Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Auckland Entrance Thread 2017

Hey everyone, just got my umat results an they look bleak lol
Just wondering if i still have a shot at med...

Got a raw score of 150 and overall percentile of 50 for umat...
gpa for last semester (core) was 7, currently sitting on a 8/9 for medsci, so potentially a 7.25/7.5 overall core gpa at the end of the year
In terms of the the supplementary information/form i have a lot to write about in terms of co-curricular/sports etc (would this boost my chances just curious?)

would i still stand a chance at getting into med with a great interview?

thanks

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Hi there. You might have to wait until some of the NZ regulars are on to answer this. Cathay/frootloop/Ruth - any ideas?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hey everyone, just got my umat results an they look bleak lol
Just wondering if i still have a shot at med...

Got a raw score of 150 and overall percentile of 50 for umat...
gpa for last semester (core) was 7, currently sitting on a 8/9 for medsci, so potentially a 7.25/7.5 overall core gpa at the end of the year
In terms of the the supplementary information/form i have a lot to write about in terms of co-curricular/sports etc (would this boost my chances just curious?)

would i still stand a chance at getting into med with a great interview?

thanks

Hi @riekomckenzie ,

You still have some chance of getting in especially off the wait-list. So, don't lose hope and get that 7.5! Don't try to/stress out about trying to see if you a have a chance or not. There IS a chance and that is enough for you to keep going.

Join the current Auckland thread for more discussions! - http://medstudentsonline.com.au/for...t-year-fy-bhsc-bsc-2016-chat-enquiries.29884/

Good luck!

Hi @riekomckenzie ,

You still have some chance of getting in especially off the wait-list. So, don't lose hope and get that 7.5! Don't try to/stress out about trying to see if you a have a chance or not. There IS a chance and that is enough for you to keep going.

Join the current Auckland thread for more discussions! - http://medstudentsonline.com.au/for...t-year-fy-bhsc-bsc-2016-chat-enquiries.29884/

Good luck!
you have given me hope <3 thank you so much! defos relieved some of my pressure <3

Hello everyone! Is Level 2 physics sufficient knowledge for the physics paper in Biomed at Auckland or is taking level 3 physics a good idea? Im thinking of dropping physics at level 3 because I'm not the best at it. Help please!

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
Hello everyone! Is Level 2 physics sufficient knowledge for the physics paper in Biomed at Auckland or is taking level 3 physics a good idea? Im thinking of dropping physics at level 3 because I'm not the best at it. Help please!

Level 2 would be enough, most of the content is either from level 1, level 2, or is completely new. Also, remember that PHYSICS 160 is a non-core paper so you don't need to get a high grade in it - a B- or even lower would have zero impact on your chances for med as long as it doesn't drag your overall GPA below 6.0.

PHYSICS 160 has some very difficult concepts covered in the lectures, I know people who are good at Physics and got all E credits in level 3 and struggled with them. However, when it comes to the actual tests/exam the questions that are asked are pretty easy for the most part. You are also allowed to take one handwritten, double sided A4 cheat sheet into the tests, and two sheets into the exam. You can put whatever you want on these - equations, definitions, theory etc. A good cheat sheet combined with a bit of study will easily allow you to get 70% + in the tests, even if you struggle with physics. On top of this, the labs are quite easy to average 90% + in, and you can easily get 100% in the tutorials and online quizzes which are worth a total of 15% of the overall grade. Also, the grade boundaries are 5% lower (A+ is 84.5, A is 79.5 etc). All of these factors combined mean that it is pretty easy to get a decent mark even though the content is quite difficult - I suck at maths and had no idea what was going on in a lot of the lectures, but I still managed a good mark, largely due to all of the above factors. I really wouldn't worry too much about Physics - there is already enough worrying to be done about the core papers!

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff

Hi,

I think my answer here would be similar to what I said on the HSFY thread. HOWEVER, I am not too familiar with the paper itself. I have been informed it is somewhat similar to PHSI191 (grain of salt!). At this point, for Auckland, it comes back to the priority I mentioned. The 250/280 points, that's your priority. Can you get it or not? If it's on the "not" side of the spectrum, then I would recommend dropping physics. Just bear in mind that I am less credible for PHYSICS160.

Level 2 would be enough, most of the content is either from level 1, level 2, or is completely new. Also, remember that PHYSICS 160 is a non-core paper so you don't need to get a high grade in it - a B- or even lower would have zero impact on your chances for med as long as it doesn't drag your overall GPA below 6.0.

PHYSICS 160 has some very difficult concepts covered in the lectures, I know people who are good at Physics and got all E credits in level 3 and struggled with them. However, when it comes to the actual tests/exam the questions that are asked are pretty easy for the most part. You are also allowed to take one handwritten, double sided A4 cheat sheet into the tests, and two sheets into the exam. You can put whatever you want on these - equations, definitions, theory etc. A good cheat sheet combined with a bit of study will easily allow you to get 70% + in the tests, even if you struggle with physics. On top of this, the labs are quite easy to average 90% + in, and you can easily get 100% in the tutorials and online quizzes which are worth a total of 15% of the overall grade. Also, the grade boundaries are 5% lower (A+ is 84.5, A is 79.5 etc). All of these factors combined mean that it is pretty easy to get a decent mark even though the content is quite difficult - I suck at maths and had no idea what was going on in a lot of the lectures, but I still managed a good mark, largely due to all of the above factors. I really wouldn't worry too much about Physics - there is already enough worrying to be done about the core papers!
Thanks man, I really do hope I can drop Physics and just switch over to English. ugh this is so frustrating not having any other spots in English