Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

What are my chances?

jiaxing

Hey everyone,

I'm currently studying a Masters degree from Western Sydney University, and I want to do Dentistry in 2019. So, I was wondering if you guys can provide me with some insight as to what my chances are for Dentistry. My results are as follows:

ATAR: 96.80.
GPA of Masters degree: 6.714.
GPA of undergraduate degree: 5.125.
UMAT: Sitting it next year.

I'm looking at applying to all universities, particularly Griffith and JCU.

So, can anybody please give me some insight?

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Hi :) Can't help ya with the numbers in particular, but JCU also has a written application. I feel like if you nail that, you'd have a good chance. I know that a 7 guarantees entry at Griffith. Neither Griffith nor JCU use UMAT.

A very good UMAT could land you a place at UQ, and an interview at CSU and an interview at UAdel (where Interview + UMAT counts more than ATAR/GPA).

Your Master's GPA alone (if used instead of your ATAR) may be good enough for LaTrobe, but I'm unsure as to whether La Trobe will use your undergraduate GPA too.

MSO is not traditionally well-versed in previous Dent applications, particularly post-graduate applicants.

Have you tried PagingDr? Are you thinking about sitting the GAMSAT?

EtA: For further information, refer to this: 2017-18 Dent schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

DDest

UAdel BDS III
Hello!

Just adding to acbard9 excellent information, for the UQ it depends if your Masters was by Coursework or Research.

For a Coursework Masters, then the maximum entry rank is 97 (which is still not enough for UQ).

In 2016, the initial interview offer rounds for UAdel required a UMAT score of at least 92/93 percentile. (See the thread here: Adelaide Dentistry Entry 2017)

In regards to a post-graduate course such as the Doctor of Dental Medicine at UWA and USYD or the Doctor of Dental Surgery at UMELB, the offers for 2018 entry have just been released.

Note that the UMELB and USYD courses have a biology prerequisite, while UWA does not.

For UWA:
GPA | GAMSAT | Type of Offer
6.79 | 65 | CSP
5.90 | 65 | CSP <- I believe that there may have been a typo in the GPA. The DMD course at UWA has been especially competitive this year due to the introduction of a medical science degree, available only to school leavers, which grants them direct entry into the second year of the DMD course, thereby decreasing the cohort entry size for the following years.

For USYD:
6.54 | 62 | CSP
6.98 | 71 | CSP
6.19 | 70 | CSP
6.00 | 66 | CSP
6.15 | 64 | CSP
6.84 | 76 | CSP
6.03 | 62 | FFP
6.50 | 66 | CSP

For UMELB:
6.95 | 70 | FFP
6.80 | 69 | CSP
6.83 | 73 | CSP
6.20 | 66 | FFP
6.72 | 63 | FFP
6.53 | 67 | FFP
6.31 | 63 | FFP
6.96 | 64 | FFP
6.66 | 64 | FFP
6.41 | 63 | FFP
6.50 | 62 | FFP

* Data collated on 3rd November 2017 from PagingDr: pagingdr. net/forum/index.php?topic=8446.0

Hope this can help you in your decisions!

Good luck!

kjz

Hello!

Just adding to acbard9 excellent information, for the UQ it depends if your Masters was by Coursework or Research.

For a Coursework Masters, then the maximum entry rank is 97 (which is still not enough for UQ).

In 2016, the initial interview offer rounds for UAdel required a UMAT score of at least 92/93 percentile. (See the thread here: Adelaide Dentistry Entry 2017)

In regards to a post-graduate course such as the Doctor of Dental Medicine at UWA and USYD or the Doctor of Dental Surgery at UMELB, the offers for 2018 entry have just been released.

Note that the UMELB and USYD courses have a biology prerequisite, while UWA does not.

For UWA:
6.79 | 65 | CSP
5.90 | 65 | CSP <- I believe that there may have been a typo in the GPA. The DMD course at UWA has been especially competitive this year due to the introduction of a medical science degree, available only to school leavers, which grants them direct entry into the second year of the DMD course, thereby decreasing the cohort entry size for the following years.

