Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Monash Monash Medicine: Accommodation Discussion

bifo

I am lucky enough to be a Med student in 2017. Likely, I have to look for off-campus accommodation. Would you know shared house for Med student?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
I am lucky enough to be a Med student in 2017. Likely, I have to look for off-campus accommodation. Would you know shared house for Med student?

Congrats on gaining entrance to Monash!

If you're looking to stay with other med students, this group might be your best shot: MUMUS Marketplace

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
@pi not renting out your house are you?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator

Ietlou

Hey bifo, welcome to Monash!
I'm assuming you're an international student from some of your past posts - I've spent the last year living off campus and plan to do again this year. As far as I know, there are essentially three options for accommodation for international students:

1. Living on campus in one of the many halls (potentially already full, and quite expensive)
2. Renting out a room near uni with other students renting out the other rooms (cheaper)
3. Renting out a house/apartment/unit near uni with some friends and staying there together (cheapest)

The vast majority of first year international students I know from my year decided to take option 1 and live on campus for convenience, and some then choose to move off campus for second year once they've met some fellow students and had a chance to get to know Clayton - however, if you'd rather not do this or it isn't an option for you, I'd definitely recommend trying to get some people together either through using the MUMUS pages or asking any other international students you know who are also attending Monash whom you wouldn't mind living with. You'll need to spend some time in Melbourne before you rent out a place so that you can inspect some properties, as most real estate agents will not allow you to rent a property until you've inspected it, and often pictures online of properties can be very misleading so it's best that you have a couple of weeks to go through some houses and see where you'd like to live.

Living with flatmates is also a solid option and you should be able to find plenty of other students (not necessarily med students) online who are willing to arrange on campus accommodation with you. The downside of this is that rooms are usually a little on the expensive side, and you don't have much choice as to who you live with. Hopefully, though, most roommates will be lovely!

Some useful links for finding places:
Clayton Share Accommodation | Flatmates.com.au
Real Estate & Property For Rent in Clayton, VIC 3168 (Page 1) - realestate.com.au
Rental Properties in Clayton, VIC 3168

Renting out a place is a big decision, so feel free to ask me anything :) I've only been doing this for a year so if anyone more experienced wants to chip in please do!

bifo

Hi letlou, Thanks for your advice. I prefer option 1 but fully booked. Unlike UK, Hall of resident seems not to be prioritised for 1st year international student. It is an frustrating so far as I have been turned down by several landlords after they found more secure tenents in term of leasing period or rent.

Ietlou

Hi letlou, Thanks for your advice. I prefer option 1 but fully booked. Unlike UK, Hall of resident seems not to be prioritised for 1st year international student. It is an frustrating so far as I have been turned down by several landlords after they found more secure tenents in term of leasing period or rent.
Yeah, halls fills up very quickly - Just to make sure, you've clearly applied for halls but have you tried the 'Urban' studio apartment complexes? From anecdotal experience they seem to fill slightly later, but they're also a fair bit pricier (about $3000 p.a. more than Halls of Residence)

As for landlords, sorry to hear you've been having it tough so far :( Landlords tend to be pretty against giving leases less than 12 months - it's worth noting that even 12 month leases are usually cheaper than living on-campus, and while it's definitely possible to find a shorter lease, it can be quite difficult especially at the moment as there's relatively high demand for accommodation as the university year begins. There's no harm in applying though, aside from a couple of days of waiting for a response.

coker

Monash bMedSci/MD I
hey guys just wondering if anyone has any experience with on campus accommodation at monash this year. has anyone accepted an accommodation offer and if so, when was the deposit due by? i've just received an offer for accommodation but am an interstate applicant and so obviously haven't interviewed yet and don't really want to spend the money and then not actually go there

also is anyone else not able to download the offer pack? is says there should be link but it is nonexistent when i go to look

Last edited by a moderator:

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
Hello Coker,

Definetly ring MRS administration and see what they come up with. I am an oncampus student and faced a similar dilemma to yours. I asked if they could hold my place on the waiting list as I didn’t want to lose the deposit if I wasn’t successful.

Regarding your deposit question and dead offer pack link ring MRS admin.

Don’t hesitate to PM if you have any other concerns and hopefully I’ll see you this year around campus.

jelli

In the email I received about my accomodation offer it said that there was an offer pack that I had to download with all the paperwork in it from the MRS portal
coker are you looking on a computer? The pack wouldn't load when I used my phone, but did on my laptop. Also would recommend checking if you have a PDF reader. :) The deposit due date should be the same as the acceptance date specified in the email unless you get special provision (which may be tricky considering the length of the waiting list for some accommodation)
Edit: if you still haven't been able to access it, I'm happy to send through an email with a copy

coker

Monash bMedSci/MD I
coker are you looking on a computer? The pack wouldn't load when I used my phone, but did on my laptop. Also would recommend checking if you have a PDF reader. :)
Edit: if you still haven't been able to access it, I'm happy to send through an email with a copy
Yes I have been trying on a computer, there is just no link on the page, if you could email it to me that would be fantastic, thank you

coker

Monash bMedSci/MD I
Like this one?
The email is similar to that, however it then asks me to log into the MRS portal and shows me my offer and says "Your offer pack is now available for download via the link provided below", expect there is no link. I think this may just be a technical error on Monash's part and will call them tomorrow to hopefully get it fixed.

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
It’s not unreasonable to believe MRS has made a mistake. They have had problems with the accomodation portal before.

Carrot

Monash BMedSci/ MD
I got an offer to Monash this morning and so I was wondering what my chances would be like in getting on campus accomodation?