Drelza

Lurker
Overall UMAT Score: 183
Section One: 64
Section Two: 65
Section Three: 54
Overall Percentile Rank: 93
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 98.90
Preferred University: UNSW, WSU, JMP, UTAS, Curtin, Western Australia (in that order)
Course Type: Medicine
Application type: Non-standard
State: NSW
Rural: no
ATSI: no
GWS: no
Other Bonuses: no

Question/s:
What are my chances of getting an interview for those universities? I really want WSU.
What GPA/ WAM would I realistically need for UNSW?
Is there any hope ahahah

Last edited by a moderator:

A1

Rookie Doc
I'd really like to go to UTas because I have family in Hobart and I'm just wondering what are my chances of getting a place at UTas with my results? I've heard that it's rare for an interstate applicant to get an offer with a 96th percentile UMAT score so I'm a bit worried

This guy got UTas with 96%ile in 2015 > 2016 place offers - Med all unis

There's also one non-rural with 96%ile last year so it seems you are right on the cutoff, hopefully your high S2 will be used as tiebreaker in your favour.

A1

Rookie Doc
Overall UMAT Score: 183
Section One: 64
Section Two: 65
Section Three: 54
Overall Percentile Rank: 93
Estimated ATAR/GPA:98.90
Preferred University: UNSW, WSU, JMP, UTAS, Curtain, Western Australia (in that order)
Course Type:
Medicine
Application type: Non-standard
Other Bonuses: no

Question/s:
What are my chances of getting an interview for those universities? I really want WSU.
What GPA/ WAM would I realistically need for UNSW?
Is there any hope ahahah

Have you completed a degree? If not you are not eligible for Curtin for misspelling its name ;)
Neither for UWA as it doesn't accept nonstandard applicants.

Looks like your UMAT isn't quite enough for UTAS, but you should definitely get a JMP interview and likely a WSU interview.

For UNSW, 93%ile needs mid 98s to scrape an interview. GPA needs to be high 5s to 6.0 to not drop your 98.9 ATAR, but you'd want higher than 6.0 to have a reasonable admission chance.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
This guy got UTas with 96%ile in 2015 > 2016 place offers - Med all unis

There's also one non-rural with 96%ile last year so it seems you are right on the cutoff, hopefully your high S2 will be used as tiebreaker in your favour.

We don't think S2 is used as a tie breaker, as such. The way offers went out last year, it seemed that for non-standards and non-rural school leavers (the only groups where this is as issue), applications only move forward if you've met the 50/60/50 threshold. Then everyone, regardless of exact S2 score, is offerd down the list according to total UMAT raw score.

So someone with 61/73/64=198 is worse off than 65/69/65=199.

I guess, if it came down to it, 61/73/64=198 might beat out 65/68/65=198 (unless they use GPA/ATAR for this). But given they took about 5 people total, non-standard, and presumably similar for non-rural interstate school leavers given the overall offer numbers, it seems a pretty unlikely scenario.

Last edited:

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
It seems that, at least for non-standard entry, focus on improvement should be geared towards Sections 1 and 2, and less so for Section 3.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
It seems that, at least for non-standard entry, focus on improvement should be geared towards Sections 1 and 2, and less so for Section 3.

Except... S3 is by far the easiest category to improve upon. A bit of TLDR: last year I got a %ile rank of 92 (183). Not a bad score, but a fair way off the lowest UTAS offer at 96th %ile (189).

In the hindsight that comes with experience (last year was also my first year of sitting UMAT), I realised two things let me down. Poor time management and faffing about second guessing myself in S2. The S2 thing was easy (ish) to address. Pick an answer, stick to it, move on. Bam bam bam. My score went from 66 to 73 despite spending 20 minutes LESS on the section during the exam when compared to last year. While this obviously helped a bit with time management, the most effective time management technique I found was practicing S3, getting proficient at recognising patterns, eliminating options, and identifying answers. This meant I could do some S3 questions in as little as 10 seconds. I could also more readily recognise questions I knew I'd only waste time on, so I'd eliminate the obvious non-answer/s, then make an educated guess and move on.

The flow on effect of both of these strategies was: I had 30-40 minutes extra to devote to section 1. It also meant I finished the whole exam, which I did not come close to doing last year. I also improved my %ile rank to 98 (198). There's little evidence to show that you can make big improvements in S1 or S2 unless you were really screwing something up. So practicing S1 questions will be useful to get a feel for them, but the best thing for improving S1 scores has got to be having adequate time to read all the questions.

S3 practice buys you that time.

IMO. :D

ETA: Any further discussion on this topic can go here: Pre-UMAT 2018 Discussion Thread

Last edited:

bdonoghoe

Lurker
Overall UMAT Score: 182
Section One: 59
Section Two: 60
Section Three: 62
Overall Percentile Rank: 92
Estimated ATAR/GPA: ATAR > 99.3
Preferred University: JMP (but truly anywhere in Australia that'll take me)
Application type: school-leaver
Rural: No
ATSI: No
GWS: No
Other Bonuses: No

Question: Just wondering chances for JMP interview or literally any other Medicine course in Aus (I've applied everywhere, bonded and unbonded) but live 15mins from UON so its my preferred course

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Overall UMAT Score: 182
Overall Percentile Rank: 92
Estimated ATAR/GPA: ATAR > 99.3
Preferred University: JMP (but truly anywhere in Australia that'll take me)
Application type: school-leaver
Rural: No
ATSI: No
GWS: No
Other Bonuses: No

Question: Just wondering chances for JMP interview or literally any other Medicine course in Aus (I've applied everywhere, bonded and unbonded) but live 15mins from UON so its my preferred course

Unfortunately, JMP have a S1 cut off that tends to be 60 for non-rural applicants. It's not hard and fast but you might just miss out. You'll know next week most likely, as I suspect that's when they'll release interview invites.

JCU, UAdel, UNSW, Curtin, Monash, UQ (bonded provisional), and UWA might all be interested in you however. Best of luck.

SA3221

Lurker
Overall UMAT Score: 178
Section Two: 58
Section Three: 61
Overall Percentile Rank: 89
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 99.8+
Preferred University: UNSW, Monash, or Adelaide. Also applied Griffith, Adelaide, Curtin, UWA, UQ, Flinders, JCU, WSU and Dentistry at USYD, UQ, Adelaide, UWA
Course Type: (Medicine/Dentistry/both) Both (indicated acceptance of a bonded position wherever possible)
Application type: (school leaver, gap year, non-standard) School leaver
State: (the Australian state you live in, this is relevant for some courses) NSW
Rural: (yes/no) No
ATSI: (yes/no) No
GWS: (yes/no) Yes
Other Bonuses: (yes/no) None

Question/s: (optional. Please be as specific as possible) Do I have a chance at UNSW, Adelaide or 2nd round Monash if not anywhere else? I heard Adelaide only has 1 interview round this year with around 800 interviews instead of 2 rounds (and that the SA bonus got removed) so does this mean there will be no or minimal interview invites based on ATAR+UMAT?
Thank you!

A1

Rookie Doc
Section Three: 61
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 99.8+
Preferred University: UNSW, Monash, or Adelaide. Also applied Griffith, Adelaide, Curtin, UWA, UQ, Flinders, JCU, WSU and Dentistry at USYD, UQ, Adelaide, UWA
Course Type: (Medicine/Dentistry/both) Both (indicated acceptance of a bonded position wherever possible)
Application type: (school leaver, gap year, non-standard) School leaver
State: (the Australian state you live in, this is relevant for some courses) NSW
Rural: (yes/no) No
ATSI: (yes/no) No
GWS: (yes/no) Yes
Other Bonuses: (yes/no) None

Question/s: (optional. Please be as specific as possible) Do I have a chance at UNSW, Adelaide or 2nd round Monash if not anywhere else? I heard Adelaide only has 1 interview round this year with around 800 interviews instead of 2 rounds (and that the SA bonus got removed) so does this mean there will be no or minimal interview invites based on ATAR+UMAT?
Thank you!

I can't help much with Dent. For Med:
- Low to no chance: UQ, JMP, WSU
- Borderline for place offers: Flinders & Griffith
- Borderline for interviews: Adelaide, Monash (since you are interstate)
- Practically assured for interviews: UNSW, UWA, Curtin

Adel says in its 2018 Guide there won't be a 2nd ATAR+UMAT interview round. Their 1st round invites are rolled out before ATAR releases and they have not asked for Predicted ATAR so won't be based on ATAR+UMAT either.

Mel99

Overall UMAT Score: 196
Section One: 70
Section Three: 66
Overall Percentile Rank: 98
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 95-97
Preferred University: UNSW
Course Type:
Medicine
Application type: school leaver
Other Bonuses: EAS

Whilst I prefer to stay in NSW, I will take any offer. I have applied to UNSW, UWS, JMP, Adelaide, Monash, UTAS, Curtin, JCU, Flinders & UQ (likely to get 3-5 bonus points). I have received an interview offer from UWS, I don't believe any other offers have been sent out yet. What are my chances at all of these unis?

Also, does anyone know if UWS gives EAS bonus points for medicine?

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
Overall UMAT Score: 196
Section One: 70
Section Three: 66
Overall Percentile Rank: 98
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 95-97
Preferred University: UNSW
Course Type:
Medicine
Application type: school leaver
Other Bonuses: EAS

Whilst I prefer to stay in NSW, I will take any offer. I have applied to UNSW, UWS, JMP, Adelaide, Monash, UTAS, Curtin, JCU, Flinders & UQ (likely to get 3-5 bonus points). I have received an interview offer from UWS, I don't believe any other offers have been sent out yet. What are my chances at all of these unis?