For USYD:
6.54 | 62 | CSP
6.98 | 71 | CSP
6.19 | 70 | CSP
6.00 | 66 | CSP
6.15 | 64 | CSP
6.84 | 76 | CSP
6.03 | 62 | FFP
6.50 | 66 | CSP

For UMELB:
6.95 | 70 | FFP
6.80 | 69 | CSP
6.83 | 73 | CSP
6.20 | 66 | FFP
6.72 | 63 | FFP
6.53 | 67 | FFP
6.31 | 63 | FFP
6.96 | 64 | FFP
6.66 | 64 | FFP
6.41 | 63 | FFP
6.50 | 62 | FFP

* Data collated on 3rd November 2017 from PagingDr: pagingdr. net/forum/index.php?topic=8446.0

Hope this can help you in your decisions!

Good luck!

For UMELB why 6.95 | 70 | FFP, but 6.80 | 69 | CSP and 6.83 | 73 | CSP? Doesn't make sense.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
For UMelb, there are no interviews :).

In that case (more guesses), international vs domestic/rural vs non-rural/written application?/typo/there's another factor in play at UMelb besides GPA and GAMSAT.

Typo is definitely not out of the question. We get people correcting posted info here on the regular.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
For UMELB why 6.95 | 70 | FFP, but 6.80 | 69 | CSP and 6.83 | 73 | CSP? Doesn't make sense.

Because I like to get to the bottom of things:

I've just looked through the other posts made by the person with the 6.80/69/CSP combo. In another post they state they got a FFP UMelb offer, and a CSP UQ offer and they can't decide which to take because they have family in Melb, but UQ is CSP.

Can therefore conclude typo for one of those (as I suspected, to be honest). I shall now dig re. the other reported CSP.

ETA: the other person has only made 2 PD posts in total, one to report their Dentistry offer, and one to report a Medicine CSP. I'm therefore thinking either the 3 GAMSAT points makes a difference OR typo with the reported CSP a hangover from their Med offer OR a GPA typo or incorrect calculation (the form itself does request "GPA or best guess" after all...).

Last edited:

kjz

Because I like to get to the bottom of things:

I've just looked through the other posts made by the person with the 6.80/69/CSP combo. In another post they state they got a FFP UMelb offer, and a CSP UQ offer and they can't decide which to take because they have family in Melb, but UQ is CSP.

Can therefore conclude typo for one of those (as I suspected, to be honest). I shall now dig re. the other reported CSP.

ETA: the other person has only made 2 PD posts in total, one to report their Dentistry offer, and one to report a Medicine CSP. I'm therefore thinking either the 3 GAMSAT points makes a difference OR typo with the reported CSP a hangover from their Med offer OR a GPA typo or incorrect calculation (the form itself does request "GPA or best guess" after all...).

Yes, they may mix up med with dent. UQ only med needs GAMSAT but not for dent because it is an undergrad course.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Yes, they may mix up med with dent. UQ only med needs GAMSAT but not for dent because it is an undergrad course.

To be fair to the OPs, the forms are standard as authored by a PD user, and whether Med or Dent (and regardless of Uni), GAMSAT score is requested, so posting GAMSAT in itself is not indicative of a mix up.

jiaxing

Hey everyone,

I called QTAC regarding the ranking of applicants. QTAC informed me that any applicant with a GPA of 6.5+ is ranked 99 on a 1-99 scale.

I understand the ranking system, however, does Griffith University personally examine the GPA’s, or does Griffith University only go according to QTAC’s ranks? For instance, I have a GPA of 6.714 from my Masters degree, therefore, I have a QTAC rank of 99. However, someone with a GPA of 6.5 also has a QTAC rank off 99, and someone with a GPA of 6.9 also has a QTAC rank of 99. So, how would Griffith University differentiate between the pool of applicants in this case?

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Did QTAC confirm whether they will only use your Master's GPA, and not your undergrad GPA as well? I just always assumed that Griffith uses exact GPA, since they don't look at UMAT (...right?). They couldn't possibly take every QTAC rank 99 person haha.

It could be best to ask Griffith directly, and let us know what they say!

jiaxing

Did QTAC confirm whether they will only use your Master's GPA, and not your undergrad GPA as well? I just always assumed that Griffith uses exact GPA, since they don't look at UMAT (...right?). They couldn't possibly take every QTAC rank 99 person haha.

It could be best to ask Griffith directly, and let us know what they say!

