Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Auckland Post OLY-1 Options/International Non-standard Applications

So it's a wee way off yet, but I am a BHSc student at Auckland and I was thinking of applying to med schools across Australia in addition to Auckland to broaden my chances. Plan A is to finish this year successfully and get a place at Auckland, but that isn't guaranteed of course. I am an NZ citizen but not an Australian PR/citizen.

Basically, does anyone have experience/tips about where to start gathering information about non-standard applications and whether many Australian universities are still taking students like this or whether it's just high school leavers and graduates now?

And has anyone does this themselves?

P.S. I do know that the fee categories have changed. And sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, wasn't sure where it fit.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
So it's a wee way off yet, but I am a BHSc student at Auckland and I was thinking of applying to med schools across Australia in addition to Auckland to broaden my chances. Plan A is to finish this year successfully and get a place at Auckland, but that isn't guaranteed of course. I am an NZ citizen but not an Australian PR/citizen.

Basically, does anyone have experience/tips about where to start gathering information about non-standard applications and whether many Australian universities are still taking students like this or whether it's just high school leavers and graduates now?

And has anyone does this themselves?

P.S. I do know that the fee categories have changed. And sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, wasn't sure where it fit.

There are still a few universities in Australia that accept non-standard applications from individuals who have started or completed degrees (Aus or NZ citizens and PRs).

Almost all of them require UMAT, so I'm going to assume you're already registered for this.

UTAS: Realistically, GPA 6.0+, UMAT 96th%ile+ (S2: 60+). Very minimal places on offer this year (4 or 5), and presumed to be similar next year. Chem pre-requisite. Apply via UTAS website after Sept 1st.

UoN/UNE (JMP): GPA hurdle depending on how much university you've done, UMAT 60/50/50 minimum to be offered interview. Place offers based on interview performance. You nominate a campus (Newcastle or New England) but aren't guaranteed to be allocated it if you're successful. Apply via UAC.

WSU: GPA hurdle depending on how much university you've done. UMAT emphasis appears to be S1 and S2 scores in combo, with S3 used as a tiebreaker to determine interview offer. Interview/UMAT combo used to determine place offer. Apply via UAC.

JCU: No UMAT. Written application and GPA used to determine interview offers. Chem, Eng, and Maths pre-requisites. Apply via QTAC.

Curtin University: This year is their first year. I don't know much about it, they have minimal (~5?) non-standards places in their allocation. UMAT and interview required. Apply via TISC.

Keep in mind, if you train in Aus, you're probably going to be working in Aus, at least in the short-medium term, so you'll need to be committed to the idea of living here for a while :)

Fees will vary depending on university, but it looks like you're aware of the potential cost (~$35k per year).

Wow thanks for your quick (and long!) reply. Given me some good options to look into, the only one I had already identified was WSU.

Yes I have registered for UMAT as I am hoping to get into med in NZ as well.

Are those GPAs you're quoting on the Australian scale? Or is a score of 6.0 the same on both? That would be too much to hope for!

Keep in mind, if you train in Aus, you're probably going to be working in Aus, at least in the short-medium term, so you'll need to be committed to the idea of living here for a while

Yes if I were to be accepted I would be willing to commit to Australia long term. :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Wow thanks for your quick (and long!) reply. Given me some good options to look into, the only one I had already identified was WSU.

Yes I have registered for UMAT as I am hoping to get into med in NZ as well.

Are those GPAs you're quoting on the Australian scale? Or is a score of 6.0 the same on both? That would be too much to hope for!

Yes if I were to be accepted I would be willing to commit to Australia long term. :)

No problemo. I'm living and breathing this info (and UMAT study) at the moment.

As @biom mentioned, GPA is a 7.0 scale but I think there are some calculators you can use to get an idea of your conversion. Rumour has it NZ GPAs convert quite favourably.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Do you think it's worth contacting universities now or waiting until late August or even September when admissions rounds open?

Depends what you'd be contacting them for. If you want to check whether you meet pre-reqs or not, then contacting them now would probably useful so you've got time to enrol in bridging courses.

If your questions are about, say, I dunno on-campus accommodation options, then maybe it's a bit early for that.

I could be more specific on the advice if I knew what info you wanted. Also, chances are we have the info here :)

Depends what you'd be contacting them for.

Haha of course! I would just want to check I'm on the right track and will meet all pre-requisites and confirm with some universities that they would accept my application (e.g. Curtin says on their website that "Non school leavers are applicants from any university who hold a completed tertiary degree record or Curtin course switchers" which seem to imply I wouldn't be eligible, but if this is their first year taking non-standards then maybe that info isn't up to date yet).

To clarify I am just about to finish the first semester of a Bachelor of Health Sciences (pathway into medicine course so what I think used to be called OLY 1) so the courses I have done so far are Chemistry, Biology and two population health papers. Next semester will be Med Sci, more population health papers and a gen ed.

Might start emailing over mid semester break... in between UMAT study!