Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Feedback and Suggestions How would you change MSO?

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
It gets me every time... I try to stay on top of that cursor, but the little bastard just keeps jumping around.

It only jumps back when you hit backspace then it glitches and goes somewhere random.

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
Actually this might be something [MENTION=1]isuru[/MENTION] and [MENTION=410]Shizzy[/MENTION] might be interested in.

Crispy

Well I would get hatbox back for everyone, not just the 50+ posters. I know there were good reasons for making a limit, but I wish we could all have it anyway. On my first time on here as a member, I was stressing out before UMAT and it was great to chat to others who were preparing for it too.

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Well I would get hatbox back for everyone, not just the 50+ posters. I know there were good reasons for making a limit, but I wish we could all have it anyway. On my first time on here as a member, I was stressing out before UMAT and it was great to chat to others who were preparing for it too.

With the new hatbox that we implemented very recently (1-2 weeks) there is the possibility of having an open hatbox room for guests and members <25 posts. Thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Crispy

With the new hatbox that we implemented very recently (1-2 weeks) there is the possibility of having an open hatbox room for guests and members <50 posts. Thoughts on this?
Sounds like a very good compromise, I'd be happy using that until I rack up enough posts.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
With the new hatbox that we implemented very recently (1-2 weeks) there is the possibility of having an open hatbox room for guests and members <50 posts. Thoughts on this?

Hi,

I am not sure about that still but are there going to be two separate chats or something?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
I don't really see a need for two chats, the one we have seems good I think.

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I believe the hatbox should only be visible to those who have 50+ posts. The very reason we changed the hatbox rule was to encourage forum activity and I have only seen more activity on forums ever since.

Enabling it for everyone defeats the purpose and also encourages users to use the hatbox predominantly to discuss topics that should rather be posted on forums (which was the case before). It also means added job for already very busy moderators to juggle between different chat groups.

Edit: To those who do not have access to hatbox, I don't want to be the party pooper, but if you really want the hatbox, you'll have to work for it as I believe it's not a right but more of a privilege those who stay here long enough get :). I really mean it in a nice way.

Last edited:

Myst

Maybe have an option for reading back on conversations missed in hatbox from the time that specific member went offline, till online again ?

iMMO

WSU MBBS V
For offers threads would it be possible to make a form you can fill and then submit which will then post for you with all the relevant details. Paging Dr. Has a setup like this, which I think works really well. It will also allow us to the data in excel format and make predictions for next year rather than having to sort through the posts and add in the details ourselves into the excel sheets. We can make cool graphs and stuff too. Plus it makes everything consistent and posters don't need to think about what to write, they simply fill out the form. Thoughts?

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
For offers threads would it be possible to make a form you can fill and then submit which will then post for you with all the relevant details.

Yes and no. At present with the Xenforo setup that we run I can't actually implement a detailed data collection system directly on a forum page with replies below it, the most I can do is a poll series which then becomes hard to output the data from automatically. I could theoretically build a specific webpage for collecting data that is within the MSO domain but I don't currently have the time to do this.

A much easier solution is for a surveymonkey form which I have planned to build. I have some time tonight so I will sit down and make one up to send through to the moderators for final adjustments - thanks for the heads up!

Ruth

Maderator
Emeritus Staff

Is it at 50 posts atm? I thought it was at 25

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Is it at 50 posts atm? I thought it was at 25

Correct, it is >25.

Maybe have an option for reading back on conversations missed in hatbox from the time that specific member went offline, till online again ?

Do normal users have access to the hatbox archives? I think they should but haven't specifically tested the permissions.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Yeah should do. I have one that I've already semi-mocked up, I just can't remember what account I put it under! I'll update ASAP.

Awesome!

I have actually been trying to make an excel sheet Otao one but didn't get much far with it... I think surveymonkey would work quite well for collecting the data.

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
I've made a notice with a link to an interview offers survey, I'll leave this up for a few days and will change it to a QTAC etc. offers on the appropriate dates with a very similar survey!

Let me know if you have any feedback re: survey design.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
I've made a notice with a link to an interview offers survey, I'll leave this up for a few days and will change it to a QTAC etc. offers on the appropriate dates with a very similar survey!

Let me know if you have any feedback re: survey design.

Would it be possible for me to look at it without actually submitting one?

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Would it be possible for me to look at it without actually submitting one?

Unfortunately not without me actually paying for the surveymonkey account - apparently sharing surveys requires 'Pro' membership!

The questions are as follows:

1. Where are you from?
2. Are you standard/non-standard/international
3. Have you applied by a rural pathway
3a. If you are rural, what is your RA rating?
4. What were your UMAT raw scores and overall percentile?
5. If you are standard applicant what is your ATAR/OP/IB/Predicted
6. If you are a on-standard what is your GPA
7. Which universities have you applied to and have gotten offers for?
8. Is there anything you would like to see more of at MSO?