Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith dent- 1st year uni student entry?

vincent168

Stimodont
Oh no, just people here say that they didn't get an offer when Griffith wasn't their first preference. I thought that was true?
Assuming the cut off was 6.5GPA last year, I hope this year it won't go beyond 7...fairly big jump

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Oh no, just people here say that they didn't get an offer when Griffith wasn't their first preference. I thought that was true?

The university stated it to people on the phone. But I have never seen it written or published by them. I thought maybe they confirmed it. Not sure whether that rule will apply for 2012 entry.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Assuming the cut off was 6.5GPA last year, I hope this year it won't go beyond 7...fairly big jump

You can't go beyond 7, 7 is the max GPA on the scale.

luke2

Admission requirements[/h]Admission to the Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science program will be determined by the following criteria:
[h=4]Domestic students (from 2011)[/h]
academic achievement in year 12 or equivalent

Where has anybody read that they will base it on GPA if you have done one or more years of university?

Last edited:

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
If you have done at least one year of university, you will considered as a non-standard and they will look at your GPA.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
There is no link. That is the standard protocol for non-standard applicant. Ring Griffith if you wish to get an official answer

davidn92

I called them up a few times earlier this year, half of the people I spoke to said it was GPA only if you've completed a year+ of tertiary study, the other half said it was whichever was higher (so GPA or high school marks).

Crucible

the nightmare stag
H! :)

I'm a year 13 student in NZ right now and I was wondering it it's possible for me to study a year at Otago or 3 years at Auckland Uni and then transfer to Griffith for Dentistry? (I reallllly want to study that). -both the Unis here require UMAT which kinda irritates me and Otago is the only one with Dentistry.
I don't mind interviews so :)

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff

I'm a year 13 student in NZ right now and I was wondering it it's possible for me to study a year at Otago or 3 years at Auckland Uni and then transfer to Griffith for Dentistry? (I reallllly want to study that). -both the Unis here require UMAT which kinda irritates me and Otago is the only one with Dentistry.

You can study at any uni for one year full time and apply as a non-standard to Griffith Dentistry ^^.

Crucible

the nightmare stag
You can study at any uni for one year full time and apply as a non-standard to Griffith Dentistry ^^.
Sweet!!! That's good news :DD

But for Griffith you have to do the Bachelor of Oral Health and Dental Science first for 3 years right?
And then you do the 2 years after- but is the Postgrad diploma in that a Bachelor degree???...or is it like a certificate?

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Sweet!!! That's good news :DD

But for Griffith you have to do the Bachelor of Oral Health and Dental Science first for 3 years right?
And then you do the 2 years after- but is the Postgrad diploma in that a Bachelor degree???...or is it like a certificate?

Think of it as a whole 5 year degree. Once you complete the first three years you automatically do the two last years. They split the course into two parts for other reasons, but the 5 years in total will let you register as a Dentist. Just a different name to other unis :)

Crucible

the nightmare stag
Think of it as a whole 5 year degree. Once you complete the first three years you automatically do the two last years. They split the course into two parts for other reasons, but the 5 years in total will let you register as a Dentist. Just a different name to other unis :)
Oh wow! That's even better!!! :) - seeing as I want to study Dentistry soooo badly.
:D Griffith is pretty appealing right now hahah

McKnockout

With Griffith's "Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science", is there a fee that has to be paid?
I heard that the course charges full fees and costs alot of $$$ O.O Can someone confirm/deny this for me?

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff

frootloop

Doctor

Good points: No interview, no UMAT for Griffith uni.
Bad points: Did anyone mention that the course fees alone are ~$200,000? Then you've got to live somehwere, buy food, etc. for 5 years... You'd be looking at a $300k debt at the end of 5 years (that's *if* you can find someone willing to lend it to you. The Australian and NZ governments sure wont (you can't get an Aussie student loan for the first 2 years, and even then you can't borrow all of that on FEE-HELP, I don't think)).
Overall: I'd give Otago (or, if you don't get in here, another Aussie uni, their fees are like a fifth of Griffith's) a shot first, and leave Griffith as a last resort, the fees are just crazy.

Last edited: