Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT Remarking

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Mmm I havnt really heard much success with remarking.but really, unless they make a big mistake (ie, you get in the 5% when you were doing quite well), I dont think it makes much of a difference. but as dolores says, if you are aiming for a set cutoff and you miss by so little than you could try..but most universities change their cut off each year so you dont know the cut off until the offers have been made.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
An example of a good reason for remark would be if you missed a question and then forgot to leave it blank (so every answer was wrong by one question.) In this case, since the remark is done by a human, it would be realised, and the answers to questions shifted down by one, so that the answers correspond to the right questions, and thus the mark would almost always go up.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
An example of a good reason for remark would be if you missed a question and then forgot to leave it blank (so every answer was wrong by one question.) In this case, since the remark is done by a human, it would be realised, and the answers to questions shifted down by one, so that the answers correspond to the right questions, and thus the mark would almost always go up.

wow do they actually do that? that seems fair but i thought the harsh reality was 'it was your fault' hence no remark.

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff

Has ACER ever stated they will do that? My assumption would be that ACER would be reluctant to change anyone's mark on a remark in order to protect the integrity of their marking process. If the remarks start baring fruit (and note here that nobody has mentioned a case of a remark changing their mark) then the whole system is called into question.

Candidates are advised that UMAT results are released only after careful calculation and extensive checking. Errors in scoring are highly unlikely.

and

In the unlikely case of a scoring error being found,

Suggests to me that ACER are pretty reluctant to change marks, and they are only willing to do it if the computer made an error.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
I wouldnt count on getting the UMAT remarked. an dont be angry if they dont do it

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Has ACER ever stated they will do that? My assumption would be that ACER would be reluctant to change anyone's mark on a remark in order to protect the integrity of their marking process. If the remarks start baring fruit (and note here that nobody has mentioned a case of a remark changing their mark) then the whole system is called into question.

Suggests to me that ACER are pretty reluctant to change marks, and they are only willing to do it if the computer made an error.

No, they haven't stated that they will do that, however, the remark is always done by a human to avoid stuff like incompletely erased marks showing up, and of course, the aforementioned, which has certainly occurred before, and the candidate in question had a major boost to their UMAT score.

reigniting this thread...

I just got my UMAT results and to my surprise S1 did pretty well...but I totally ****ed S2. it is the ONLY damn thing dragging me down and I'm losing like 3-4 university offers because of the 50-50-50 thing.

S1 - 63
S2 - 42
S3 - 63

I honestly did not think I screwed up the exam that bad. 42 is absolutely a joke to me but if I ask for a remark I'm scared that that 42 will sink even lower, or worse, the other two... what should I do? I know it's a personal thing, but I have totally lost it and I really need a voice of reason.

sublimeC

I think I read somewhere that the remarked results might not come back in time or be considered by universities? I don't know how much you could improve with a remark, 8 points is pretty substantial.

UMAT Veteran

I just got my UMAT results and to my surprise S1 did pretty well...but I totally ****ed S2. it is the ONLY damn thing dragging me down and I'm losing like 3-4 university offers because of the 50-50-50 thing.

S1 - 63
S2 - 42
S3 - 63

I honestly did not think I screwed up the exam that bad. 42 is absolutely a joke to me but if I ask for a remark I'm scared that that 42 will sink even lower, or worse, the other two... what should I do? I know it's a personal thing, but I have totally lost it and I really need a voice of reason.

Because the other 2 scores are awesome, i would tend to belive ACER on this one. From what i have read in this thread from last year, the ones who had it remarked and got better scores had a HUGE increase and it was uniform across all sections.

It's not uncommon for people to do what you have just done and do really well in S1 and 3 then screw up S2. the responses are too ambiguous and you must have just picked the wrong choice a few too many times. Took me a few times to get a decent score in S2.

Personally i'd leave it and keep the money i would have to pay, but if it really bugs you that much and you're gonna wonder 'what if' forever, then just do it. I doubt your marks will drop.

UMAT Veteran

So, CAN your score be lower after a remark?

yes, if they find they have made a mistake and your real score is lower than the one they gave you.......you'd wanna hope that they gave you a refund of the moeny you paid to have it remarked if this happened lol. I know they give it back when they made a mistake and have to increase your score.

Bobby21

Say, in hopefulmango's case, can he elect just to have his S2 checked or must he get all 3 checked and potentially risk lowering the other scores?

Dr.A

Legend..wait for it..
Say, in hopefulmango's case, can he elect just to have his S2 checked or must he get all 3 checked and potentially risk lowering the other scores?
Pretty sure its a full check, so there is a risk of it being even lower, or another section being lower. With that said there were similar cases with one section being lower, and it turned out they actually werent (its a frustrating situation with all these risks, and potential gains).

frizzy22

hey guys,

I was wondering if I should get my scores remarked coz my section 1 score was 46 and an overall percentile of 82. I realised about halfway through the first section that all my answers got displaced up so, after having a major freakout, I had to erase and rectify like half my answers. I thought the questions were not too bad and I felt like I did alright and this is my worst section 1 score ever (from pracs). I really want to go to UQ so is it worth remarking??

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
hey guys,

I was wondering if I should get my scores remarked coz my section 1 score was 46 and an overall percentile of 82. I realised about halfway through the first section that all my answers got displaced up so, after having a major freakout, I had to erase and rectify like half my answers. I thought the questions were not too bad and I felt like I did alright and this is my worst section 1 score ever (from pracs). I really want to go to UQ so is it worth remarking??

i dont think remarking will work in your case..:(
they will only check if what you have written matches what the computer read so It doesnt really matter if you accidently put all the answers in the wrong place (it happens frequently). sorry :(

Jackie

=D
Emeritus Staff

S1 - 63
S2 - 42
S3 - 63

You're only losing UQ's university offer. Which other ones were you looking out for?

drizzy

What's the chance that the marking computer cannot scan the shaded circles, as after finishing the exam I remember panicking about my shadings. Instead of filling in the circle, I only shaded around 1/3 or 1/2 the circle (don't know why). I received a ridiculous score of 35 for section 2, but then again, the belief that it has been genuinely marked outweighs my concern.

well considering that I didn't meet the 50-50-50 benchmark point and UWS is rumoured to remove the GWS advantage...which I missed out by 1 mark anyway, I only have UNSW to back me up.

Problem is, UNSW's table says 56 UMAT meets with AT LEAST 99.5 ATAR. that's okay because I have 99.60 but that's a minimum and with ten thousand other people battling out for a place, I doubt I'm getting anywhere.

So...technically I have nothing to lose for univerisites considering UMAT right? except for that very very slim UNSW chance of an interview.

I mean, if I do lose even more, there goes UNSW, but I still have griffiths and JCU that mainly consider ATAR.

ARGH WHAT TO DO!!!! :wacko:

You're only losing UQ's university offer. Which other ones were you looking out for?

Monash
UA
UWA
UWS
UTAS
UQ
UNSW

Other than UNSW, I actually failed all of their minimum benchmark scores some only require like a minimum overall score but in fine prints...it's like at minimum you should have passed all three sections D=

Jackie

=D
Emeritus Staff
Oh right, just noting that the 50-50-50 only applies to UQ.
That table shows the minimum required to get an interview, which you have probably achieved. It is how you perform at the interview.