Stethoscopes

Discussion in 'Studying Medicine' started by isuru, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Kat92

Kat92 Student (BDemCare, BBeSt). Hopeful for JMP 2020

Hi guys,

I am having trouble with some higher sound frequencies and may need amplification depending on what the audiologist says, so which stethoscope would be good?

Currently my stethoscope that I have is letting me down as I am straining to hear blood pressure sounds and certain heart sounds. I am wondering, becuase it was a cheap gift from the TAFE I was doing another health course through, whether purchasing one of the littmann stethoscopes might help my problem hearing those sounds.

2. pi

pi Monash MBBS(Hons) BMedSc(Hons) Moderator

A Littmann would certainly help.

I haven't come across your posts before, but are you a medical student? Doctor? Nurse? Regardless, I'd start with the Littmann classic range, perhaps trying a model out in your local uni bookstore if possible or borrowing a colleagues. I wouldn't be fishing out for other models unless you're a medical student or doctor and if you need it.

3. Kat92

Thanks for the advice.

I am a new member that has signed up after hearing about this site, so I thought I would check it out for UMAT practice as I am looking to do the JMP program in a few years time.

I certainly need a new stethoscope when I go back to do a final prac component at one of the local hospitals, plus one of the doctors said he would show me some extra things seeing as it is a rural setting- which I am most grateful for!

On a side note I am a trained AIN, AHA and MEDASST, have completed an antaomy course with a very high HD and currently doing BDemCare and BBest(Psych Major and Minor Sociology). So some of my posts may have med terms and abbreviations interleaved occasionally ;)

4. frootloop

frootloop Not this time. Moderator

I genuinely have no idea what any of the first three acronyms mean haha, help?

5. Kat92

Assistant in Nursing, Allied Health Assistant, Medical Assistant.
    BDemCare- is Bachelor of Dementia Care dealing with Neuroscience, Palliative Care and stuff like that.
    BBest- is Bachelor of Social Science.