Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMelb MBBS

Body

Originally posted by kevin@Apr 21 2007, 12:06 AM
Sorry. I don't believe you. BS confidentiality, you could always PM it.
[snapback]39635[/snapback]​

PM it? Why would I do that when I can talk (USE SPEECH? shock horror!) to her at uni?

And yes - you should all go to the soccer game.

M

magic

okay ....im a lil confused so not sure whether to post this here...please forgive me if ur the evil type ....;)
i think every1 would be aware of the new biomedicine course... so if u decide to take that course.. planning to go to med...n say u dont get into med...ur gpa might be low or something... wat will be ur career opportunities with a biomedicine degree??

Veon

Scientist.

UMelb's NewGen degrees aren't really about working as stand-alone qualifications. They're waiting-rooms for their 'Masters' degrees.

hschoi319

hey. im aware there's 'guranteed entry' for people who have enter of 99.5 and did biomed. is this only for med? or dentistry as well??

vexx

hey. im aware there's 'guranteed entry' for people who have enter of 99.5 and did biomed. is this only for med? or dentistry as well??

yeah for dent as well.
its 99.00 for full-fee and 99.90 for CSP

BTW. it is confirmed from melbourne after i spoke to them:

this is the final year they will have full-fee guarantee for students (then for med it'll be 99.90 only for guaranteed) and even if you get 99.00 it's not that likely you'll get in if you finish this year as there aren't many full-fee places.

they were stupid to have it in the first place as it raises people's hopes. but i guess if your lucky its not stupid at all:)

so yep, 99.90 from 2011 graduates from school only.
(hopefully they confirm this on the website soon)

hpfanfiction

Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital
Emeritus Staff
I think the 99.9 scheme is generous :) considering it doesn't req umat or even an application at this stage, even if they say the MD is subject to communic skills . The gpa req is a challenge too but people in that threshold are def capable of it if they work hard enough. Will the prov spot for 99.9/95ers be unbonded csp though?

vexx

I think the 99.9 scheme is generous :) considering it doesn't req umat or even an application at this stage, even if they say the MD is subject to communic skills . The gpa req is a challenge too but people in that threshold are def capable of it if they work hard enough. Will the prov spot for 99.9/95ers be unbonded csp though?

yeah its unbonded, and THAT they CAN actually guarantee.

since there would be only a few that did get 99.90+ AND going to do a degree at melbourne AND wanting to do medicine AND getting 75%+/satisfactory interview

hpfanfiction

Emeritus Staff
There are actually heaps of 99.9+ people ESP if that offer is open to students aus-wide, but yeah maybe they wouldn't all be prepared to move or even want to do med ther. maybe I like the scheme because it would have worked to my advantage if it had existed during my entry year. In hindsight the sec 1 weighting, emphasis on ter and lack of interview worked to my adv too so not complaining but having the guarantee of an unbonded csp irresp of umat or Gamsat and a seemingly nominal interview , subject to gpa of course, would have reduced strss over the one-off make or break umat. Usyd has a similar scheme too right?

vexx

There are actually heaps of 99.9+ people ESP if that offer is open to students aus-wide, but yeah maybe they wouldn't all be prepared to move or even want to do med ther. maybe I like the scheme because it would have worked to my advantage if it had existed during my entry year. In hindsight the sec 1 weighting, emphasis on ter and lack of interview worked to my adv too so not complaining but having the guarantee of an unbonded csp irresp of umat or Gamsat and a seemingly nominal interview , subject to gpa of course, would have reduced strss over the one-off make or break umat. Usyd has a similar scheme too right?

yeah there wouldn't be that many that would up part of the guarantee if you think about it. most who get 99.90+ wanting to do med would find a way to do it undergrad unless they are poor at the umat.

yeah usyd is 99.95 and interview and its fully guaranteed.

hpfanfiction

Emeritus Staff
I still feel like a lot of people would be eligible given the relatively few options for people with 99.95 and extremely low umats. I wonder if there's any kind of correl between ter and umat, anecdotally at least seems like there isn't but stats would be interesting. Despite jcu, it still favours rural people and a good app is necessary ie wouldn't be as easy to get into for this group of people as unimelb or usyd prov. I wonder if they'd scale unimarks if too many people get the gpa req, or if the interview will have more of a bearing and become less of a formality .

I'm really glad these schemes exist as my heart goes out to the high99 med hopefuls who comletely stuff up the umat. Of course if umats mediocre rather than extremely low then they're a chance at places Like unsw and uwa where ter isn't a threshold.

