JCU JCU Dentistry: General Discussion

Apply for rural work experience?

• Yes, will increase your chances.

Votes: 44 71.0%
  • No need

Votes: 18 29.0%

• Total voters

JordossM

I am from Townsville, got an A on the QCS, got an OP 4, have had over 3 weeks of work experience at various Dental practices and received references from all 3. My application is quite good (I know that's hard to judge but I had it checked by many people who were impressed) and the references I attached were 2 from the dental practices (in which they both detailed how passionate I am about rural dentistry and health issues) and 1 from my employer and friend who had known me for over half of my life. What are my chances of getting in?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
I am from Townsville, got an A on the QCS, got an OP 4, have had over 3 weeks of work experience at various Dental practices and received references from all 3. My application is quite good (I know that's hard to judge but I had it checked by many people who were impressed) and the references I attached were 2 from the dental practices (in which they both detailed how passionate I am about rural dentistry and health issues) and 1 from my employer and friend who had known me for over half of my life. What are my chances of getting in?

Given the OP 4, probably not very high.

JordossM

Really? the majority of the other posts about JCU Dentistry have people that aren't even rural like myself get in on 5s. And a girl from Cairns even got in on an OP 8. It is much easier for us North Queenslanders and locals to get in. A JCU representative I spoke to said given my 4, work experience and rural location I should be fine. (RA3 Location btw)

Last edited:

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
I got an offer today! super stoked!!

Well done! I guess it goes to show that for JCU the strength of your application can make up for a lower OP rank.

JordossM

CONGRATS JordossM.

It's my dream to get into Dentistry at JCU, however, I am struggling to find dental physicians that will allow me to shadow them for a few weeks.

How did you manage to get work experience from various dental clinics? Any advice will help. I am struggling!

From what I can tell from what you said, perhaps try to go to several dental clinics for a few days instead of seeking one for a few weeks. Make your intentions of observation to aid your uni application and general interest in the field apparent, clarity for the dental clinic would be much appreciated! If you aren't already, perhaps go into a local clinic and ask about it with a resume prepared (I'm not sure why either, they just always asked for one.) be very polite and ask if it's possible.

It might be helpful to know what you have and haven't tried. I should note I started in year 11 and continued throughout year 12. I'm willing to help because I know how helpful it would have been to have this advice from someone who got in.

JordossM

Would you be able to post your response for your application?
I'm sorry, much of my application was incredibly personal and shared some very specific personal details that I'm not willing to post on the forum.

However, I believe your applications should be very specific to your passions on dentistry and play to your strengths (eg. For me, it was the fact I had plenty of work experience and lived in a rural area (JCU loves that).)

Sorry again that I can't post it.

smartgirl

I'm sorry, much of my application was incredibly personal and shared some very specific personal details that I'm not willing to post on the forum.

However, I believe your applications should be very specific to your passions on dentistry and play to your strengths (eg. For me, it was the fact I had plenty of work experience and lived in a rural area (JCU loves that).)

Sorry again that I can't post it.

Thank you. Im so sorry for asking. I didn't know it was personal. How are you finding first year Dentistry though?

JordossM

Thank you. Im so sorry for asking. I didn't know it was personal. How are you finding first year Dentistry though?
Don't sweat it . So far first years been fantastic, majority of lecturers are great. Big step up in difficulty from high school if you are a school leaver like I was. We haven't actually learnt all that much about dentistry though, we have 1 subject on it (first semester) and the rest are pretty general anatomy and biochemistry. Very similar to pre-clinical med after some comparison to mates back in townsville doing med.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

smartgirl

Just wondering, what is the lowest O.P you've heard of someone getting into Dentistry?

JordossM

Just wondering, what is the lowest O.P you've heard of someone getting into Dentistry?
There's rumours of an 8 that got in a few years ago from Cairns. The average seems to be a 4 but I've seen a fair few 5s and 6s that got in. You don't really know many people's OPs bc once people get into the course they don't talk about it anymore

JordossM

Thanks for your response JordossM :)

I'm doing dental volunteering abroad for 2 months starting in December. VERY EXCITING!

I'll take your advice and visit some local clinics too and ask if i can shadow them for a few days. Do you suggest calling them up first or just walking in? What was your experience doing this?
That sounds like an awesome idea, not only will you get some solid life experience but also some to use in your application. I always went into local clinics in person because it shows the dentists working there some initiative and will make them more likely to take you on. I recommend having a professional resume ready, as they often ask for one. Good luck!

smartgirl

The dentistry application booklet says that there are 80 spots available for next year. Just wanted to ask if this number is the same as your cohort? :)

That sounds like an awesome idea, not only will you get some solid life experience but also some to use in your application. I always went into local clinics in person because it shows the dentists working there some initiative and will make them more likely to take you on. I recommend having a professional resume ready, as they often ask for one. Good luck!

JordossM

The dentistry application booklet says that there are 80 spots available for next year. Just wanted to ask if this number is the same as your cohort? :)
I believe we had 93 at the start of the year and we now have 86. Things change like people using it as a jumping off point into med, people failing (and dropping out if they decide it's not for them) and people repeating. They say 80, but likelihood is you'll have more than 80 in your intake.

kjz

I believe we had 93 at the start of the year and we now have 86. Things change like people using it as a jumping off point into med, people failing (and dropping out if they decide it's not for them) and people repeating. They say 80, but likelihood is you'll have more than 80 in your intake.

The real figure you provided is much higher than that from QTAC stats. QTAC figures are: 102 offers, 76 accepted, 69 enrolled. Are there a lot of international students (i.e. 20+) in your cohort?

JordossM

The real figure you provided is much higher than that from QTAC stats. QTAC figures are: 102 offers, 76 accepted, 69 enrolled. Are there a lot of international students (i.e. 20+) in your cohort?
There's a fair few international students. I got my info for our intake from the 1st year coordinator and anatomy lecturer, so take that as you will.

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Thanks for your response JordossM :)

I'm doing dental volunteering abroad for 2 months starting in December. VERY EXCITING!

Hi there!
Where did you apply to get dental volunteering abroad? (Congrats, and hope it's an awesome/fulfilling time :) )