QTAC said anyone with a GPA of 6.5+ has a rank of 99. Then, I asked that is a person with GPA 6.9 ranked the same as a person with GPA of 6.6, and they said yes since both have a GPA of 6.5+. But I feel that’s dodgy for obvious reasons lol. I’ve emailed the School of Dentistry at Griffith. But, can anybody help me out here? I really want to do dentistry at Griffith or JCU!!

A1

Rookie Doc
QTAC said anyone with a GPA of 6.5+ has a rank of 99. Then, I asked that is a person with GPA 6.9 ranked the same as a person with GPA of 6.6, and they said yes since both have a GPA of 6.5+. But I feel that’s dodgy for obvious reasons lol. I’ve emailed the School of Dentistry at Griffith. But, can anybody help me out here? I really want to do dentistry at Griffith or JCU!!

I'm not surprised QTAC gave you that answer. QTAC processes the applications for Griffith, their role on that matter is to assess if you meet the eligibility criteria of OP1/Rank 99. It's Griffith who does the actual selection and works out what the GPA cutoff is, the same as for school leavers with same OP1/Rank 99 eligibility but cutoff is way up 99.8 for Med 99.6 for Dent.

jiaxing

I'm not surprised QTAC gave you that answer. QTAC processes the applications for Griffith, their role on that matter is to assess if you meet the eligibility criteria of OP1/Rank 99. It's Griffith who does the actual selection and works out what the GPA cutoff is, the same as for school leavers with same OP1/Rank 99 eligibility but cutoff is way up 99.8 for Med 99.6 for Dent.

Thanks, A1, that clears things up for me! I have a GPA of 6.714 for my current Master's degree, and I was told by email from one of the School of Dentistry people that the cutoff for last year was 6.7. Would you happen to know if any of your friends/relatives got admission in Dentistry in any uni, and what sort of marks they had?

Really appreciate it, A1!

A1

Rookie Doc
Thanks, A1, that clears things up for me! I have a GPA of 6.714 for my current Master's degree, and I was told by email from one of the School of Dentistry people that the cutoff for last year was 6.7. Would you happen to know if any of your friends/relatives got admission in Dentistry in any uni, and what sort of marks they had?

You can see in this thread GPA cutoff has been 6.7-6.75 > anyone got into Griffith Dent in 2015 or 2014 with GPA lower than 7.0?

But in your case there's the additional concern of Master vs Bachelor, will Griffith use the Master's GPA by itself or will combine with 1 or 2 Bachelor years to make it a 3-year GPA. You should check with Griffith first to avoid unwanted surprise later.

lillysayse

MBBS III
Be weary with what qtac has told you your GPA is for jcu. When I phoned they went through my qualifications and listed what they had calculated as the atar equivalent for each qualification. They then said overall they've deemed mine
to be 99.95.

I was skeptical and phoned jcu and basically jcu can override their calculations as they are interested in your most recent qualification. In other words, I have no idea what my atar is.

Also, jcu basically said they are interested in the written application at this stage. It seems like that's the main thing, grades seem almost irrelevant right now.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
You can see in this thread GPA cutoff has been 6.7-6.75 > anyone got into Griffith Dent in 2015 or 2014 with GPA lower than 7.0?

But in your case there's the additional concern of Master vs Bachelor, will Griffith use the Master's GPA by itself or will combine with 1 or 2 Bachelor years to make it a 3-year GPA. You should check with Griffith first to avoid unwanted surprise later.

Can confirm that for Med (note: Med) via GAMSAT, Griffiths and UQ (and UWA) use just postgrad for GPA if you have postgrad qualifications. Whether that's the same for Dent, I don't know... but maybe chances are good?

lillysayse

MBBS III
Can confirm that for Med (note: Med) via GAMSAT, Griffiths and UQ (and UWA) use just postgrad for GPA if you have postgrad qualifications. Whether that's the same for Dent, I don't know... but maybe chances are good?

Are you sure that's true for UWA? I thought UWA uses the last 144 points of study (3 years).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Are you sure that's true for UWA? I thought UWA uses the last 144 points of study (3 years).

Well, when I was investigating this (as my undergrad GPA is rubbish for Med), they confirmed via email they'd only use my postgrad. I might still have the email, but I'd have to search because I asked in about March when I was contemplating grad Med (and then tried a practice GAMSAT and realised lol no!).

ETA: that said, hmm, I have more than a masters so maybe that was the reason?