Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UNSW UNSW Medicine: Accommodation and Colleges

Colleges at UNSW

HAHA This looks like it is heading towards a good old-fashioned show-down between ex-Collegians re UNSW Colleges. Nothing like the old rivalry eh? That's why I joined up today to post my own 2 bob's worth! Snuffbox is clearly a New College res - it is def not the newest and is rather run-down.

I'm in third year Med and went to Basser but before that I was at the 'dreaded' Warrane. It's funny how it has that sort of reputation. I didn't really escape Warrane but quite a couple of mates moved to UNSW and were at Basser so I went to join them. I made some good friends at Warrane and they are good blokes. They also have good tutors, a couple of whom I am still mates with.

I think the Warrane reputation comes from the girl policy - which seems much worse from outside. Basically b/c it is all male and Catholic, you can't take girls upstairs to your room... I actually met my girlfriend through a Warrane guy so that puts the all-male thing in perspective...

Also some might be put off by the 'attention' you get. There are heaps of academic and residential tutors, and formal dinner every week, which you sort of have to go to. If you're keen on high-achieving or if you might need some encouraging to study, then it could be a good option. It is also good for sport, inter-floor rivalry, pub nights, and quite entertaining 'cultural' evenings. There is a staff member who is Irish and St Pats did go off! You can drink where and when you like but they don't like you play 'drinking games' etc. basically they don't want people to get drunk...

Like UNSW88 said, Warrane is probably the food pick from UNSW - much better that Kensos & New (Shalom is annoying due to Kosher rules). At Warrane the good old HA (what does it stand for again?) put on a good formal dinner meal and clean 3x a week which is a pain b/c you have to get off your floor for an hour (another annoying thing) but i remember it is all worth it when you are allowed back on - you get your bed made and new towels and the bathrooms are clean, well, for at least half an hour...they are the ghost cleaners of Warrane b/c u never see them!

I sort of regretted moving out b/c as soon as I did, it got renovated, but apparently that was a noisy experience. Anyway, although I haven't seen them, I'm told that the facilities are now brand new. I'm flatting this year but if I was going to College I would probably choose Warrane as I'd have to admit it was good for me, as crass as that sounds! (only admit that b/c its confidential!)

For girls, I'd vote Shalom. They are getting all their bathrooms renovated now and Shalom people are the nicest! New is either geeky or for people who can't drink inside their home and get pissed outside on the hill and end up yelling at Warrane & Shalom all night, while their Anglican Dean thinks that everyone is being a good little Christian and singing kum bah ya!! HAHA had to have that stab...At least the Kensos don't hide from the fact that they are the party-hard Colleges. My pick of them would be 1-Basser, 2-Goldstein and 3-Baxter. The only thing I know about International House is that all the quiet internationals at Warrane eventually moved to IH (dead-res!)

Good luck finding the right place. Anyways, UNSW is good, but unilife nothing in comparison to Sydney Uni. I won't go into why...

wikki

hey is anyone staying in colleges at all? which one would be better new college or baxter with the kensos? i know baxter is closer but i like the idea of the common rooms at new. cheers :)

hey is anyone staying in colleges at all? which one would be better new college or baxter with the kensos? i know baxter is closer but i like the idea of the common rooms at new. cheers :)

well, i'd probably go new college, i've stayed in the kensos before and well...wasnt impressed haha. i havent been to NC but from what i've heard they're the next step up, but i guess money etc has to come into it somewhere. Closer? you mean to the med faculty? Come on, wouldn't it be good to have a decent morning walk to get to class every day :p although those stairs...:blink:

i'm staying in Shalom because i've got a scholarship for there, and it's amazing ^_^ big new rooms, each with a basin..the most 'academic' college with an imbalance of medsticks (yy)

if you're keen to just party and have a good time though, i'd say go for the kensos!

wikki

haha yeah i heard about the own basin and big rooms- sounds like Shalom would be really good. Yeah i meant closer to the med faculty although i guess a healthy walk wouldnt be so bad lol yeah well i think ill go new college then at least for first year.
Do you know if baxter or new has more med students?

wikki

yeah i know the no-drinking thing, i wasnt sure if kenso might be too full on for first year im not sure ahh decisions

wikki

haha yeah thats exactly what i was thinking about the studious environment, new is good with that too like good academic support and record
haha fair enough about the drinking aspect for you

do you know if many people are going on medcamp?

SpecialK

Although New does have a no alcohol policy, this is only in your rooms, etc. Apparently the college has a pretty big social environment, so that would mean lots of pubs...if that is your thing. New is also big on sport, seeing as it is right next to the oval, tennis courts and fitness centre. The only annoying thing would be the massive walk to the Wallace Wurth building...seeing as it on the exact opposite of the campus.
I think I read that new has a 45% Distinction or higher rating...so if study is your thing then this might be helpful.

Kenso is more noisy/less academic from what I've read on other posts/heard from other people. But the up side is, drinking on college, more parties, and closer to med facilities.

wikki

yeah kenso is closer hmm although a walk from new would help with fitness haha new would also be closer to the bus wouldnt it? i guess they both have their benefits
yeah exactly can still drink outside of the college

going to medcamp?

wikki

yeah well its great that they are so close to the oval- handy for your rugby then haha okay cool coz i just signed up for the camp

SpecialK

I'm keen to get in on cricket and tennis, and I should be going to camp. I can just see myself getting up with 10 minutes before lectures and having to make a mad dash down the walkway..

wikki

Yeah I'm 90% sure I'm going, like I'm pretty sure I will go but I'm just tinged with a shade of doubt as one of my close friends is having her 18th party back home that weekend.

And yeah New and Warrane are both on ANZAC parade, like right next to the buses.

that sucks! what annoying timing, are you not going up for O week then?

ahh 10 mins nice haha at least the mornings wont be as early as school

SpecialK

Yeah I will be there for O-week. I figure for a 9am lecture, I would need to get up at 8.25; 20 minutes for shower, dress and breakfast, then 15 min walk lol.

EDIT: When necessary this can be compressed to 10 and 10 haha...8.40 starts :)

I heard we have 8am starts (n) but I guess lecture desks were also made for sleeping on ;)

wikki

8am starts!! no wayy!! :(
haha compressed to 10 and 10 nice
it would be awesome if there was a uni shuttle or something to take you from lower campus to upper haha

i don't think i'll be going to medcamp :cry:
i'm not 18 yet and don't drink much anyway,,so it'd kinda be a waste of the whole 180 bucks..thats alot of money (for a soon-to-be poor medstick)
i hope you all have fun (yy) just avoid me with the "in" jokes the following week (n)

SpecialK

8am starts!! no wayy!! :(
haha compressed to 10 and 10 nice
it would be awesome if there was a uni shuttle or something to take you from lower campus to upper haha

Golf buggies