Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS Applicant Support Group

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
For all its trials and tribulations, the one thing I can say about the UTAS application/offer debacle for 2017 entry is: the friends I've made here at MSO have made it all worthwhile. I think we've been amazing support for, and supporters of, each other, and I'd love to continue that on in some way as we head into another year.

Let's use this thread to keep in touch, bemoan (and then, hopefully, celebrate!) UMAT and GAMSAT, discuss plans for 2017, discuss plans for 2018 (!!), organise catch-ups/commiseration sessions/wine and/or gin nights, and generally just as a place to continue being there for one another. Speaking personally for a second, most of my regular friends and colleagues think I'm crazy for wanting to study Medicine, so having some people around me who not only understand but want the same thing has been freaking awesome! I really would love for that to continue :)

Vocal participants and lurkers alike are more than welcome. Also, all the non-UTAS applicants who feel like they 'lived' this roller coaster with us? More than welcome, too!

syzygy

Hi LMG,

It would be great to have a coffee and meet the person behind the acronym!
Do you work at Sandy Bay or in Hobart? You must have posted before, but I forget.

Sam

Reactions: EJM

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
For all its trials and tribulations, the one thing I can say about the UTAS application/offer debacle for 2017 entry is: the friends I've made here at MSO have made it all worthwhile. I think we've been amazing support for, and supporters of, each other, and I'd love to continue that on in some way as we head into another year.

Let's use this thread to keep in touch, bemoan (and then, hopefully, celebrate!) UMAT and GAMSAT, discuss plans for 2017, discuss plans for 2018 (!!), organise catch-ups/commiseration sessions/wine and/or gin nights, and generally just as a place to continue being there for one another. Speaking personally for a second, most of my regular friends and colleagues think I'm crazy for wanting to study Medicine, so having some people around me who not only understand but want the same thing has been freaking awesome! I really would love for that to continue :)

Vocal participants and lurkers alike are more than welcome. Also, all the non-UTAS applicants who feel like they 'lived' this roller coaster with us? More than welcome, too!

Elle McGee, MSO is all the better for you as well. (for all others - no, that's not actually what LMG stands for, I'm not doxxing, relax)

Thanks for your contributions thus far. I think I echo everyone's sentiments when I say we all want you to get in and we all want you to stick around. Let me know if you are ever in Sydney :)

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Elle McGee, MSO is all the better for you as well. (for all others - no, that's not actually what LMG stands for, I'm not doxxing, relax)

Thanks for your contributions thus far. I think I echo everyone's sentiments when I say we all want you to get in and we all want you to stick around. Let me know if you are ever in Sydney :)

I can't stand it anymore, lets just make @LMG a mod.

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
@LMG You brought the UTAS discussions alive as we all struggled to understand what was happening with the 2017 offers.

Best wishes for either a very late offer to UTAS or otherwise for every success in gaining entrance next year.

Good luck keeping up with all the youngsters!

Last edited:

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Thank you, @Mana! I really do love it here, haha! You're definitely stuck with me, no matter what happens this year.

As for if I'm ever in Sydney, definitely planning to spend plenty of time in the general vicinity from 2018 onwards!

Tennille

Lurker
Hello non-standards,

Does anyone have confirmation whether UTas will be offering places for (true) non-standards in 2018? I have been through the pages of correspondence on the offers forum and it seems many are as confused as me as to whether this is still a recognised pathway! I have contacted admissions but am yet to hear anything back. Would love to know if anyone has knowledge regarding this before I sign up for UMAT. Many thanks.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hey Tennille,

I think UTAS posted that they were going to offer non-standard places for 2018 with a reduced intake early in the year, then they withdrew that webpage, then they put it back up again... and now I don't even know. I doubt even UTAS themselves know what they are doing in all honesty.

