Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

MSO revamp thread/to-do list

Enabled but only accessible/changeable through the Admin CP. I am planning on setting up a number of 'reminder announcements' and need some more suggestions:

1. JCU written applications due to be mailed by 30th September // Other university deadlines (do we have a list somewhere?)
  2. UMAT results out!
  3. Competitions that are ongoing
  4. HSC Good luck (don't know the date for these!)
Any other thoughts?
hsc starts 13th of october and finishes on the 4 th november

SATAC/UAC/QTAC/VTAC/UTAS applications are due by 30th september

not sure about TISC
JCU is due 30th september
Most uni online applications are due on the 30th september

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi @bennjamin

You may have heard from Mana already but I would like to suggest a reconstruction of the forums. For example, I have volunteered to do a massive clean up of the NZ sub-forums in the holidays. One of the things, I think, should be done is a reconstruction of the forums. For example: merging/creating sub-forums: from NZ Entrance Discussion, Graduate Entry and University of Otago (under specific university sub-forum) to maybe a whole forum/section for New Zealand and have Auckland University & Otago University as sub-forums and each of them will branch out etc?

If you are interested in the reconstruction of the forums, I would like to discuss this further in the near future. Perhaps, you can change things around for AUS forums at the same time.

Thank you,

Stuart

-edit-
by 'massive clean up' I mean creat a few 'mother of FAQ' threads for Auckland and Otago hopefuls. Hopefully good enough that inforamtion is readily available for even new members who joined in 5 seconds ago and limit the number of "repeated Q&A's" that occurs too frequently.

-edit-
@snowflake101 Do you have access to the 'edit' button? Or are you trying to get some extra post counts? ;)

Last edited:

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
If you are interested in the reconstruction of the forums, I would like to discuss this further in the near future. Perhaps, you can change things around for AUS forums at the same time.

Definitely am interested in this and am quite aware that there are a lot of threads which are stickied + old + in the wrong place. I've added in a tagging system that allows thread titles to be tagged with the specific university/undergrad/postgrad/admission/interview etc. and will likely make this a mandatory requirement for making a new thread in certain forums - hopefully this will help us sort future threads.

In terms of old threads I think it's definitely something we need to do, especially before the UMAT results come out. If you're genuinely interested in doing this then I can certainly provide you with merging/moving privileges within the NZ forums themselves but in terms of completely restructuring the forum/subforums that's something I have to do from the backend - i.e. let me know specifics and we will get it done!

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Definitely am interested in this and am quite aware that there are a lot of threads which are stickied + old + in the wrong place. I've added in a tagging system that allows thread titles to be tagged with the specific university/undergrad/postgrad/admission/interview etc. and will likely make this a mandatory requirement for making a new thread in certain forums - hopefully this will help us sort future threads.

In terms of old threads I think it's definitely something we need to do, especially before the UMAT results come out. If you're genuinely interested in doing this then I can certainly provide you with merging/moving privileges within the NZ forums themselves but in terms of completely restructuring the forum/subforums that's something I have to do from the backend - i.e. let me know specifics and we will get it done!

That sounds great! I have discussed this (organising NZ forums) briefly with Mana on chatbox. I was given some directions on what to do and an example of what a good standard, informative thread/post should look like. I think the original plan was to do what I needed to do and tell Mana to move things etc but it sounds convenient to have some merging/moving privileges.

My draft plan is to go through all of the NZ threads/posts and collect all the useful, up-to-date information + edit/add new information and create (attempt to create) a few 'complete' FAQ posts which can be stickied? specifically aimed at HSFY/OLY1 courses and accommodations, Med/Dent entrance requirements etc, graduate entry, alternative entry. There are a couple of REALLY GOOD posts by froot and greenglacier etc but need a couple of fixing ups. I have a GPA calculator made for Otago Graduate Entry (personal use atm and it's better than the one that is already available on here that is not readily shown to new memebers) which I can share and believe will eliminate any future questions regarding how to calculate scores. I will probably make a HSFY specific calculator as well. - This is just one example of what I would do which I think will definitely streamline the forum a bit :/ hopefully. I think I have a fairly good idea of what most other members look for when it comes to entrance part of it (for NZ). Hopefully, this would help me transform it to a cleaner, nicer NZ forum (especially for new members that might join after looking at the flyer that we might use ;) .

