1. Congratulations to all who finished UMAT 2017!
    Dismiss Notice

UMAT tutor

Discussion in 'Paid preparation' started by MMMBop, Apr 4, 2017.

1. MMMBop

MMMBop Member

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering if there is anyone in CHCH who could tutor me in UMAT?
    I'm struggling with UMAT and need a buddy to help go over some questions, discuss how to arrive at answers etc.
    Preferably someone studying medicine in the Christchurch school of medicine.
    I am applying for graduate entry, so if there are any graduate entry students in CHCH that would be ideal as you could share your experience.

I know many of you probably never want to see UMAT ever again! But there may be something in it for you ;)
    Message me if you are interested!

Thanks in advance!

2. frootloop

frootloop Not this time. Moderator

I've moved your post to the appropriate subforum - we like to keep all the tutoring stuff in one place :)

On principle (not being a big believer in UMAT prep) I won't take your money, but I'm a 5th year medic at the Uni of Otago, Chch if you wanted someone to go over some UMAT stuff with.

Cyrus and Dr.Blunt like this.
  3. Dr.Blunt

Dr.Blunt Member

@frootloop I know this is an old post but honestly just hats off to you for sticking to your principles despite knowning full well you had some leverage and could have got money. You're going to make an amazing doctor, I can tell :).

Cyrus likes this.
  4. frootloop

frootloop Not this time. Moderator

I certainly could've made some serious money as a preclinical med student down in Dunedin, but it just seemed thoroughly unethical. I did a bit of tutoring for the university's Disability Information and Support department, and I tutored the younger brother of a good friend (who forced money on me despite my protests), but otherwise I avoided direct HSFY tutoring. I definitely understand Early Learning in Medicine students doing some tutoring to earn money (the government barely gives us enough to live on, after all!), but there's a balance to find.

Tutoring talented students who need a little bit of tutoring to push them into an A+ in their HSFY papers? That's fine? Scamming a student with little-no hope into paying $$$ for sessions that won't help them? That's unethical.

And I've seen the evidence, I know UMAT 'preparation' isn't helpful - that's a hard fact to challenge on the basis of the evidence. Charging big bucks for UMAT preparation tutoring is therefore unethical, it's pretty hard to argue that. I'm happy to give my 'tips' for sitting the exam for free, as I believe everyone should be.

Edit:
    As for being a good doctor... That remains to be seen, but thanks :p

Dr.Blunt likes this.