Luckily each uni has diff emphasis on the compnents so hopefully there will be an admissions process which suits a person's indiv strengths, but still, prov with no umat or gamsat sounds less daunting than grad md

vexx

yeah depending on your strength there's always the 'best' uni for you.

personally i like the unsw one where the TER can be higher and the UMAT lower, that way it's not like monash where the X %ile requires an interview. but i love how monash's emphasis is on the interview.

meh we'll see when i get my scores, i sense i will do poor at the umat though because i fail section 1 so badly- oh well.

hpfanfiction

Emeritus Staff
Uwa is like that too and in fact, I heard that unsw modelled their admin system on uwa's orig 1/3 each weighting though I could be wrong. It's a lot fairer and actually , uwa has moved to a 20/40/40% weighting now with 20 being the umat. Is that a bit mor like adel maybe?

I agree cutoff/threshold systems ar

hpfanfiction

Emeritus Staff
oops, aren't quite as fair but at least they offer hope to people who wouldn't otherise be able to get in

edit. and vexx at least sec 1 is somewhat improveable plus you have the benefit of time as you startEd working towards med entry so long ago. Gluck :) but I think you'll be fine

Last edited:

vexx

oops, aren't quite as fair but at least they offer hope to people who wouldn't otherise be able to get in

edit. and vexx at least sec 1 is somewhat improveable plus you have the benefit of time as you startEd working towards med entry so long ago. Gluck :) but I think you'll be fine

haha well i did one that course a week ago and did really bad at that section and drilled a drill since and did poor at it again.

i lack motivation now because i feel i will never improve (i probs will but i cant be bothered)

mehhh thanks ! goodluck at med school, hopefully i will be joining next year

hpfanfiction

Emeritus Staff
Thanks^^ but aw try to stay motivated to keep up the umat prep,you will imrove with more practice but even in the worst case scenario where you stuff up umat you'll still have unimelb prov as a backup because of your 99.95 ter :D plus you can stay in your homestate:).

vexx

Thanks^^ but aw try to stay motivated to keep up the umat prep,you will imrove with more practice but even in the worst case scenario where you stuff up umat you'll still have unimelb prov as a backup because of your 99.95 ter :D plus you can stay in your homestate:).

haha there's no way i would ever get 99.90+ even 99+ seems pretty difficult but that's my aim since i may want to go to UQ.

come on umatttttttt!!!!

hpfanfiction

Emeritus Staff
It's not difficult though it requires a lot of effort unless you're brilliant. uq has bonus pts too so if youre doing spec and maybe a language, that would help a lot.

I find the op system unfair as I feel it doesn't differentiate enough, but that's a whole other topic

vexx

It's not difficult though it requires a lot of effort unless you're brilliant. uq has bonus pts too so if youre doing spec and maybe a language, that would help a lot.

I find the op system unfair as I feel it doesn't differentiate enough, but that's a whole other topic

of course the op system is unfair, its much easier to get a TER 99+ in the QLD system (op1)

anyway, there is no way, with however amount of effort i wish to put in i will be able to achieve an ENTER of 99.90.
(99.95 is just a joke, i mean as if it's possible to get five perfect scores)

so i'm aiming for 99 :)

hpfanfiction

Emeritus Staff
It's not unfair in that way (or if it is, how/why is op1 in qld easier than an atar of 99?) . To me it's unfair because 99 is treated the same as 99.95, there's a huge difference in marks and effort required.

99 is setting the bar too low:p go for 99.95 :D

and it's more likely to be a couple of perfect ones and the rest high90s which get scaled uptp 100

you don't need straight raw 100s to get the highest possible ter...

vexx

It's not unfair in that way (or if it is, how/why is op1 in qld easier than an atar of 99?) . To me it's unfair because 99 is treated the same as 99.95, there's a huge difference in marks and effort required.

99 is setting the bar too low:p go for 99.95 :D

and it's more likely to be a couple of perfect ones and the rest high90s which get scaled uptp 100

you don't need straight raw 100s to get the highest possible ter...

well about 2.75% of the state get an OP1 whereas its <1% here, and english doesn't have to be included. i'd easily get 99+ if english wasn't included.

i think your system is different, we get study scores out of 50 which is a ranking per subject, and you need to get 5 perfect scores and a pretty solid 6th subject score to get 99.95
and a 50 is top 0.27% of people in that subject.
i'm not doing language or the hardest maths so none of my subjects scale up to 50 unless i get perfect score.
in two of my subjects i can only lose a few marks all year in both of the exams to get a 50, and the other three i need to pretty much get 100% (well two of them to get a 50 you need perfect score on both exams).
and one of those perfect scores has to be english .__.

so yeah i wont be getting anywhere near a high 99. i don't really desire it anyway :p