Also, does anyone know if UWS gives EAS bonus points for medicine?

I don't know how much EAS bonuses apply other than at UQ so these are without considering EAS

- High chances for place offers : UQ if you make Rank 99, and UTAS
- High chances for interview : WSU (then 1 in 3 chance), JMP (1 in 4), Adelaide (probs 1 in 10 due to low ATAR)
- Some chance for interview : JCU, Curtin
- Practically no chance : UNSW (96-97.0 needs >99%ile), Monash, Flinders

Adva7011

JMP - UNE 2018-22
Section Two: 56
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 96.15/6.5
Preferred University: JMP, but also applied to UNSW, UWS and JCU
Application type: non-standard
Rural: yes
Other Bonuses: none

I'm close to finishing my first year of Medical Science at usyd, and haven't received any interview offers yet. Since I'm a rural applicant, do I stand a chance of getting an interview for JMP? Or any of the others I've applied to?

Last edited by a moderator:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Section One:
Section Two: 56
Estimated ATAR/GPA: 96.15/6.5
Preferred University: JMP, but also applied to UNSW, UWS and JCU
Application type: non-standard
Rural: yes
Other Bonuses: none

I'm close to finishing my first year of Medical Science at usyd, and haven't received any interview offers yet. Since I'm a rural applicant, do I stand a chance of getting an interview for JMP? Or any of the others I've applied to?

Yes, you're definitely a chance for a JMP interview! Absolutely. 115 might not quite make it for a WSU interview. Being rural will also help you with a UNSW interview. Your GPA will probably pull your ATAR up a little more, too. JCU will depend on the strength of your written application, but your GPA is competitive.

Tommane

Lurker
Overall UMAT Score: 155
Section One: 61
Section Two: 48
Section Three: 47
Overall Percentile Rank: 59
Estimated ATAR: 98-99
Preferred University: UTAS
Application type: School Leaver
State: TAS
Rural: yes (RA3/RA2)
Other Bonuses: Applied for rural application process

How am I looking for a spot in UTAS Medicine for 2018 as a Tassie school leaver?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Overall UMAT Score: 155
Section One: 61
Section Two: 48
Section Three: 47
Overall Percentile Rank: 59
Estimated ATAR: 98-99
Preferred University: UTAS
State: TAS
Rural: yes (RA3/RA2)
Other Bonuses: Applied for rural application process

How am I looking for a spot in UTAS Medicine for 2018 as a Tassie school leaver?

Firstly (selfishly on behalf of MSO!), there is so very little known about UTAS for local school leavers, so whatever ends up happening for you, we would VERY MUCH appreciate you letting us know!

Secondly, I suspect you're probably fine for a place. Scores below 50 don't seem to be an issue for students accepted via the RAP, your overall score is above 150, and your ATAR is great. There is the possibility that your written application is the biggest factor (this seemed to be the case last year for rural applicants) and it's really difficult to judge those, but assuming you have a strong application, then your chances are probably pretty good.

The extra difficult thing here is that the vast majority of applicants from Tasmania are going to be RAP eligible, so we're not sure how much of a benefit that actually lends you when competing with other school leavers from Tassie (which is the 'pool' that you're in). Sorry I couldn't be more definitive, but you've certainly set yourself up with a decent chance.

Hopefully I'll see you there next year :D

Tommane

Lurker
Firstly (selfishly on behalf of MSO!), there is so very little known about UTAS for local school leavers, so whatever ends up happening for you, we would VERY MUCH appreciate you letting us know!

Secondly, I suspect you're probably fine for a place. Scores below 50 don't seem to be an issue for students accepted via the RAP, your overall score is above 150, and your ATAR is great. There is the possibility that your written application is the biggest factor (this seemed to be the case last year for rural applicants) and it's really difficult to judge those, but assuming you have a strong application, then your chances are probably pretty good.

The extra difficult thing here is that the vast majority of applicants from Tasmania are going to be RAP eligible, so we're not sure how much of a benefit that actually lends you when competing with other school leavers from Tassie (which is the 'pool' that you're in). Sorry I couldn't be more definitive, but you've certainly set yourself up with a decent chance.

Hopefully I'll see you there next year :D

Okay thanks for the reply, will update when results come out :D

cc000

Overall UMAT Score: 180
Section One: 63
Section Three: 59
Overall Percentile Rank: 91
Estimated ATAR: 98+
Preferred University: UQ, applied to Griffith, USYD, UNSW and Newcastle/Armidale too
Rural: RA2
Other Bonuses: up to 4 bonus points at UQ: Maths C and rural access scheme

Just wondering what my chances are of getting an offer an any of these uni's!