Eddy1993

Core GPA / Overall GPA: 7.75/7.625
UMAT: 73rd percentile
Interview Offer: Yes
OLY1 / Graduate: First year
MAPAS: No
RRAS: No
Med Offer: Offered and accepted!

Absolutely no idea how i got in considering my interview went pretty badly (awkward silences, stuttering, repeating myself etc.) but i guess miracles do happen! I think it helped that i was very smiley and friendly throughout the interviews and made sure to shake their hands before and after.
Just wondering... how old are you? I'm planning on doing first year BioMed as well and come from a non science background.

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Really? I haven't heard many graduates being waitlisted... for e.g. Cat from this thread got a solid GPA and an okay UMAT, she wasn't even waitlisted, she got declined

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Really? I haven't heard many graduates being waitlisted... for e.g. Cat from this thread got a solid GPA and an okay UMAT, she wasn't even waitlisted, she got declined

I don't know if a 30s %ile UMAT is "OK" (seems kinda a bit low no?) but I've seen a couple of people with "solid" GPAs declined, one of whom in practical reality, almost certainly got "automatic fail" under the old two person interview, and well, let's be fair (albeit a bit linear), it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out where they went wrong then huh?

P

posting123

I don't know if a 30s %ile UMAT is "OK" (seems kinda a bit low no?) but I've seen a couple of people with "solid" GPAs declined, one of whom in practical reality, almost certainly got "automatic fail" under the old two person interview, and well, let's be fair (albeit a bit linear), it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out where they went wrong then huh?

For Auckland graduate pathway, do they still have automatic fail or automatic entry based on interview?

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
For Auckland graduate pathway, do they still have automatic fail or automatic entry based on interview?

When Auckland changed to the MMI in 2014 they removed the "auto entry" and "auto-fail".

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Yes you do! Yes there are people - I know them personally as well. Try your best - you never know what will happen and it might always surprise you come December. Even if you don't get in, you will have no regrets, knowing that you didn't give up half way through the year and tried your best!

(I don't usually post here, I only do when I think I can be positive! Hope you find this helpful!)

bioperson

Yes you do! Yes there are people - I know them personally as well. Try your best - you never know what will happen and it might always surprise you come December. Even if you don't get in, you will have no regrets, knowing that you didn't give up half way through the year and tried your best!

(I don't usually post here, I only do when I think I can be positive! Hope you find this helpful!)
thank you for giving me some hope :) I would also like to ask, did your friends get above 90 percentile in their UMAT?

Yes they did. However we cannot say for sure that "7.5 GPA and 90+ UMAT" will guarantee a space in med. Perhaps they didn't interview that well, so their higher UMAT helped them.

I'm just trying to encourage you to avoid thinking things like "ok with a GPA of 7.5 I have to get 90+ UMAT and when I don't get 90+ UMAT I won't really have a chance so I'll give up"

Yes, I do not personally know anyone in my year who got in with 7.25, but I have heard in other years that there are people in med with 7.25. Keep in mind that the number will be very few, because it is a lower GPA.

It can seem like your cohort is 'smarter' than usual - I guarantee this happens every year. In my year one of my friends told me "there's actually a lot of people with 9.0." I asked him "how many?" He said "about 50?" I said, "who?" and he said... "well there's me, him, her, that guy... yea that's all I know."

The point is that every year people think you need 8.75/9.0 to get in, and every year this is proven false. When I got into med, I didn't know about 90% of the class. That just shows you that the people you talk to in first year is not representative of your future med class - so just because 10 of your friends have 9.0, it does not mean that 'a lot of people have high GPAs and I don't have a chance with my GPA'

bioperson

I see, thanks for replying. With regard to the interview, I hear it has only one role play section. For the rest of the sections, do they ask you personal questions like "why you want to be a doctor?" and other things like how the NZ health system works? Are the things I need to know for the interview is how the health system works and health policies? Is there anything more I need to know?

smallgondola

Auckland MBChB II
I see, thanks for replying. With regard to the interview, I hear it has only one role play section. For the rest of the sections, do they ask you personal questions like "why you want to be a doctor?" and other things like how the NZ health system works? Are the things I need to know for the interview is how the health system works and health policies? Is there anything more I need to know?

Hey there,

Yes, they could ask you why you want to be a doctor however it's unlikely they'll ask it in that phrasing because its quite cliché. Knowing your career motivations is a pretty good way for the interviewers to gauge if you are suited for medicine. There tends to always be a personal question so if they don't ask something along lines of that in the opening question, they will likely ask it in a follow up.

I personally did not get directly asked this -- I got asked "what do I want to achieve/ what are my goals as a healthcare practitioner?" in a follow up and you can see how it sort of ties in to the "why you would want to be a doctor" question

Hope that helps :)

bioperson

Hey there,

Yes, they could ask you why you want to be a doctor however it's unlikely they'll ask it in that phrasing because its quite cliché. Knowing your career motivations is a pretty good way for the interviewers to gauge if you are suited for medicine. There tends to always be a personal question so if they don't ask something along lines of that in the opening question, they will likely ask it in a follow up.

I personally did not get directly asked this -- I got asked "what do I want to achieve/ what are my goals as a healthcare practitioner?" in a follow up and you can see how it sort of ties in to the "why you would want to be a doctor" question

Hope that helps :)
thank you :) did they ask you about how the healthcare system works and health care policies?

smallgondola

Auckland MBChB II
thank you :) did they ask you about how the healthcare system works and health care policies?
Yup, you can check out the interview thread for the list of question I got. I think they asked me about reforms to our water sanitation, something about water fluoridation. I hadn't heard about this in the news before the interview so I kind of had to wing it on the spot with what I had learned in poplhlth but I reckon they don't expect any prior knowledge in order to give a good answer. It's just a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.