1. Congratulations to all who finished UMAT 2017!
    Dismiss Notice

What are my options for public health in australia?

Discussion in 'International Students' started by Casper91, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Casper91

Casper91 New Member

Hello,
    I am a recent graduate of dentistry(BDS) from Syria, and I would like to pursue an education in public health.

My GPA is very low 2.2/4 , I have a voluntary experience in NGO for 4 years during college, and I don't know whether I should be thinking about applying in one of those universities because I am not confident about my GPA even in presence of job experience. Do I have a shot with those universities and is there other universities or institutions that offer other public health degrees? (and if there are any public health degrees relevant to dentistry)

I also want to know about the reputation of those degrees from Australia, do they get you a good career opportunity? or are they just expensive degrees you pay for to add another line to your CV?

Does anyone have an idea that if I hypothetically get admitted, will it be easy or hard to get a student visa to Australia? or does the university take care of it??

2. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
    I took a quick look, didn't see any PH degree particularly linked to Dentistry (except for Oral Health which is at a lower professional level than Dentistry). Entry requirements are not high or competitive, your 2.2/4 GPA should not be a problem.

Side effect of non-limited enrolments is there are more students in it than demand. I think job prospects here are not good for international students.

Obtaining student visa is relatively easy. The uni doesn't take care of it but you only need to show an offer of enrolment plus funds sufficient for one year's fees & around $20k living expenses, then renew every year.