Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UNSW UNSW Medicine: Full BMed/MD at Port Macquarie Campus

Oer

Had been talked about for a while, but now it's official - from 2017, there will be places available for students to do the full 6 years of the UNSW BMed/MD at the Port Macquarie campus, with the building of the new Port Macquarie Shared Health Research & Education Centre (SHREC).

Just the initial announcement and no details for today it seems, but I think it's pretty cool that there'll be option for NSW rural students to do all their training regionally/rurally. Will be interesting to see how it's all put into practice from next year.

http://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/he...l-regional-medical-degree-port-macquarie-2017

http://www.portnews.com.au/story/3793524/degree-locked-in/?cs=257

Skarzin

Monash Med III
Had been talked about for a while, but now it's official - from 2017, there will be places available for students to do the full 6 years of the UNSW BMed/MD at the Port Macquarie campus, with the building of the new Port Macquarie Shared Health Research & Education Centre (SHREC).

Just the initial announcement and no details for today it seems, but I think it's pretty cool that there'll be option for NSW rural students to do all their training regionally/rurally. Will be interesting to see how it's all put into practice from next year.

http://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/health/unsw-offer-state’s-first-full-regional-medical-degree-port-macquarie-2017

http://www.portnews.com.au/story/3793524/degree-locked-in/?cs=257

I apologise if the answer to the succeeding question was explicitly stated in either of the passages.

My question is : Does this mean that there will be more places for Students in UNSW Medicine course to be put in the regional learning facilities or will they take the same amount,but re-locate classes to regional areas?

TIA

Oer

I apologise if the answer to the succeeding question was explicitly stated in either of the passages.

My question is : Does this mean that there will be more places for Students in UNSW Medicine course to be put in the regional learning facilities or will they take the same amount,but re-locate classes to regional areas?

TIA

As I said, there are no details on how it would be implemented yet.
However, if I were to speculate, UNSW is capped by the government on the amount of CSP places it can offer (as is every other Australian medical school). So even though UNSW has opened up a new campus doesn't mean the government is granting them more places. So I imagine it would most likely be a reallocation, i.e. some of the students chosen every year from now on would be at the Port Mac campus.

How exactly that allocation would work is yet to be seen. We still don't know how many first years will start there, or how they will be chosen and allocated etc. In good time, I imagine. Fro, the articles it's clear uni itself is still ironing out details of how exactly it'll work atm.

Oer

Can confirm my speculations now, there will be no change in the overall amount of places offered in UNSW Medicine. It's just another option
smile.png

Skarzin

Monash Med III
Just searched Port Macquarie on google maps, and apparently its approx. 400 km from sydney

Seeing as this is a rural region, is there any ''incentive'' (ie lower umat score, leniency for a poor interview) in gaining entry into UNSW medicine or will it be the same score no matter what location you choose to study ?

TIA

Oer

Just searched Port Macquarie on google maps, and apparently its approx. 400 km from sydney

Seeing as this is a rural region, is there any ''incentive'' (ie lower umat score, leniency for a poor interview) in gaining entry into UNSW medicine or will it be the same score no matter what location you choose to study ?

TIA

I've heard things, but nothing official, so I won't say them. At any rate the details are still being ironed out. Stuff will be announced in good time, I'm sure :)

Oer

TIA

By the way, I wouldn't make any implications. Studying in a rural area is a different experience, but not objectively a lesser one. A lot of people, especially those from rural areas, may not need any "incentive."

Skarzin

Monash Med III
By the way, I wouldn't make any implications. Studying in a rural area is a different experience, but not objectively a lesser one. A lot of people, especially those from rural areas, may not need any "incentive."

If you think about it, not many people would be wanting to study in a rural area since there are specific disadvantages as opposed to an urban area such as sydney. I wholeheartedly agree that yes, working in a rural area has its own unique experience. Having living in both rural and urban areas, I can say that the university will need some sort of ''bonus'' in order to get students to study in a place where there are some disadvantages.