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox

EJM

Whilst emailing UTAS does seem like the best option and having emailed them weeks ago about this exact question (more about whether or not my identical BBiotechMedRes counts as BMedRes) with my question handballed several times, who really knows. I think it is fair to say UTAS don't even know at this stage because the rumour mill is going crazy down here too!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi @Tennille,

Like those above have already indicated, the UTAS threads here at MSO are a bit confusing because that's been our perpetual state of being for some months now!! Sorry we don't have a clearer answer for you. Even emailing UTAS won't necessarily get you accurate information, as most of us have learned.

One of the rumours doing the rounds is that admission eligibility is going to be reviewed in April this year. I stress, this is a rumour, and we have no idea whether, if it's true, it means for 2018 entry or the more recent rumours concerning 2020 entry.

However, given UMAT registration doesn't close until June, you don't need to make a decision on that front just yet and could potentially wait and see what April brings (if anything).

Out of interest, I assume you're not interested in mainland undergrad unis? I wasn't last year either, gambled everything on UTAS and what would historically have been a shoo-in UMAT %ile, and missed out. I'm kicking myself for not applying more widely, but also can acknowledge that I wasn't ready to make the Mainland Move at the time. I am now!

If you get a reply to your email, please let us know :)

And welcome to the support group!

Tennille

Lurker
Hello,

I received this email today:

Entry into the MBBS will be changing for tertiary or mature age students after next year. 2018 will be the last year that tertiary or mature age applicants can apply directly for admission into the MBBS. From 2019 the sole tertiary entry point is via the Bachelor of Medical Research (M3M).

To apply in 2018 you will need the pre-requisite English and Chemistry subjects, together with a competitive UMAT score and a Distinction average (70%) or high over the last three semesters of your previous completed or uncompleted degree. See our MBBS (M3N) webpage and, in particular, the Entry Requirements tab.

For your information we have 100 domestic places available in our MBBS Year 1 cohort. The application process is highly competitive, especially for tertiary applicants, and lsat year we received over 3,000 applications for 2017. The pre-quisites are a minimum requirement for eligibility only and the standard required to achieve an offer is, of course, much higher. The standards required also vary from year to year as the applicant pool also varies.

If you use the Ask Us webpage and type in Medicine, there are 33 questions and answers there that should hopefully answer any more of your queries. If not, please do feel free to contact us again on this email address, with any specific questions.

I do hope the above has assisted you. Regards, Robyn Sinclair

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi @Tennille,

Thank you very much for reporting back with your reply. Much appreciated.

Also, it's very interesting to see that they seem to have moved the goal-posts AGAIN with regard to when the new 'BMedRes pathway only' for mature aged students kicks in. I really want to believe that 2019 is a solid answer (pleeeease!!), but I've seen it switch (sometimes weekly on the website) from 2018 to 2019 several times now.

[imagine strikethrough here!]Anyway, long story short: this reply seems pretty solid, so we can probably move forward with the understanding that we have one more year as non-standards to ace UMAT and give it a go. I'd think a %ile rank of 98 will be required for reasonable offer assurance, with some offers possibly going slightly lower than that, as was the case this year.[/imagined strikethrough] SEE EDIT BELOW.

I think we can also safely assume that rural status is of no real benefit to non-standard students as, despite the Rural Application Process office repeatedly indicating non-standards are eligible for consideration via this pathway, it does not appear a single non-standard student receive a RAP offer this year. But note: this is definitely an assumption! And I'll still be submitting an application regardless!

With regard to the 2020 rumour referenced above: I had it confirmed yesterday as "definitely not a rumour" from someone associated with UTAS (and a current RHH senior employee) so I'll report it here now, UTAS are planning a move to post-grad only entry as of 2020.

I have NO IDEA how this fits with the current changes and the introduction of the mandatory BMedRes enrollment for 2019. Unfortunately, I have no more details than the fact it's not a rumour. I don't know if they're going the GAMSAT route, or if they're going to provisional entry route, or if it will be some other process entirely but, just... FYI/watch this space, I guess.

ETA: To emphasise my skepticism above: the link provided in the email received by @Tennille that opens the M3N MBBS course information clearly indicates the BMedRes only route is now current. In fact, non-standard entry is not mentioned AT ALL...

Last edited: