Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Workload on Otago Dentistry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derp

So I managed to get in Dent:lol: even after blundering my UMAT, blitzkrieg-ing my academics and nuking my interview...:lol:

My next question is...Any one know about the workload in Dent 1st year?
Is it like HSFY? (coz I had a pretty rough time, ended up spending 10am-10pm in the lib or doing lectures...that seemed to get me in). Or is it as cruisy as some seniors say, according to them you can smoke pot and still pass...:huh:

Oh and is it true that the classes go on from 8am - 2/3pm ish?

Help a n00b out ppl!:lol:

KIWIpride

I think in 2nd year, you can "smoke pot and still pass". The only question is, do you JUST want to pass?

Perhaps not 3rd year onwards though as you start seeing patients and you should be sober in clinics, but funnily enough some of my friends still rock up to clinics and manage their patients half drunk and half stoned. and still pass with a decent grade!

I say the workload is pretty up there as you have most of the day at school (labs, lectures, tuts, and clinics) and not really enough time at home or library to do some of your own study! not to imagine the shorter amount of time you have if you'd like to fit in social drinking events as most of the cohort do.

But certainly its not like HSFY as there is no competiton nor pressure so I am sure you won't be spending that much time in the library.

Reactions: M_L

Derp

hmmm i see...someone told me med students had lower workload on the first 2 years...grrr!

btw how do you use those bars on bottom? I want one :)

GV

[offtopic]It's called a signature, you can edit it by clicking settings at the top of the page :D[/offtopic]

bagel

hey justinkabir91,
i'm a 3rd year dent student this year. I too was hoping for a cruisy year after HSFY, but sorry to say that it wasnt the case. The first semester especially was pretty full on, and i found that contact time (lectures + labs) was actually quite a bit more than HSFY. But in saying that it wasnt nearly as stressful as health sci, and although it was hectic as, it was good fun. so yeah, enjoy 2nd year :lol: oh and congrats on getting in : )

Derp

NOOO! aw snap i was hoping 1st yr will be cruisy...but oh well, at least it's not hsfy. Btw wbu later yrs? do they get more and more hectic?

bagel

from what i've heard 3rd year is a bit more relaxed (YUS!) , 4th year is hell, and 5th year is bearable.

Aztec

Lurker
hey there justinkabir91 just wondering what your avg score for your papers in Health sci were? and your umat? im freaking out coz some are saying 90% and others are saying around 87-88%ish. im just managing 88% (midterm results that is) atm and will maybe lose 2-3 after sem 1 exams, so im theoretically on a 85-86% ish.

Candy09

hey there justinkabir91 just wondering what your avg score for your papers in Health sci were? and your umat? im freaking out coz some are saying 90% and others are saying around 87-88%ish. im just managing 88% (midterm results that is) atm and will maybe lose 2-3 after sem 1 exams, so im theoretically on a 85-86% ish.

Quite a few in the class who got in with A- averages, so as long as you can keep it up with 85-86% at the end of the year its more than enough... assuming you pass the threshold for UMAT and clean up in the interview

Derp

CANDEHH!!!! Yea aztec, 85-86 should land you in dent..and keep that Umat above threshold

I had about 85 w/o my 8th paper(which was maori, super gay paper man)...and about 87ish with it...sooo yeah...

But unfortunately after getting in i'm nao "screw study, waste time" type of person...really sudden lack of motivation...oh well..

bobby190

So how many contact hours is second year otago dent per week?
how much time is there to balance out other activities like sport/work/hobbies? I ask because I know lectures you gotta go home n study but labs dont need much time, from what I know from biomed anyway.

hi alll! just another question to add..im dabbling with the possibility of doing dent this year in 2012..what kinds of things do you study in the first 2 years or so? when do we start doing practical things? the otago site is pretty useless with this info!

epikness

when do we start doing practical things?

To the best of my knowledge, there's some form of patient contact from the first year of Dentistry onwards @ Otago.

epikness

Do you guys happen to do dissections of the head by any chance - its one of the rumours I have heard...

We do dissections from the head all the way to the thorax and median cubital fossa(So we can hook patients up to IV).

It's important to know where and inch long needle is going when you're sticking it in someone's face (albeit via the oral cavity... if you completely mangle an infiltration)

So I managed to get in Dent:lol: even after blundering my UMAT, blitzkrieg-ing my academics and nuking my interview...:lol:

My next question is...Any one know about the workload in Dent 1st year?
Is it like HSFY? (coz I had a pretty rough time, ended up spending 10am-10pm in the lib or doing lectures...that seemed to get me in). Or is it as cruisy as some seniors say, according to them you can smoke pot and still pass...:huh:

Oh and is it true that the classes go on from 8am - 2/3pm ish?

Help a n00b out ppl!:lol:

Hey, can you tell me your study routine to get into dentistry? I really need to get in. And im doing HSFY next year :)
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.