PS. When i read your post, it reminded me of the ''bonded'' state that students get into if they have scores on the threshold of entry into a university, but at the expense of working in a rural area for some time, and i was presuming that UNSW could implement this for locations of study.

PPS Just found a good example of this called the ''Extended Rural Cohort'' for Monash med

A1

Rookie Doc
Having living in both rural and urban areas, I can say that the university will need some sort of ''bonus'' in order to get students to study in a place where there are some disadvantages.

Copied from the Dean's letter posted on BoS
"For the first time at UNSW, 2017 undergraduate Medicine students will have an opportunity to complete Year 1 and Year 2 (Phase 1) of the program at our Port Macquarie campus.... This initiative is in addition to the current option students have of studying years three to six at the Port Macquarie campus."

So they already have students studying years 3-6 there (presumably rural/bonded students), now extended to years 1-6 with no additional intake. Unlikely any need for more bonuses.

Mentor

Medicine Graduate
I have heard of only great things about Port Macquarie in terms of teaching. After a while, you may run out of things to do apart from studying, but the teachers are dedicated & go above & beyond to educate you. My mates that studied their during Phase 2 & 3 (4 years) rave about it; they became super smart :cool:

Hi there!

Apologies if I’m on the wrong forum.. I’m looking for information about studying medicine at UNSW Port Macquarie campus..

I’d like to know whether they are able to run the entire medicine doctorate from Port Macquarie now or are they still needing to do their exams at Kensington ?? I think I also read somewhere they once were needing to drive frequently to Kensington for anatomy???? 2019 cohort size?? Any information would be really helpful. Thanks in advance .

L

Logic

Hi there!

Apologies if I’m on the wrong forum.. I’m looking for information about studying medicine at UNSW Port Macquarie campus..

I’d like to know whether they are able to run the entire medicine doctorate from Port Macquarie now or are they still needing to do their exams at Kensington ?? I think I also read somewhere they once were needing to drive frequently to Kensington for anatomy???? 2019 cohort size?? Any information would be really helpful. Thanks in advance .
Hi! I'm currently a medical student at UNSW.

Yes, the entire degree can be undertaken from Port Macquarie. The exams I believe are all taken from Port Macquarie and lectures are live streamed from the Kensington campus straight to Port Mac.

The Port Macquarie students do indeed come to Kensington for anatomy, however I'm pretty sure they do all the anatomy practicals for a course (there are four courses a year), in one day. So it definitely isn't frequently. (I'm not sure about this, but I think they come down by bus?--> will have to confirm this one and get back to you).

The 2019 cohort size for Port Macquarie is 25 according to their website.

Let me know if you require any more information! :)

- Logic

manyfrogs

UNSW MBBS

I interviewed at Port & went on a bit of a tour afterwards. While they don't have cadavers--I'm assuming that's why we have to go to Sydney--they do have one of those anatomage tables Table | Anatomage so presumably some anatomy is taught with that. They also have those dissected organs etc as specimens that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of!

And while I was there, there were students doing OSCEs in the clinical school building :D

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I interviewed at Port & went on a bit of a tour afterwards. While they don't have cadavers--I'm assuming that's why we have to go to Sydney--they do have one of those anatomage tables Table | Anatomage so presumably some anatomy is taught with that. They also have those dissected organs etc as specimens that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of!

And while I was there, there were students doing OSCEs in the clinical school building :D

We use pre-dissected and preserved specimens in pathology and call them pots at UTAS (and do actual dissection in anatomy). Is that what you mean?

Mrpopquiz

So I've been offered an unbounded place at Port Mac but I would really like to stay home in Sydney. Is it easy to transfer to the Sydney campus after Phase 1? And what are the criteria for the Phase 2 preferencing?

blank22

Lurker
So I've been offered an unbounded place at Port Mac but I would really like to stay home in Sydney. Is it easy to transfer to the Sydney campus after Phase 1? And what are the criteria for the Phase 2 preferencing?
Sorry to revive an old post but did you ever find out?

I'm in a similar situation and was wondering if I was able to finish phase 2 in Kensington?