Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JMP JMP: UNE Accommodation and Colleges

Syn

Alright, I'm kinda getting a bit worried with the college situation. Is it hard to get into colleges? I remember applying like last year, but for some reason, I only got the invoice last tuesday and only payed it then. Will that affect my application?

How much was the invoice for? You should only be getting invoiced if you've gotten into a college and it should say on the invoice what college that is. Check your myUNE webmail - if you don't have a login, call UNE and get one. I wouldn't worry about it, I rocked up on the first day of orientation last year and managed to get into a college :) And if you can't get into the one you want, there's always a waitlist for transfers, but all the colleges are good!

You're still alright, don't stress until it's two weeks in and you're still stuck being initiated at Albies or whatever. Seriously, all the colleges are good and you will get into one :) If not the is a government housing estate right around the corner from the colleges and there are PLENTY of couches in the library and med building.

wizzle

after exams i will take a couple if pictures of the old rooms. there are only a few unrenovated blocks at the moments. worst case scenario is that you might be in an old room for the first 6 months, but the colleges usually give medical students the better rooms. generally, the first years have the worser rooms - but me and my female friends were in nice rooms from the begninning. and the boys got old rooms because they wanted to be together. but the block where the boys were is currently being renovated. there are 7 blocks.

block 1, 2, 3 (i think block 3 is the all girls block), is new. blovk 4 is under construction. block 5 is okay, its not renovated yet (this is the alcohol free block - you can choose to go here if you want- no one is put there unless they want to be, or there's no space. haha - you can sleep in my room if you're in block 5 and are drunk. haha). block 6 will be done after block 4, and block 7 is for professors + mature age students.

hey i just got a room at mary white, but im choosing between a single ensuite in block 6 and standard plus in block 3. Are the ensuites in block 6 any good? Because i dont really like the idea of sharing 4 bathrooms between 16 ppl. But then again, those pictures of new standard plus rooms look good.
Thanks!

markpapag

Lurker
But I'd like to know the answer too :(
I just applied for college as well, does anyone know if there is a lot of room left?

markpapag

Lurker
I want Mary White... Its the closet so i can afford to slightly sleep in :$ Thanks i hope i'll be good too.

I just want them to process it already :(

Syn

my parents stayed in the ensuite at MW when I went for my interview, it's pretty nice. D&S and Duval are basically full, and unless someone rejects, you won't get in unless you were in the first round of offers that went out (sadly I wasn't one of those). Apparently EP and Austin are not full yet, so hopefully I get in there.

So I've noticed that there are contracts for the JMP offered at all the colleges (except for New College), and was wondering exactly how many weeks that would be. Still weighing up on and off campus accommodation, and my parents are being stingy misers and demanding to know the exact cost of everything...

Austin and Earl Page have an annual cricket comp (springfield vs shelbyville) and there is a town comp that a bunch of med students enter into. Austin is very involved in a lot of other sports too and generally does really well in the intercollegiate comps. Soccer is pretty big too regardless of what college you go to as far as I've noticed. Pretty much all college rooms are small so you'll have to get used to that!

Ok I'm leaning towards UNE over UNCLE right now, so I better start applying to colleges. I have a few questions, so bear with me here guys :)

1. Which college has the nicest (fairly big/clean) rooms and toilets (lots of toilets/not filthy)?
2. Which college has the most parties (just random parties and so on) and social functions?
3. I had a look at the college websites, and apparently only Earle Page plays cricket? It's the only one to list it on its website. Have the other colleges simply left it out or do they really not play cricket? Because cricket and soccer are my main sports, and I'd love to play both there.

I'm not interested in St. Alberts, Mary White, or Wright Village, so if anyone could answer the questions regarding the other colleges, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Austin and Earl Page have an annual cricket comp (springfield vs shelbyville) and there is a town comp that a bunch of med students enter into. Austin is very involved in a lot of other sports too and generally does really well in the intercollegiate comps. Soccer is pretty big too regardless of what college you go to as far as I've noticed. Pretty much all college rooms are small so you'll have to get used to that!

Hi Guys! With colleges at New England which college do most of the medicine students tend to go to? Also, I would love to go to a college with a strong sports culture but not an outrageous party scene. If anyone had any advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Fp10

Hi all,

I'm going to be starting med at the UNE this year and have already organised a standard plus room at the mary white college.

I was just wondering if there were any essential items that any one who's spent time there would reccomend bringing. For example would anyone recommend taking a mini fridge or a small tv or anything like that?

Thanks.

bang

Hi all,

I'm going to be starting med at the UNE this year and have already organised a standard plus room at the mary white college.

I was just wondering if there were any essential items that any one who's spent time there would reccomend bringing. For example would anyone recommend taking a mini fridge or a small tv or anything like that?

Thanks.

Good question.
Yes, bar fridge is a fantastic idea although u can buy one from harvey norman here and not have to carry it up (depending on where you live). Few things you should bring is, pillow, blanket, sheets, extension cords and power boards.

That's all I can think of, will update if I remember anything else.

iStudent

Just to add to Amir's list of things you MIGHT want to bring (because these won't be given by the college)
Ethernet cable < absolute essential here
Alarm clock
Fan (usually cold in Armidale, but can be considered)
Nail clippers
Drinking cup
Batteries
Detergent/dish soap/sponge
Silverware, cups, plates etc + a jug for water can be considered (or use a kettle or filter such as Brita)
Food storage containners
Towel
Soap
Personal hygiene items (shampoo, condition, toothbrush/paste)
Flips flops (for shower - coz distance from shower to room is quite a bit and you may not want to walk it barefoot considering how dirty the floor can be)
Paper towels
Clothes hanger
Umbrella
Formal clothing (suit etc - not required for med, but social events)
Printer w/paper (a rather expensive printing service can be found at Mary White + library but you might find a <$50 printer more convenient)
They provide a small trash can, if I am correct

Most of these items can be bought at Armidale or if you're driving up here - can take it in your car :)
There's a Big W, Kmart, Target, Woolworths, Coles, Aldi, discount shops and even bunnings + others I forgot/don't go to.