Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU James Cook University Dentistry 2014

pink25

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about Dentistry at JCU. I

When is the best time to apply to James Cook University Dentistry for 2014 (deadline is August) and when can I expect a response (I'm an international student)?

If I have university credits (1st year bio, chem, etc) will they accept those credits, so that I will not have to do them again?

What is the attrition rate of the program?

If you do badly, do they kick you out of the program?

Thanks

SpringTime

Hello everyone,

When is the best time to apply to James Cook University Dentistry for 2014 (deadline is August) and when can I expect a response (I'm an international student)?

If I have university credits (1st year bio, chem, etc) will they accept those credits, so that I will not have to do them again?

Thanks

Hi
I'm not sure what you mean by the "best" time. As long as you think the written application is good and you have letters of support (if you want to include them), anytime before the deadline would be fine.
I would, personally, wait a while longer just in case you find anything you'd like to add to your application.
Your previous uni credits might be accepted. I think you will have to apply for advanced standing once you get accepted into the program.
If you do too badly, you will probably be asked to repeat the year. I don't think you get "kicked out"^_^
Hope that helps. I'm sure there are others who can give you more info. Good luck! :)

pink25

Thanks for replying :).

I have a few questions.
I thought JCU only looked at your high school and university marks, so do you need letters of reference/extracurriculars ?
Is it hard to get accepted as an international student (Canadian student)
What is the difficulty of the program (in terms of course load, and course(s) difficulty?

DrSim123

Thanks for replying :).

I have a few questions.
I thought JCU only looked at your high school and university marks, so do you need letters of reference/extracurriculars ?
Is it hard to get accepted as an international student (Canadian student)
What is the difficulty of the program (in terms of course load, and course(s) difficulty?

Hey mate, JCU have a section in the application where they ask for letters of references and that is where you can attach up to 3 referees. In terms of international students, although I'm not so sure on how difficult it is to be accepted, in first year there are a lot of Canadians! (which is a good thing since they're all really nice :) ). In terms of course load, you have 4 subjects per semester, and they get progressively more hands on as you get into 2nd and 3rd year. 1st year is more theoretical.

Good luck!

pink25

Heyy,

I was just wondering what kind of grades you would have to maintain to stay in the program, and what happens if you fail a course, for example. I think it's important to know before I apply. I would also appreciate any more tips you have to offer, in terms of applying.

Thanks in advance

MoonFeng

Hi pink,

Like someone above mentioned, once you're accepted into the course the school is unlikely to dismiss you simply because you failed a course. I have a friend in UQ dent that repeated year 1. if it's only a single course the school may most likely offer you a re-test or some sort. I'm not exactly sure about the application process for international students (I would say not many international applicants do come onto MSO), so it'll be best for you to email JCU and ask about the time they usually take to process your application and etc.

Assuming that i will get my second semester's result early Dec this year,which already passed JCU's Dentistry Interview time. How JCU decides that my total GPA for the first year qualifies its academic requirements (as none-standard entry, i guess Dentistry at JCU looks at 6.0+ GPA?). say if i got 5.5 GPA for this semester, then i got 6.25 GPA next semester how can JCU handle this case then? thanks.

C2H6

Assuming that i will get my second semester's result early Dec this year,which already passed JCU's Dentistry Interview time. How JCU decides that my total GPA for the first year qualifies its academic requirements (as none-standard entry, i guess Dentistry at JCU looks at 6.0+ GPA?). say if i got 5.5 GPA for this semester, then i got 6.25 GPA next semester how can JCU handle this case then? thanks.
"Candidates will be selected for interview on the basis of their written application and academic results (predicted or actual)". So more then likely they will use your written application + first semester GPA.

plai26

Hello everyone,

Thanks

Apply as early as you can. International students start getting their offering in late July. One message posted in year 2012 or 2011 said he got his offer as late as December.

steviee5

Hi,

I am currently studying bachelor of oral health in dental technology at griffith university. I just got my semester 2 result, gpa was 6.25, however my gpa for semester 1 was only 5.875...
What is my chance of getting an offer to JCU dent in 2014??
Thanks

