Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Clinical clothes :| ?

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I think there are basically two fail areas for female medical students - one is dressing all tarty, and two is dressing all alternative. For men it's one dressing all scruffy, and two probably alternative could go in there too.

chinaski

I think the alternative look might be more of a problem for school leavers, who perhaps still haven't stopped dressing according to a certain image (not that graduates are immune to trends, but they aren't quite as slavish to them). I can't say I've noticed a great deal of alternative dressers - boys or girls. Too informal - yes. Too tarty - yes. Sometimes you wonder if these people have mirrors at home...

Jordan

I've heard that for girls, if your grandma would say it looked nice, then it's probably appropriate. Also, with the tie issue, just chuck one in your bag, if you feel out of place you can always go put it on

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Yeah, that'd make sense.

scarah

I'm appalled I have to even mention the fact that girls shouldn't wear them to hospital placements. Alas, some do...

Yeah on our first clinical visit there was one... another nurse in our course leant over and said "I'd like to see how she gets on a bed to do CPR with that on". Other mistakes were the girl who wore brand new shoes and had blisters when we arrived at hospital, she looked shocked and surprised when she realised we weren't sitting down for the next two hours but walking the length of the hospital to talk to patients... oh and someone who wore a see through blouse - seriously

It's not hard to dress in clinically appropriate wear, nor does it have to be expensive. I wear $20 Target work trousers (be careful of hipsters - bum crack is not acceptable) and generally Target do pretty decent women's work shirts (cleavage should be covered) too. For women skirts are an option but I would play it safe with length, make sure you can sit down and bend over without showing too much. Men's stuff at Target isn't too bad either although for men a couple of decent shirts that fit well will make you look much more professional. Try a decent menswear shop for fitting and brands - a well fitted shirt makes a big difference. Shorts are a no go area for both sexes as are jeans.

Depends on the hospital though. Have a look at what the doctors are wearing (pay more attention to junior docs since senior docs get away with being casual if they choose).

You'd be out of place with a tie in some hospitals and the infection control nurse may question you on the frequency in which you clean your tie :p.

Our lecturers forced the males to wear ties to our hospital visits during Rural Week in first year... just saying :)

Kyle

Old Man MSO
Emeritus Staff
Take home message, if you're at UTas and UTas people are expected to wear a tie that's what you do.

Kyle

Old Man MSO
Emeritus Staff
Unless you're a girl (just applying new knowledge here). ;)

Well done, you're so hip! ;)

Seriously though, I didn't realise girls could wear ties either. I mean, I'm a man and I avoid wearing them at all cost.

chinaski

Seriously though, I didn't realise girls could wear ties either. I mean, I'm a man and I avoid wearing them at all cost.

Compared to other ridiculous and downright uncomfortable trends and staples of women's attire, a tie is nothing.

Kyle

Old Man MSO
Emeritus Staff
True, I do enjoy being a guy when it comes to dressing for hospital, no heels, no necklines, no decisions to make at all :p

chinaski

...Except "what colour will my pants and shirt be today? And will I wear a tie?". ;)

WRT ties: no novelty ties, unless you have the charisma to carry them off. If you have to ask yourself, "do I have the charisma to wear this ironically geeky 70's print pastiche tie?", you are automatically disqualified and definitely should not wear that tie. And cartoon print ties: no. Just no.

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff

We were at the same clinical school where at least two of the 3rd year female students had been sporting ties on more than one occasion.

Kyle

Old Man MSO
Emeritus Staff
Which ones? Now that you mention it I can think of one I think, but for the other I'm wracking my brains but can't think of them.

As for pants colour chin, that's only just a choice.

I have 4 pairs of pants, black, black, charcoal and black.

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
PMed. Also, chinaski likes making fun of me far too much. :(

Kyle

Old Man MSO
Emeritus Staff
[offtopic]Aw, poor matt. :( [/offtopic]

What do people think of vests for guys at hospital?

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Vests made from wool are totally ok. Actually, I think vests are mostly ok so long as they're not too outlandish.

Kay4

Thanks heaps guys =) didn't think the discussion would be this interesting. I thought clinical clothes were something like the scrubs :]