Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
To fix these problems I need to know the browser (and version), operating system and how to reproduce it. If it's not reproducible there's nothing I can do.

Google Chrome 17.0.963.56 m

Windows 7 64

Randomly happens when I use the chatbox.

frootloop

Doctor
Occasionally when 'hatbox says 'X replied to thread Y', then I click the link and the thread opens, but the post mentioned by MSO BOT isn't there. Is this because posts waiting to be mod-approved still show up in 'hatbox?

mighty

My hatbox just extended off the page. Odd.

ss hatbox.png

League

God tbh.
My hatbox just extended off the page. Odd.

@medicinegirl broke it. The issue appears with text wrapping??

However, 8/10 for productivity!
2uid5ie.jpg

Also, can we make this site work on IE7? The transparency doesn't work and everything seems 'blocky' without the rounded borders.

Last edited:

frootloop

Doctor
[offtopic]
Also, can we make this site work on IE7? The transparency doesn't work and everything seems 'blocky' without the rounded borders.
Just as long as you provide the answer to this one question: Why on Earth do you use IE? :p [/offtopic]

Last edited:

Shizzy

Staff
Administrator
Good question. I'm on a mac (running chrome), however, I may need to run a Windows application (Autodesk 3DS Max more so than not), hence I would use bootcamp. Sometimes, I might like to go on MSO while running Bootcamp and haven't installed Firefox/Safari?/Chrome.

Sorry for not providing a more interesting answer.

You should upgrade your internet explorer.

Does the "chat" function work at all? I assumed that it didn't and everyone just used "hatbox" or whatever, but just now I see the tab reads Chat (3) and it looks like someone is using it. So, is it actually broken or is it just me, or do I need 50 posts... etc etc ??

"Exception: java.io.FileNotFoundException: JNLP file error: addonchat-en_uk.jnlp. Please make sure the file exists and check if "codebase" and "href" in the JNLP file are correct."

"addonchat-en_uk.jnlp" <-- Sounds like something on the server's side. I've tried reinstalling Java and different browsers.

[OFFTOPIC]Why do you have chat AND hatbox anyway?[/OFFTOPIC]

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
"Exception: java.io.FileNotFoundException: JNLP file error: addonchat-en_uk.jnlp. Please make sure the file exists and check if "codebase" and "href" in the JNLP file are correct."

"addonchat-en_uk.jnlp" <-- Sounds like something on the server's side. I've tried reinstalling Java and different browsers.

[OFFTOPIC]Why do you have chat AND hatbox anyway?[/OFFTOPIC]

We use addonchat for the bigger times of the year when people want to discuss and get advice about UMAT results etc. Other than that, we use chat for people who are yet to reach 50 posts but want to be apart of the community. I always try to be on chat whenever I am actively on MSO.

Shizzy

Staff
Administrator
I broke my hatbox.

That happens if you logout of mso but still have a page with hatbox open.

As for the Java error with Chat, I'm still having a look into that. All the files for that are hosted by someone else. So far it seems to be working for everyone else on here, so if it keeps playing up I would suggest it may be a problem with your connection blockng access to the chat host (are you accessing this behind a proxy or filter of some sort?).

Ensure your browser and Java are fully up to date.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
This happens to me sometimes (using Chrome of Win 7 Pro), the formatting looks a bit dodgy (over-lap of text). I've tried re-loading and coming back to it but it still happens. Just me?
11ltngm.png

Shizzy

Staff
Administrator
This happens to me sometimes (using Chrome of Win 7 Pro), the formatting looks a bit dodgy (over-lap of text). I've tried re-loading and coming back to it but it still happens. Just me?

Thanks Rohitpi, not just you! All fixed.

mighty

bug mso.png
Don't know why the size of the avatar stretches when I'm looking at articles in Chrome but it's really odd. I checked it with firefox and I don't have the same problem there.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
I'm not sure if this is deliberate (so ignore if it is), but when I click the "Contact" or the "Sponsorship" links at the very top left of the page, they both link me to the same page (which I assume to be the "contact" page as the links are both Contact Us - Med Students Online). Is this a problem?

edit: using Chrome on Win 7 pro

Last edited: