Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Otago HSFY chat - archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swaghilli

Maybe its my bias towards Biochem, or maybe it's the fact that we got half of the questions prior to the actual test, but I found this test oddly satisfying. Everything seemed clear and concise. How did you guys find it?

Profiterole

Yea it wasn't too bad, better than expected! :)

On another note: @nimbus, what a badass, being one of the few to leave early :O

Caesar

The average fart weighs roughly three hundredths of a gram.

musica209

Deuce.
I tried looking for a thread, but it doesn't really seem to fit anywhere...

So, this has been archived:

For all the fresh meat: (retrieved from Otago's website)
"Course approval will take place on the following dates:
  • Friday 20 February 2009
  • Monday 23 February 2009
  • Tuesday 24 February 2009
Students in Dunedin from Monday 16 February may check with individual departments to see if they can complete course approval earlier.
Note: Students who complete course approval after 24 February will be charged a late course approval fee."

Go on the last day. I went on the last day and there was no one at the course approval desks. Waiting in line to get my ID card was very short -5min at the most.

Have some form of identification ready, like your driver's licence, or else they'll send you away and you'll have to wait in line all over again.

What are we med students meant to do with course approval?

Just for confirmation: there's no way course approval can be done online?

Also, is it advisable to go on the 18th and/or 19th (course approval is 15th, 18th and 19th Feb 2013) rather than the 15th? Just trying to organize flights here and I'm not sure if I should rush back for the first course approval or just relax and come for the 18th or 19th...

epikness

I tried looking for a thread, but it doesn't really seem to fit anywhere...

Also, is it advisable to go on the 18th and/or 19th (course approval is 15th, 18th and 19th Feb 2013) rather than the 15th? Just trying to organize flights here and I'm not sure if I should rush back for the first course approval or just relax and come for the 18th or 19th...

I'm assuming you're doing HSFY next year. Regardless, there'll be a line during course approval, so either go early or go later in the day. I'm not quite sure how prepared you are to come down to Dunedin to do course approval and travel back home, so just come when you're ready to start your stay here proper.

Then again, I've done some ridiculous successive weekend trips to queenstown to polish up my shitty shredding skills.

No, I don't think you can do course approval online because you need signatures.

----
Just random extra stuff:
Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I swear there was a certain date that HSFYers were supposed to do course approval on out of the three course approval dates.

Also, the lines were really long if you went early in the morning. If I recall correctly, I went at about 11 am and there was no line for course approval; there was just a super long line for getting your IDs.

Just remember that you don't actually have to get your ID on course approval dates, pretty sure you can get it later in the year because the ID card office is still there after course approval. It's just handy to get it earlier so you can reap the benefits of having a student ID (discounts at random stores like Kmart, warehouse stationary)

Last edited:

epikness

Maybe too many people took my advice this year and all started queuing before it actually opened. Haha.

But yes, I stand corrected. There are dates for Health Scis, but if you go on any other date, you'll have to individually hunt down the people you need to sign your course approval off. If you go on the specified dates they'll all be in a single spot. From my experience.

musica209

Deuce.
I'm assuming you're doing HSFY next year. Regardless, there'll be a line during course approval, so either go early or go later in the day. I'm not quite sure how prepared you are to come down to Dunedin to do course approval and travel back home, so just come when you're ready to start your stay here proper.

Then again, I've done some ridiculous successive weekend trips to queenstown to polish up my shitty shredding skills.

Umm, no I wasn't intending on coming here and going back home, so sorry if that was implied. I'm just wondering if it's important to go on the first day of course approval, as opposed to the second or third. Is there a slight advantage? Which days are usually busier?

No, I don't think you can do course approval online because you need signatures.

----
Just random extra stuff:
Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I swear there was a certain date that HSFYers were supposed to do course approval on out of the three course approval dates.

Also, the lines were really long if you went early in the morning. If I recall correctly, I went at about 11 am and there was no line for course approval; there was just a super long line for getting your IDs.

Just remember that you don't actually have to get your ID on course approval dates, pretty sure you can get it later in the year because the ID card office is still there after course approval. It's just handy to get it earlier so you can reap the benefits of having a student ID (discounts at random stores like Kmart, warehouse stationary)

Double post, sorry! I wanted to delete that other post but I can't ><

I haven't heard from anyone that there's a certain date that HSFY has to do course approval... I better ask around though. Has anyone else heard this? It might just be another psych-the-other-people-out scheme, heh ;) I hope...

Fair enough. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam

¿umm?