Anyways, I am genuinely interested tidying up the NZ part. I will be delighted to contribute my 2 cent. It's been bothering me quite a bit. I didn't notice it before but nowdays I answer questions regularly and I was getting annoyed at people not being able to find relevant information on MSO. Also, it took me a long time to get used to where all the information was when I first joined (which I think should be fixed) and only more threads have been made without someone tidying things up. - since those dedicated members are no longer active...

Lastly, I have mentioned this to Mana but I think this is not going to be a half day job (since I like to do things 'properly' when I do things) so I will need to drag it out a bit and use my holiday time to finish things up. What I am trying to say is, it might not be completely done til my holidays which is in a couple of months time :)

Thank you.

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Heyyy the off-topic is now working!! Thanks Ben!

[offtopic]what are you looking at?[/offtopic]

Ruth

Maderator
Emeritus Staff
Hey @bennjamin unfortunately 20,000 wasn't enough - for reference it's 3500 words.

edit: oh lol just checked - 21,661 characters

Personally wouldn't be comfortable with selling UMAT resources, unless we were giving them away for free.

Last edited:
D

Dazzy

hey ben, I wanna delete some stuff in my inbox. How do I do that?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Ruth: MSO's umat resources have always been free and will always be in future.

Quacks

MBChB VI
Ruth: MSO's umat resources have always been free and will always be in future.
Benjamin said he was going to discuss this with isuru, so it's still possible. [offtopic]Not that I think selling UMAT resources on mso is a good idea[/offtopic]

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Heyyy the off-topic is now working!! Thanks Ben!

[offtopic]what are you looking at?[/offtopic]

Uhh, sortof. Only one works per page at the moment for ????reasons?

Benjamin said he was going to discuss this with isuru, so it's still possible. [offtopic]Not that I think selling UMAT resources on mso is a good idea[/offtopic]

I don't think it's a good idea and doubt we will do it, but if there is a significant amount of people wanting to sell their resources and wanting to use MSO in that manner then maybe we should consider it. At the moment I don't think it needs to be on our radar.

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
I don't think it's a good idea and doubt we will do it, but if there is a significant amount of people wanting to sell their resources and wanting to use MSO in that manner then maybe we should consider it. At the moment I don't think it needs to be on our radar.

This has been suggested repeatedly in the past and part of our reasoning to decline this feature request was to sidestep the potential legal issues it could tie MSO into. There are plenty of buy/sell/trade sites and resources out there already.

Hi mods and others,
I don't know if this would go down well but i will give it try.
i have another suggestion, maybe we should have another page on the forum where it automatically shows the headlines for the news events from various sites such as CNN etc makes it easier.

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
It would be cool if when we had a message/alert the tab said (1) like how fb does

I can theoretically do this, but I think the time required versus reward at present isn't worth it from my part. We already have something very similar for the hatbox and I'm not 100% sure on how I would get them to work together without a bit of research. Thanks for the suggestion though.

P.S. I've changed the thread limit as well.

Quacks

MBChB VI
I can theoretically do this, but I think the time required versus reward at present isn't worth it from my part. We already have something very similar for the hatbox and I'm not 100% sure on how I would get them to work together without a bit of research. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I've already got that? Like I get the red number alert thingy on inbox and alerts for threads if that's what you mean...?

Reactions: pi

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
I've already got that? Like I get the red number alert thingy on inbox and alerts for threads if that's what you mean...?

I assumed that Ruth was talking about what the Tab displays as if you have multiple tabs open - e.g. a tab with hatbox open will flash: ** New Chat Message ** when a new message is posted.

Quacks

MBChB VI
I assumed that Ruth was talking about what the Tab displays as if you have multiple tabs open - e.g. a tab with hatbox open will flash: ** New Chat Message ** when a new message is posted.
Ooh, oops! Yeah that's a good idea, then you can just leave the MSO tab open and get alerts without having to refresh MSO

Ruth

Maderator
Emeritus Staff

Fair enough - thanks benn

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
This isn't anything particularly crucial but I was wondering if it would be possible to (semi-) accurately quantify the number of people who are med/dent students/hopefuls by location?

For example, upon signing up, can you make users to indicate their location of study + type of study which can then be recorded for statistics purposes (and be anonymous)?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Just making a note here to remind us, but we should try and get back the MSO fb page running. It seems @Shizzy is the admin but is currently not available, so just posting this here until he's back 需要安全验证 (not sure why it doesn't link in English...)