Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT Remarking

Jackie

=D
Emeritus Staff
And if you're right and ACER is wrong - you get your money back!
Chances are though...

^ yeah I saw that. But the thing is for section 3 i felt as if i got all the "choose the middle" as in i actually found the pattern, same with most of the others, i only guess about 3 max? and my raw score was 66 :( (i know i sound whiny, but just need all opinions!) daanke.

frootloop

Doctor
^ yeah I saw that. But the thing is for section 3 i felt as if i got all the "choose the middle" as in i actually found the pattern, same with most of the others, i only guess about 3 max? and my raw score was 66 :( (i know i sound whiny, but just need all opinions!) daanke.
Wait, you want a re-mark of a 66 raw score? You realise that's like 85th percentile, right?

muso94

well it's no use getting re-marked if you're applying this year. something to do with how they only start the remarking process late and only change your results effective as of early next year. so you still need to work with your mark in this year's applying process. it's on their website.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
well it's no use getting re-marked if you're applying this year. something to do with how they only start the remarking process late and only change your results effective as of early next year. so you still need to work with your mark in this year's applying process. it's on their website.

ACER is tricky. Thanks for the info.

BigRedSky

I've heard of one ACER stuff-up, someone taking GAMSAT was given an incorrect result - and ended up being sent another result 2 weeks after the first one that was *lower*!

In the scheme of things I suppose the remark fee is inconsequential compared to years of uni and training, so what's the worst that can happen? That said, I think perhaps that this year's S3 was easier than any prep test I've ever seen (and I did more than I'd like to admit), so maybe it's just that everyone else found it easier too.

[MENTION=9845]muso94[/MENTION] - i know. well thats also a tricky dilema, i mean if i dont put med/dent as my first preference, then IF there is a mistake with the UMAT results and it turns out im like 90%, am i even still able to get an interview, since i didnt have them as i first preference.

because that would so ridiculous, if i still had to have my med/dent as my number one preference, just hoping that theres a slim chance ACER made a mistake, that means i cant have another course as number one, which could really stuff things up. not sure if you understand, but hopefully you do.

[MENTION=8764]BigRedSky[/MENTION] - have you really? because even if there's one stuff up, i'll probably take my chances. and was his original score like 0-20 or something, or was it like 40, but he felt as if he did better?

thanks!

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
because that would so ridiculous, if i still had to have my med/dent as my number one preference, just hoping that theres a slim chance ACER made a mistake, that means i cant have another course as number one, which could really stuff things up. not sure if you understand, but hopefully you do.

I am a bit confused, only one or two universities care what you put as your first preference. Otherwise, you can put down whateveer you want and if you dont meet the requirements for your higher preferences, you will just be given your lower preferences, so why would you chance your preferences because of your UMAT?

BigRedSky

[MENTION=8764]BigRedSky[/MENTION] - have you really? because even if there's one stuff up, i'll probably take my chances. and was his original score like 0-20 or something, or was it like 40, but he felt as if he did better?

thanks!

Unfortunately this one went the other way. I read it on a blog (I wish I could find it again). Basically, on someone's third attempt at gamsat they finally got a good mark, and then two weeks later they received a letter from ACER saying there had been an error and their mark was about 8 marks lower. Would be heartbreaking!

Thankfully apparently the person was successful on their fourth gamsat attempt.

walnuts

Lurker
Hi,
I was shocked to see that I got 40% overall percentile, with 44 in section II. I finished S2 early with five minutes to spare and went over the questions again. I was so sure I did well on that S2. I don't understand, I mean I did really well on ******** papers in S2, maintaining high 90%. What do you reckon? Should I ask for re-marking?

What do you think?

mighty

Just a reminder that prep course discussion isn't allowed on MSO. Something else to note is that just because you performed well in prep course papers, does not mean you will perform well in the actual UMAT. Prep courses only aim to imitate the UMAT and quite frankly I think they do it relatively poorly (especially for S2).

If you can spare the money and you're really desperate to find out then you can request a remark, but don't expect too much out of it. I highly doubt you'll get a changed result.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Hi,
I was shocked to see that I got 40% overall percentile, with 44 in section II. I finished S2 early with five minutes to spare and went over the questions again. I was so sure I did well on that S2. I don't understand, I mean I did really well on ******** papers in S2, maintaining high 90%. What do you reckon? Should I ask for re-marking?

What do you think?

Merged your thread here.

As mighty said, if you want to spend the money on it, then go ahead. The chances are really really low to get a different result, but its up to you.

Chunter5

Lurker
Hey Walnut,

I had a very similar problem - personally I would get a remark because you don't know...I did extensive research and practice myself for over 4 months beforehand, and my best section, probably like you, was section 2 in this prep. However in the test it was my worst. I received a terrible %ile as well, although in general people will often do worse than they expect in this section. If I were you - remark! What have you got to lose? If it's the make-or-break of a medical career, $85 is a worthwhile investment.

geeoftee

Hi,

What do you think?

No offense but getting X on ******* papers is like saying your IQ is 172 based on online quizzes. Personally I averaged 30-50 percentile on the ******* prep S2 exam and was expected to get 60% based on the mock exam they do. In the real UMAT I obtained a 60-something on S2 back in 2009 (equivalent to 100% in the S2 curve back then). I wouldn't base my remark application on anything the prep companies say. They have no authority or predictive power.

Also I feel personal feelings about the paper dont really correlate that well to performance. After the UMAT I felt I had surely failed and did not answer many questions the same as my friends. I finished most sections just in time and guessed a lot of questions which were 50-50 touch and go situations. Ultimately I got 95%.

Ultimately whether or not you get a remark should be based on whether you will regret it later on. If you really have a nagging feeling that your marks are wrong then yeah apply for the remark and save yourself the stress. Otherwise you're just blowing 80 dollars you could have spent on anxiolytics to get over the shellshock of not going as well as you predicted.

Back in '10, I knew someone who always scored top-marks, constantly topped rankings, got medals for all those quizzes you could pay to do, in the olympiads etc. Said person was completely confident they had gotten a 100% and that they had got everything right on the UMAT;100/100/100 split for marks etc. In the end that person got a completely horrible mark 0-20%. He was confident it was an error and had a remark. 4 weeks later, he still had the same marks, nothing changed. He's now doing Science/Engineering with a hefty scholarship.

rocketdog

Lurker
depends... did you get something insanely low like 50, or did you get 0 in one section? then i might consider it. if it's just because it's a bit lower than you expected, or even quite deal lower... chances are that's the score you got. There are lots of mistakes you can make filling in forms, misunderstanding questions etc.. these are more than likely the reason why your score doesn't stack up to your expectations.
"Insanely low like 50" gee thanks, makes me feel just great. Perhaps you might like to re word your responses in future as some of us actually got 50

Jordan

"Insanely low like 50" gee thanks, makes me feel just great. Perhaps you might like to re word your responses in future as some of us actually got 50

You should note that that post was made 4 years ago when a mark of 50 had a somewhat different meaning to now. Although to be fair, a mark of 50 is barely distinguishable from a mark of 20 in terms of the options it gives you to study medicine in Australia. Also, Jono barely comes on MSO these days so it's very unlikely he'll see your delightful tanty throwing indignation. Which is a shame for him really.

rocketdog

Lurker
Ha ha, oh dear tanty throwing? I think you may need to re word your response as well, that was just plain nasty and as a "senior Member you should know better

Kyle

Old Man MSO
Emeritus Staff
Someone describing a score as insanely low is not a reflection on you as a person, even if you got that score. Perhaps reflect on why you took it as such, and if you might be giving undue weight to this test.