Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Interview Invites and Dates 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
This will be updated as I confirm dates from the various universities. Please point out errors or missing information.

James Cook University (Med & Dent)

Medicine interview invites sent via email to successful applicants on 10th November, 2017. Second round interview invites sent via email on the 29th of December, 2017.
  • First round interviews: 28th November - 7th December, 2017
  • Second round interviews: 4th and 5th January, 2018
  • Nil interviews for Dentistry

Bond University (Med)
Applications not yet open.

Western Sydney University (Med)

Interview invites will be sent gradually from mid-October to mid-November. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified of this by mid-November. Last year, the first lot of interview invites rolled out on Oct 24th and continued to do so for a while after that.

EDIT: Interview invites started rolling out from approximately 3.20pm on Friday 20th October.
  • NSW, ACT, and NT applicants and all rural applicants: 21st - 24th November, 2017
  • Non-rural (non-ACT/NT) interstate applicants: 25th January, 2018

Joint Medical Program (University of Newcastle/University of New England) (Med)
Specifics unknown re. distribution of interview invites. Last year, interview invites started rolling out on Oct 26th.
  • NSW, ACT, QLD and all rural applicants: 27th November - 8th December, 2017
  • All other interstate applicants: 22nd and 23rd January, 2018

University of New South Wales (Med)

Interview invites sent via email to NSW and ACT applicants on 7th November, 2017 (based on predicted ATAR). Interview invites sent via email to NSW and ACT applicants up until 23rd of December, 2017 (based on actual ATAR). Their key dates page does not indicate when interview invites will be sent to interstate students.
  • NSW and ACT applicants (predicted ATAR): 27th November - 1st December, 2017
  • NSW and ACT applicants (actual ATAR): 4th and 5th January, 2018
  • Interstate and overseas applicants: 23rd January, 2018

University of Sydney (Dent)
  • First round Dentistry applicant assessment: December 18th, 2017
  • Second round Dentistry applicant assessment: January 22nd, 2018

Monash University (Med)
Interview invites sent late December for Vic, DRL, and DIL applicants. Interview invites sent mid January for interstate and New Zealand applicants.
  • VCE, DRL, DIL applicants: 3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th of January, 2018
  • Victorian IB applicants: 8th January, 2018
  • Interstate and New Zealand applicants: 23rd and 24th January, 2018

La Trobe University (Dent)
Website indicates dentistry "applicants may be required to attend an interview". Dates could not be sourced.

Adelaide University (Med and Dent)

Details unknown.

University of Western Australia (Provisional Med and Dent)
  • Local applicants with adequate UMAT and predicted ATAR: late November - early December, 2017.
  • Local and interstate applicants with adequate UMAT and actual ATAR: mid - late January, 2018.

Curtin University (Med)
First round interview invites sent late November.
  • First round: 2nd and 3rd December, 2017
  • Second round: 22nd and 23rd January, 2018

Charles Sturt (Dent)
First round interviews are 20th - 24th of November.

Invites were released at approximately midday on the 24th of October.

As far as I'm aware, the following universities do not hold interviews for medicine/provisional medicine courses: University of Queensland (provisional medicine), Griffith University (provisional medicine), University of Tasmania, Flinders University (provisional medicine). [Edited by A1] Melbourne University does not hold interviews for the "provisional" Chancellor's Program but will do in the final undergrad year before admission to the MD course.

If you receive an interview invite, and would like to share your details, that would be excellent for our data collection.

University:
Course:
(Med or Dent)
Predicted ATAR/GPA:
UMAT:
Special Considerations:
(none, rural, GWS, etc)
Application Type: (school leaver, non-standard, etc)

Last edited:

Agetate

Do we know when UNSW conducts non-standard interviews? I tried asking them and they (very unhelpfully) pointed me back to their webpage.

hpfanfiction

Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital
Emeritus Staff
As far as I'm aware, the following universities do not hold interviews for medicine/provisional medicine courses: University of Queensland (provisional medicine), Griffith University (provisional medicine), University of Sydney, Melbourne University, University of Tasmania, Flinders University (provisional medicine), University of Western Australia (provisional medicine).
UWA (Provisional) definitely has an interview component
Domestic Direct Pathways interview selection > Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences: The University of Western Australia
High Academic Achievement Direct Pathway to MD and DMD > Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences: The University of Western Australia

hpfanfiction

Paediatric Healer at St. Mungo's Hospital
Emeritus Staff
Do we know when UNSW conducts non-standard interviews? I tried asking them and they (very unhelpfully) pointed me back to their webpage.
Given that UNSW doesn't have a separate quota for /doesn't even reference non-standard students , I suppose the dates would be the same for all local students (whether standard or non-standard)?
Local applicants | Medicine

A1

Rookie Doc

Afaik UNSW does not differentiate nonstandard applicants from school leavers (other than using GPA+ATAR equivalent). But there may be a small difference in that they may not be invited to the Nov/Dec predicted-ATAR round since invites are sent out before end-of-year GPA is known.

Q3

Does JMP allow people to select their own times or is it you get what your given?

Hey so I just have a question about interview dates bc I'm possibly going overseas that time

I'm on a gap year: ATAR 99.10, UMAT 80% (63, 51, 56). Non rural, in ACT. I was told on the forum to expect interviews from JCU, UON/UNE and that's about it (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I got interviewed last year for jcu second round, and that was the only interview I got. Would I be second round this time too, with my ATAR being known? And for uon would I be included as interstate or local bc ACT?