I haven't heard from anyone that there's a certain date that HSFY has to do course approval... I better ask around though. Has anyone else heard this? It might just be another psych-the-other-people-out scheme, heh ;) I hope...

Course approval sucks, go late in the afternoon. They'll give you the dates closer to the time. It's literally a few hours of your life at max, I wouldn't get too stressed about it.

Ruth

Maderator
Emeritus Staff

IIRC this year everyone with surnames starting with like, A-K or something like that went on one day, and everyone else went on the next day, and I think we got told that if you went on the wrong day you'd get turned away.

Cathay

🚂Train Driver🚆
Emeritus Staff

As epikness said, health scis have to get a certain signature, and on the three allocated days (first one for surnames in the first half of the alphabet, second one for second half of the alphabet, and third one for catch up) the advisers who give said signatures are located in a convenient location, whereas if you do it beforehand you have to hunt people down, potential in their office in the chemistry building or something, to get the signature, which makes your life more difficult.

Towards late January you'll be sent an information pack saying exactly this, so I'd say the main reason you haven't heard this from anyone is that it's a self-explanatory process with detailed information sheets provided by the university, and you haven't said "okay tell me exactly when and what happened when you went for course approval".

Course approval is generally an in-person process, unless you're a distance learning student (which, as a health sci, you won't be) in which case it's a "send back in the mail" process.

I think some people in my class may have sent their form back in the mail for Med2 course approval, but I did it in person anyway because I was here really early.

I'm given to understand that from Med3 onwards, course approval might be done automatically for us... But don't worry about that just yet :p

My bad, I think it was the thing about the surnames that my brain was trying to remember.

Also, I have no intention to psych anyone out :p

epikness

I think some people in my class may have sent their form back in the mail for Med2 course approval, but I did it in person anyway because I was here really early.

I'm given to understand that from Med3 onwards, course approval might be done automatically for us... But don't worry about that just yet :p

You can't leave me out of the automatic course approval as well. Haha.

But apparently, I didn't have to do course approval in person either this year... But I did it anyway. Was kind of interesting being able to do it whilst looking at things from the other side of the fence.

epikness

My bad, I think it was the thing about the surnames that my brain was trying to remember.

Also, I have no intention to psych anyone out :p

[MENTION=15027]musica209[/MENTION], as far as I remember, that was what we had to do in our year and this year as well. i.e. The alphabetical assignment of dates. Brooke White turned those who went on a non-assigned day from the queue. That being said, if you go later and they're freed up from signing like a boss, the almighty gate-keeper Brooke should let you through. She was blonde and wore a red dress with red heels in 11'. True story.

musica209

Deuce.
IIRC this year everyone with surnames starting with like, A-K or something like that went on one day, and everyone else went on the next day, and I think we got told that if you went on the wrong day you'd get turned away.

OK, so seeing my surname is between A - K, likelihood is that I'll have to be back by the 15th, which is the first day of Course approval... Does anyone have a vague idea of the time it ranges from on that day? My flight actually arrives 1.30pm on the 15th, so it's going to be a pain up my arse either way.

As epikness said, health scis have to get a certain signature, and on the three allocated days (first one for surnames in the first half of the alphabet, second one for second half of the alphabet, and third one for catch up) the advisers who give said signatures are located in a convenient location, whereas if you do it beforehand you have to hunt people down, potential in their office in the chemistry building or something, to get the signature, which makes your life more difficult.

Towards late January you'll be sent an information pack saying exactly this, so I'd say the main reason you haven't heard this from anyone is that it's a self-explanatory process with detailed information sheets provided by the university, and you haven't said "okay tell me exactly when and what happened when you went for course approval".

Course approval is generally an in-person process, unless you're a distance learning student (which, as a health sci, you won't be) in which case it's a "send back in the mail" process.

Thanks Cathay! Sounds like I'll have to make it back for the first day of course approval regardless...

Ruth

Maderator
Emeritus Staff
OK, so seeing my surname is between A - K, likelihood is that I'll have to be back by the 15th, which is the first day of Course approval... Does anyone have a vague idea of the time it ranges from on that day? My flight actually arrives 1.30pm on the 15th, so it's going to be a pain up my arse either way.

Thanks Cathay! Sounds like I'll have to make it back for the first day of course approval regardless...

I made those letters up hahaha. It is probably A-M or so though, either way you'll definitely be on the first day. If course confirmation is on the 15th for you you'll still be fine, it's open til like 5pm or so I think :) and if you miss it I think you can go on the third day, that's the catch up day for people who miss their proper course confirmation day.

Status
Not open for further replies.