Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Auckland Medicine Entry Rumours

frootloop

Doctor
Just a question I heard of a med student who got at the end of 2010 from my high school that there appears to be a "GPA tier" for different ethnicities.

8.25 - 9.00 for Caucasians , 8.50 - 9.00 for Indians and 8.75 - 9.00 for Orientals he based this on the distribution of ethnicities in the MBCHB ll 2011. Is this true? I have strong doubts towards it but it can be a possibility???*
That's total rubbish.
And italianopalo, 'Oriental' is just another word for 'Asian', it's hardly offensive....
ETA: Although, italianopalo, if you find anything in this sub-forum offensive, pm either myself, Cathay808, greenglacier, or Ben, and we'll do our best to help. Outside this forum, contact one of the 'real moderators'. :)

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
That's total rubbish.
And italianopalo, 'Oriental' is just another word for 'Asian', it's hardly offensive....
ETA: Although, italianopalo, if you find anything in this sub-forum offensive, pm either myself, Cathay808, greenglacier, or Ben, and we'll do our best to help. Outside this forum, contact one of the 'real moderators'. :)

That post about the ethnicities is a massive troll. Or whom ever told Tupac4life that, was trolling.

frootloop

Doctor
[OFFTOPIC]I doubt it's a troll post. You'd be surprised what bulls**t rumours float round HSFY/OLY1.... I don't know where/how they start, but this is by no means the weirdest of them. Once someone tried to convince me that the med admissions board actually facebook stalks to determine whether we're suitable applicants or not :lol:[/OFFTOPIC]

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
[OFFTOPIC]I doubt it's a troll post. You'd be surprised what bulls**t rumours float round HSFY/OLY1.... I don't know where/how they start, but this is by no means the weirdest of them. Once someone tried to convince me that the med admissions board actually facebook stalks to determine whether we're suitable applicants or not :lol:[/OFFTOPIC]

[OFFTOPIC] No one is that supid though..are they? wait..it IS frootloop ;)[/OFFTOPIC]

[OFFTOPIC] jk...of course..[/OFFTOPIC]

frootloop

Doctor
[OFFTOPIC]If it wasn't for MSO, I'd probably believe most of the random HSFY rumours lmao[/OFFTOPIC]

frootloop

Doctor
Well considering a chart in that article says that 33% of medical students at the Auckland school (2008) were Asian, compared with only 10% of the general populous (census 2006) identifying as Asian, suggests that that rumour is bull, and that Asian students do just fine when it comes to getting in.....

Tupac4life

Hmmmm hey it wasn't what my idea that I said it was what a guy who's in 2nd year med who said. I didn't believe it in the first place but I wanted to verify some "over the top" rumour but as we know you can't avoid a string of all this commotion. Calm yourselves guys for Pete's sake!*

How on earth is oriental derogatory? It refers to the Far East.*

Last edited by a moderator:

Tupac4life

Talk about it. I'm an Oriental Kiwi myself. I wish to go back to an era when the non PC Billy T James was a family television icon.... too bad I wasn't there back then. lol

4everAlone

Just putting it out there that any rumours you hear regarding a MASSIVE MBChB curriculum change/overhaul in 2013 are true. Also of note is that there are currently high level meetings occurring where apparently the medical school is trying to remove the interview as a selection tool.

kakarot

Just putting it out there that any rumours you hear regarding a MASSIVE MBChB curriculum change/overhaul in 2013 are true. Also of note is that there are currently high level meetings occurring where apparently the medical school is trying to remove the interview as a selection tool.

This morning: "They're removing the interview because of people like medview: they have like this book with every question in the interview they can ask. It's so unfair."

Not the only stupid thing I heard from my physics tutorial.

4everAlone

This morning: "They're removing the interview because of people like medview: they have like this book with every question in the interview they can ask. It's so unfair."

Not the only stupid thing I heard from my physics tutorial.

Oh gosh. Actually, don't believe every rumour about it then lol forgot how bad it is! Those physics tuts were always good for a laugh I must say, people believe some seriously strange things!!

kakarot

Also of note is that there are currently high level meetings occurring where apparently the medical school is trying to remove the interview as a selection tool.

I think they should NOT remove the interview... I think it's the best indicator they have at their disposal to select students from the OLY1 cohort for medicine. If they're to remove anything, I think the UMAT is better off for that.

4everAlone

I think they should NOT remove the interview

Our WHOLE year agrees. Well everyone I've talked to about it at least haha. From what I understand, a lot of med students have 'protested' and have managed to get them to postpone their decision on the matter. Supposedly there is going to be a petition going around too.

greenglacier

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Our WHOLE year agrees. Well everyone I've talked to about it at least haha. From what I understand, a lot of med students have 'protested' and have managed to get them to postpone their decision on the matter. Supposedly there is going to be a petition going around too.

Sorry to but in, but of course your year agrees... everyone supports the entry system that they got in under! If you were to ask the Otago cohort you'd probably get a much lower level of support for an admissions interview.

I've heard that Otago + Auckland recently completed a big study assessing the validity of their entry systems, due to be published soon - maybe this has something to do with it?

btw, I'll probably move this discussion to a different thread if it gets much longer.

greenglacier

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
[offtopic]
Sounds interesting, any idea where it would be published?
Nah, all I know (from one if my tutors) is that the study exists and will be published soon. I'll definitely post something about it on this forum if this is true and I find out where it is published.[/offtopic]

frootloop

Doctor
[offtopic]Just out of interest (aimed [MENTION=5161]greenglacier[/MENTION], [MENTION=9988]cathay808[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8308]Ben[/MENTION]), are we going to tidy up this thread, or leave it open for discussion?[/offtopic]