Safraaz

Hi,

I am currently studying bachelor of oral health in dental technology at griffith university. I just got my semester 2 result, gpa was 6.25, however my gpa for semester 1 was only 5.875...
What is my chance of getting an offer to JCU dent in 2014??
Thanks

Hi Steviee5, JCU only looks at your overall GPA when contemplating offers. This means that we may miss the early December round offers as our current university results get released in late December; meaning that most people will get their Dentistry offers in mid-Jan offer round. From what I know, JCU dentistry requires a minimum of 5.75 GPA and there are roughly 120-150 places each yeah (15-20 of them are awarded to non-standards like us!). However, since JCU does not have an interview for dentistry; our applications along with our GPAs have to be brilliant. Looking at your GPAs; your full years' GPA is 6.06 (5.875 + 6.25/2). I'm in a similar situation as you, with a first semester GPA of only 6 and probably a second semester GPA of 6.5-6.75. If your uni has released your full years' GPA, you're up for the December round. Unfortunately, I have to wait till the main round as my official GPA gets released on the 17th of December - which I believe is a few days after the offer round :(

If your application is excellent, it may perhaps land you an offer with a GPA of 6. Also, I have heard of interstate applicants getting in with a GPA of 6 last year. Best of luck mate!
Just to add; doing a 'Bachelor of Oral Health' may increase your chances.

Last edited:

steviee5

Hi [MENTION=17438]Safraaz[/MENTION],

Thank you for the reply.
I thought that JCU dentistry only offers through QTAC on the main offer round (16th January 2014)?
Does being interstate and what not really affect the applications? I'm from Queensland anyways...

Safraaz

Hi @Safraaz ,

Thank you for the reply.
I thought that JCU dentistry only offers through QTAC on the main offer round (16th January 2014)?
Does being interstate and what not really affect the applications? I'm from Queensland anyways...

Yes, you're right! JCU only offer via QTAC on the main offer round. I do believe that being interstate and non-rural affects your chances of getting in as you generally need a higher GPA and a decent application. There is a certain degree of uncertainty when it comes to interstate applicants (most leave when they finish the course) and hence most offers would probably be made to local applicants or applicants of rural backgrounds who would probably be more committed to serving the rural community. Having said that, it comes down to other factors like volunteering etc.. and how strong your references were! I think that you stand a better chance than most applicants as you're already doing something that is relevant to the Dentistry field. But the application is heavily weighed as there are no interviews.

Tech5

If you do poorly, they do not kick you out (unless you fail multiple times), they just fail you. There is a loss of about 10 students per year level per year based purely on gap years/voluntary leave. However, with the increased number of positions and limited amount of sim lab/clinic seats, they are increasing the difficulty/pass % and in general, trying to fail more people.

The chemistry, health sciences and anatomy subjects normally accept credit for previously done courses however none of the other subjects will allow it.

jeng

Does anyone know whether you have to put JCU as your first preference to be considered? There is apparently a myth regarding Griffith Uni but I'm not sure how true it is...I'm kind of in a dilemma of which uni to put as my first, at the moment it's JCU.

jeng

No, JCU does not have to be first preference.

Was it your first pref? I'm so worried right now whether to put GU or JCU as first. I just don't want to sabotage any of my chances at either university. Also someone from GU just told me JCU is bad (I don't know why!).

Tech5

JCU was my second pref. And if you care to ask JCU students, I'm sure they would tell you GU is bad ;)

Safraaz

JCU was my second pref. And if you care to ask JCU students, I'm sure they would tell you GU is bad ;)

I've heard that GU is bad due to the fact that it leaves you with an astonishing 100k of extra debt which is deferrable via hecs. But people have told me that it generally takes a long time to pay that off; probably 2-4 year of dental practice when you start as a grad. This puts you behind when planning to start you own practice. However, GU will be closer to home and the social atmosphere is probably a bit better there. Having said that, JCU looks good to me and places a huge emphasis on rural training/practice.

atptsoi

Yeah the rural training seems really interesting and cairns isn't a bad place either stayed there for a while and been there a couple of times after to visit friends and family has a very nice atmosphere.

Last edited: