1. UMAT 2017 will be held on the 26th July! Good luck to all test takers!

Dismiss Notice

Undergraduate degree Flinders or any ?

Discussion in 'International Students' started by VARUNN, Jul 12, 2017.

1. VARUNN

VARUNN New Member

Hey guys , I am looking to join an undergraduate degree in Australia . I am from India and want to do my pre -med in Oz and do my GAMSAT to get a med offeerr.... My concern is how difficult is it to get a GPA of 5 and above also I am used to study 8 hrs a day ?? and about the possibility of joining flinders for pre med as they have quite flexible options for their own students to join MD ?? I want to be risk free as I have no other aims or second choices other than med so a good GPA is my frst preference so that I have second chances at GAMSAT . So please help me out !!

2. Mana

Mana Intern (UNDS MBBS) Administrator

Junior Medical Officer
    Wait, you want to be 'risk free' despite the fact that the vast majority of applicants to medicine never get in (furthermore that there are far fewer places for international students?)

You may also want to realise that even if you do get into medicine as an international that you are not guaranteed an internship after graduation (very risky as an international student!)

I think you might be confusing medicine for another degree here - certainly the most common outcome for an applicant to medicine is that they do not gain entry.

There is no one degree subject area wise that confers an advantage into obtaining entrance into medical school.

It is not a mature decision to assume that you will gain entry into medicine - not for the purposes of interview and certainly not for the purposes of making rational life decisions.

In your position I would choose a degree that confers a pathway to a career that you would be happy with if you were never to get into medicine.

3. VARUNN

VARUNN New Member

Thanks for that Mana I knew all about these and am prepared to work hard . I have the confidence of securing a med position. Would you suggest flinders as a viable option for a good GPA score as many say middle universities have lesser burden on students ?

4. Mana

Mana Intern (UNDS MBBS) Administrator

Junior Medical Officer
    I don't think you understand what I said above - working hard does not guarantee you a medical place. It is NOT risk free anywhere in the medical pathway, and you, and everyone else applying to medicine, should have a contingency plan.

You may very well gain entry - but as the more likely situation is that you will not (and if you do you could just not get an internship making it completely useless to have even done the medical degree in the first place) what I have suggested, before you pour several years of expensive international student fees and several years of not being able to work a full time job is that by the time you finish the degree it would be useful for something OTHER than getting into medicine.

If you have to ask which courses will give you a good GPA score and lesser burden then it is more than likely that you may not achieve a top score and it is also more than likely that you will not get entry into medicine (just statistically). You might very well be confident of getting a place - but so are a whole lot of other applicants, for a small number of positions. If you end up at the end of your 'pre med' degree and you haven't gained entry, what are you going to do?