Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT 2012 thread.

• Thread starter Deleted member 4350
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt888

I came out feeling I did better this year as well, but being UMAT, that offers me little comfort. Anything can happen.

I got 86th percentile last year and am hoping to improve at least into the 90s. Surely that isn't too much to ask.....

Fifty shades

Hi Matt, i presume you tried to get into med last year but you were unsuccessful. Just out of curiosity what ATAR did you achieve and did you, if any, receive any interviews? I understand if you don't want to answer :D

Xenon Hexafluoride

here comes trouble
I came out of UMAT feeling OK as well, however, after reading about people who thought that they had done well and eventually didn't, I have been trying reduce that feeling ever since July. Now I am sitting trying to study feeling exceptionally nervous after reading that they could be released tomorrow. Although I would prefer tomorrow than in a week!

matt888

Hey andygrey

Yeah I tried last year with no joy. I finished school a while ago so no ATAR, however I had completed one year of Bsc with a pretty bad GPA about 4.7. My UMAT got me an interview at UNCLE (which I feel I did pretty well at) but I didn't meet the minimum academic requirement (close to credit GPA) so no offer.

I had scored a 59 in section 1 which I believe was the cut off for UNCLE. For this reason I sat the UMAT again, in case the cut off goes up and so I can try a few more universities (and also because UMAT is a hoot! Not really). I have also take a year off work and returned to uni with the aim of improving my GPA which so far is going really well.

So depending on these looming UMAT results hopefully I may fair better this time around. Hope that helps.

pgawk

Ekki múkk
Can they release them at night or on a weekend?
I doubt it. It's been released on a weekday for the last 5 years. Not that I checked or anything. Most likely going to be released some time this week, so that there's still decent time before UAC/ individual university applications close. If it's not, I think the wait may actually quite literally drive me insane.

I doubt it. It's been released on a weekday for the last 5 years. Not that I checked or anything. Most likely going to be released some time this week, so that there's still decent time before UAC/ individual university applications close. If it's not, I think the wait may actually quite literally drive me insane.

YEP +1. Have you been sitting umat for the last 5 years?

pgawk

Ekki múkk
YEP +1. Have you been sitting umat for the last 5 years?
Not quite, lol. Just searched 'umat results 2007', etc. There's always a results thread going wild on MSO the day they're released.

Not quite, lol. Just searched 'umat results 2007', etc. There's always a results thread going wild on MSO the day they're released.

oh, hahaha..

LOL yes I have read them like 15326445 times. So if youre on a gap year (as it says on the left) does that mean its your second time?

pgawk

Ekki múkk
oh, hahaha..

LOL yes I have read them like 15326445 times. So if youre on a gap year (as it says on the left) does that mean its your second time?
That's right. I did not so well in it last year, so I'm having another shot this year. Anyway, I know I get freaked out every time someone posts on this thread ('Omg could it be the "they're out!!" post?' *heart bursts out of chest*) so I'm going to take my own advice and stop spamming.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
out of 300- what was 86th percentile equivalent to?

No-one knows how it's marked, and it's possible to get more than 100 for any section (hence more than 300).

But I'd hazard a guess that 86%ile would be ~176-180.

Last edited:

happyhappyland

Im concerned about the comparison of the 2011 UMAT with the 2012 UMAT. What if the overall score is significantly different to the 2011 UMAT and if I got a similiar score this year to last years, which score would I use?

For example... UWS and Newcaslte have cutoff based on the overall score itself, NOT percentage. Which score to use if 2011 UMAT was 61=91 percentile and if 2012 UMAT was 63=89 percentile....

If the cut off was 62, and I had used the 2011 I would not make the cut, am I right?

Will anyone ever understand this post LOL

pgawk

Ekki múkk
Im concerned about the comparison of the 2011 UMAT with the 2012 UMAT. What if the overall score is significantly different to the 2011 UMAT and if I got a similiar score this year to last years, which score would I use?

For example... UWS and Newcaslte have cutoff based on the overall score itself, NOT percentage. Which score to use if 2011 UMAT was 61=91 percentile and if 2012 UMAT was 63=89 percentile....

If the cut off was 62, and I had used the 2011 I would not make the cut, am I right?

Will anyone ever understand this post LOL
When you apply, you enter your UMAT number from the year before (if existing), as well as the current year's. The university will use the best out of these (it's based off overall score, usually) so you don't have to worry about it.

happyhappyland

When you apply, you enter your UMAT number from the year before (if existing), as well as the current year's. The university will use the best out of these (it's based off overall score, usually) so you don't have to worry about it.

Nah UAC says to put your most recent one (was doing my application a few minutes ago). Ofcourse this year is terribly worse, then Im going to use last years....

pgawk

Ekki múkk
Nah UAC says to put your most recent one (was doing my application a few minutes ago). Ofcourse this year is terribly worse, then Im going to use last years....
Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. To apply to UWS and UNCLE/UNE, you have to fill out an application form on their websites. On this application form, you provide your UMAT number for this year and the previous year's UMAT number (if you had sat it last year). Your best score, out of the two, is used. I don't know why UAC is only allowing you to put your most recent... I don't think that UAC is even a middle man between ACER and the universities anyway (I could be wrong), so it might serve another purpose.

happyhappyland

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. To apply to UWS and UNCLE/UNE, you have to fill out an application form on their websites. On this application form, you provide your UMAT number for this year and the previous year's UMAT number (if you had sat it last year). Your best score, out of the two, is used. I don't know why UAC is only allowing you to put your most recent... I don't think that UAC is even a middle man between ACER and the universities anyway (I could be wrong), so it might serve another purpose.

Oh yeah, thats right. Completely slipped my mind I had to apply directly to the university! (This is my third time applying =.=)

Status
Not open for further replies.