decent number of places set aside for the 2nd round interviewees.

JCU does two interview rounds one before plus one after ATAR release dates, but both are before the 1st offer round so they can actually release all 170 place offers in that lot. Any 2nd round offers are only from those declining their offers. If you press for a number I'd guess maybe 20-30.

Vidyaa

JCU is slightly different so I should point this out first. Most other unis do two interview rounds, one before plus one after 1st offer round (mainly for interstate applicants so they can decide to save travel costs if already have a home state offer). The 2nd offer round thus has a decent number of places set aside for the 2nd round interviewees.

JCU does two interview rounds one before plus one after ATAR release dates, but both are before the 1st offer round so they can actually release all 170 place offers in that lot. Any 2nd round offers are only from those declining their offers. If you press for a number I'd guess maybe 20-30.

Okay so what if you get a bad predicted score but then your final atar improves significantly (I do IB so this could actually happen). In which case, would you still get an offer for interview after 1st round at all? My predicted is around 97 right now. I am not interstate and not rural.

Vidyaa

Okay so what if you get a bad predicted score but then your final atar improves significantly (I do IB so this could actually happen). In which case, would you still get an offer for interview after 1st round at all? My predicted is around 97 right now. I am not interstate and not rural.

Also my atar gets released later than other QCS students in my state (around 6th Jan). First round offers are released a few days after. Does that mean there is still a chance for interviews then?

A1

Rookie Doc
Also my atar gets released later than other QCS students in my state (around 6th Jan). First round offers are released a few days after. Does that mean there is still a chance for interviews then?

You can only get a place offer (1st/2nd offer round doesn't matter) if you have done an interview. So the question is, if you miss the 1st interview round will your ATAR/IB results come out in time for the 2nd. There was a discussion on this last year in the Interview Offers or the JCU Interview thread by someone doing IB in SA. I vaguely remember the outcome was although the results came out around 6th Jan they had been given to JCU a few days before to fit them into 2nd interview round.

Vidyaa

ZOMMGG okay thanks! Also, is there any way to make sure that they received your results before the 2nd interview round?
When is the 2nd interview anyway, dates wise?

A1

Rookie Doc
ZOMMGG okay thanks! Also, is there any way to make sure that they received your results before the 2nd interview round?
When is the 2nd interview anyway, dates wise?

https://www.jcu.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/272756/2018-MBBS-Info-Sheet.pdf

1st interview round 28 Nov - 7 Dec, 2nd round 4-5 Jan.

Last year 2nd round invites came out 28 Dec, I guess you should call JCU around then to see if they have your results
Interview offers & dates 2016-17
Interview offers & dates 2016-17

A1

Rookie Doc
And also, my results release 6th Jan yet they do interviews from 4-5. :(

You are right to feel concerned, given the big time gap between interview offer and IB result dates I can only suggest you ask JCU directly how they deal with this.

Incidentally I found this news
No more month-long wait for uni offers for HSC students

UAC is changing 1st offer round (usually mid Jan) to "Dec round" for 21 Dec. But that's before IB results, before UNSW's actual-ATAR interviews, so Med offers may be delayed to the Jan round instead.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Incidentally I found this news
No more month-long wait for uni offers for HSC students

UAC is changing 1st offer round (usually mid Jan) to "Dec round" for 21 Dec. But that's before IB results, before UNSW's actual-ATAR interviews, so Med offers may be delayed to the Jan round instead.

It's only for HSC students, too. It states interstate and IB students have to wait 3 more weeks :(

(Though, like you've suggested, maybe UNSW/all NSW Med offers will also be later.)

Vidyaa

Thanks so much for responding guys!
Do you think JCU admissions are the type to listen if I put forth a request like that?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey again guys, my predicted is 96.75. Non rural, standard. Would this be sufficient for an interview?

I believe you'd probably need something closer to 98.0 given you're not from a rural background, unfortunately. B2 might be able to clarify.

B2

Hey again guys, my predicted is 96.75. Non rural, standard. Would this be sufficient for an interview?

First round offers are based very highly on your written application for JCU. Depending on how good that is, will determine what comparative ATAR you need for an interview. 96.75 is pushing it unless you have an absolute spectacular written application that they don't want to turn down. Don't lose hope as your actual ATAR may turn out higher which puts you in the running for a second round interview.

A1

Rookie Doc

Vidyaa

Update guys.
So I just found out that my actual predicted is 95.85. I don't stand a chance for an interview.

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 3.47.26 pm.png

A1

Rookie Doc
Update guys.
So I just found out that my actual predicted is 95.85. I don't stand a chance for an interview.

The reply says it doesn't mean you are out. But best to ask your school for a revised predicted, explain to them since IB results come out later than ATAR you don't get a chance to use your actual, thus reason for a more generous predicted. It's no harm to the school anyway.

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
The reply says it doesn't mean you are out. But best to ask your school for a revised predicted, explain to them since IB results come out later than ATAR you don't get a chance to use your actual, thus reason for a more generous predicted. It's no harm to the school anyway.
A1 I agree that it absolutely does not hurt to ask. There might have been an error.

I think the school academic office will probably not share your view about a more generous estimate doing no harm... they are typically very careful in trying to reach an accurate, professional estimate.

Last edited: