What's more important - living your life or chasing your dream?

Discussion in 'Studying Medicine' started by B-asdfghjkl, Apr 19, 2017.

1. B-asdfghjkl

B-asdfghjkl Member

EDIT: thanks for your advice guys!! I guess you're right, medicine is harder to get in so there's not much point in throwing it away. Definitely ruled out the second option. I do however think I might take a gap year regardless as there are a few things on my bucket list that I'd like to tick off, and then go back to medicine the year after. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 8:04 AM
  2. pi

pi Monash MBBS(Hons) V, BMedSc(Hons) Moderator

From your previous posts, are you a Griffiths student? Honestly, I think you should stay where you are - you might not get another chance to enter medicine and my advice always is to grab them with two hands when they come your way. The Melbourne MD is a great course, but the people who study it are going to be very similar to the people in any other med course, you're not really missing out on much from that perspective.

3. iStudent

iStudent Member

You're really going to go through the stresses of GAMSAT, interviews and whatnot because of that reason? :O
    I agree with pi, I'd stick with your current program. It looks like you're going through something at the moment though, but hey it might get better once you start medicine :)

4. frootloop

frootloop Six years down, two to go Moderator

Why would you need to take a gap year or go off and do pharmacy? Surely you could sit GAMSAT this year while completing your undergrad degree. Then, if you got info UMelb you'd have a straight choice of whether to go there or to Griffith next year for med, rather than having to fluff around with gap years or pharmacy degrees.

You can sit GAMSAT during the last year of an undergrad degree, right? Isn't that the whole point? Or am I missing something?

But yeah I'm with the other two. Most medical school applicants don't get in. So there's zero point throwing away a guaranteed place at one school just to make an application at another.

5. pi

pi Monash MBBS(Hons) V, BMedSc(Hons) Moderator

The GAMSAT was held about a month ago @frootloop haha

6. frootloop

I thought it was held twice a year - or is the second one too late for applications? (If so, that seems... weird)

7. A1

A1 Moderator Moderator

UWA MD minus-III
    It's not weird... the Sept one is meant for UK whose seasons & unis, as you know, are 6 months out of whack :rolleyes:

8. frootloop

Oh right, I hadn't realised that GAMSAT was used outside Australia - ACER must love the extra $ they'd get out of that.