Would I have any chance for the second/third round interviews for any of the other unis? Looking at med, but also have dentistry in preferences.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey so I just have a question about interview dates bc I'm possibly going overseas that time

I'm on a gap year: ATAR 99.10, UMAT 80% (63, 51, 56). Non rural, in ACT. I was told on the forum to expect interviews from JCU, UON/UNE and that's about it (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I got interviewed last year for jcu second round, and that was the only interview I got. Would I be second round this time too, with my ATAR being known? And for uon would I be included as interstate or local bc ACT?

Would I have any chance for the second/third round interviews for any of the other unis? Looking at med, but also have dentistry in preferences.

NSW/ACT/QLD applicants are included in UoN/JMP 1st interview round.
Logically JCU should know whether to give you an interview by 1st round, but there's a possibility if you are just under the 1st round cutoff *and* to fill all 2nd round slots the cutoff drops a little you might get an invite. Hard to know.

The other unis' 2nd/3rd rounds are mainly for interstate applicants. Unfortunately your ATAR/UMAT combination doesn't look enough for Monash or UWA, there's some chance for Curtin if you have applied.

Q3

Other unis typically hold 4 (MMI) to 10 (panel) interview sessions per day so you book one to suit yourself. JMP's session is like half-day long and I don't remember if they hold a morning/afternoon or just one per day. Basically you're given a date and have to be there practically all day.

So what do they do exactly that it takes that long? I know you cant give away interview questions but what can you tell me about the format? And is the PQA done on the same day?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
So what do they do exactly that it takes that long? I know you cant give away interview questions but what can you tell me about the format? And is the PQA done on the same day?

Yes, the PQA is done on the same day, which is why it takes a long time. It's computer administered but very long. If it's similar to ones I'm aware of, then it's upwards of 300 questions long, though someone who has done the JMP version can confirm.

A1

Rookie Doc

Yes the PQA + MSA(MMI) are done on the same day and I remember someone saying they had to be at least half-day there, but maybe I stand corrected on this as just found this post one was given 1pm another 2.50pm > Interview offers & dates 2016-17

This link Personal Qualities Assessment gives a rough idea of the PQA. The MSA I think the format is pretty much like other MMIs.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Yes the PQA + MSA(MMI) are done on the same day and I remember someone saying they had to be at least half-day there, but maybe I stand corrected on this as just found this post one was given 1pm another 2.50pm > Interview offers & dates 2016-17

This link Personal Qualities Assessment gives a rough idea of the PQA. The MSA I think the format is pretty much like other MMIs.

IIRC, LBoG indicated she was at JMP on her interview day for 5 hours all up.

Q3

Ok so I am presuming there will be lunch breaks etc. How do interviews work in terms of where people leave their bags and stuff? Is it a good idea to bring a pen and paper with you? And does the PQA have a time limit? I'm presuming since the PQA and interview are on the same days then your performance in the PQA won't affect your ability to be interviewed.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Ok so I am presuming there will be lunch breaks etc. How do interviews work in terms of where people leave their bags and stuff? Is it a good idea to bring a pen and paper with you? And does the PQA have a time limit? I'm presuming since the PQA and interview are on the same days then your performance in the PQA won't affect your ability to be interviewed.

The PQAs I've done in the past for various job applications have been a (tedious) piece of cake and absolutely should not impact your ability to participate in the MMI. And you might be in a group that does the MMI first, so the reverse is also true.

I've not done a JMP interview previously, but I highly suspect all the answers to your logistics questions will be included in your invite email, should you receive one.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
With regard to Western Sydney University: confirmation of application emails were distributed today. If you believe you completed a WSU online application, but did not receive a confirmation email today, it might be worth contacting them on Monday to double check.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
The PQA at the JMP is not a time-limited test - unlike the UMAT. Way more time is allocated towards it than is required.

It's also very unlike the UMAT - more like a personality test where there are no right or wrong answers. It's been a while since I did it, but I wouldn't expect that it's changed much in principle. The JMP finally succeeded in a test that isn't preparable in the sense that it needs no preparation whatsoever.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
The PQA at the JMP is not a time-limited test - unlike the UMAT. Way more time is allocated towards it than is required.

It's also very unlike the UMAT - more like a personality test where there are no right or wrong answers. It's been a while since I did it, but I wouldn't expect that it's changed much in principle. The JMP finally succeeded in a test that isn't preparable in the sense that it needs no preparation whatsoever.

Yes, variants of this type of assessment I've seen and completed previously are questions like:

I enjoy spontaneous activities: strongly agree/agree/neutral/disagree/strongly disagree

x 300+ more of varying topics and persuasions. There is literally zero preparation required. I say this emphatically, and I am not generally a person who doesn't prepare (see: UMAT).

A1

Rookie Doc
It's also very unlike the UMAT - more like a personality test where there are no right or wrong answers.

Yes, variants of this type of assessment I've seen and completed previously are questions like:
I enjoy spontaneous activities: strongly agree/agree/neutral/disagree/strongly disagree

Maybe no right or wrong answers in the absolute sense but for JMP selection purposes there must be more right or less right answers. Otherwise it's just a survey and does not differentiate applicants into higher/lower (or pass/fail) suitability ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.