Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS Applicant Support Group

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
All undergraduate medicine universities other than Adelaide and Monash allow non-standards to apply (so thats UTas, Curtin, UWS, UNSW, JCU, JMP, and Bond).

Crap, I always forget about these two!!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Just a few questions, with UTAS, do they give any advantage to those non standard students that studied in 'more' prestigious universities or degrees in repatuon to the GPA?

Can absolutely confirm that no preference is given to Go8 universities (nor should there be!). Can also pretty much state that there is no preference given to non-standard students of any kind or in any way (ie SES, rural status, type of degree studied, level of degree studied). The only possible exception to this is ATSI applicants, but we haven't actually had any non-standard ATSI applicants here at MSO speak on the subject or provide any of their experiences so, we're not sure.

Other than that though, interstate, local, rural, non-rural, one year of tertiary study, a PhD, we are all in together! Once we reach the 6.0 GPA, it all comes down to UMAT (hence the crazy high cut-off last year).

NOTE: 'non-standard' at UTAS means anyone who is a non-school leaver and is NOT studying the Bachelor of Medical Research AT UTAS. UTAS BMedRes students are in a different pool. BMedRes students at OTHER universities are in the non-standard pool.

A1

Rookie Doc
I can. I suspect I'll be confirming what we already know: that it is

I thought there was a case last year a rural got an offer with quite low like sub 60%ile while others higher were still in limbo. And we said it could be thanks to his 98 ATAR, thus not a hurdle?

Also chipping in that Curtin non-standard is only for grads. Pre-grad is only open to Curtin students like Adelaide.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I thought there was a case last year a rural got an offer with quite low like sub 60%ile while others higher were still in limbo. And we said it could be thanks to his 98 ATAR, thus not a hurdle?

Nope, not that I know of, @A1. All the rural interstate kids (we didn't have any locals) here at MSO got conditional first round offers in late November. This included one with UMAT 58 and one with UMAT 95 or 97 (among others). Both received the same email, that their offers would be locked in once their ATARs were released and confirmed as above 95.0. And this ended up being exactly what happened, only the person with the higher UMAT also got offers elsewhere.

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
I won't let UTas off easily haha. Its FAQ says (or at least used to) ATAR minimum 95 but likely higher is required to be competitive. That's the standard saying when it's not hurdle. Can you please ask at the Open day why UTas enjoys contradicting itself? :D

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I won't let UTas off easily haha. Its FAQ says (or at least used to) ATAR minimum 95 but likely higher is required to be competitive. That's the standard saying when it's not hurdle. Can you please ask at the Open day why UTas enjoys contradicting itself? :D

The Dean of Med explained the intended meaning of this claim/statement at open day last year, but I'll ask again. He said: (paraphrased) that 95.0 is a hurdle but that because it's such a competitive degree (!), it just so happens that most of the people who end up being successful have ATARs higher than that, the presumption I guess being that people with the more competitive UMATs tend to have an ATAR slightly above 95.0 in the washout.

We had some people who got conditional offers publish the wording of their conditional offer emails in the forum last year, I think. IIRC, it definitely indicated they just needed to meet the 95.0 hurdle.

For non-rural school leavers, as so few are accepted, the UMAT score required tends to be 100th%ile. It barely comes down to ATAR at all.

The same goes for non-standards. The UMAT required is super high with GPA largely meaningless after 6.0.

The complicating factor for figuring out UTAS is the government agreement for local school leavers (though ATAR 95+ still stands), and the RAP application. We have ZERO clues as to how the written application is scored.

The person with UMAT 58 got a conditional offer that required confirmation of actual ATAR at 95+ (ended up being 98.0), but we have no idea if their UMAT score was looked at at all or if it just came down to their RAP written responses. This is what I'm hoping to get clarity on today, but I won't be holding my breath!!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
It turns out I can't attend the Studying Med presentation at the Sandy Bay campus, but I'm heading to the Med Sciences precinct in the city now for their 10.40 open day thing.

If someone else goes to the Studying Med presentation, please feel free to report back here afterwards :)

And if you're at the Med precinct at 10.40, come say hi!! (I'll be the mature aged student asking all the questions I think MSO might find useful ;))

alexwilko

Hey guys, on the UTAS application it wants transcripts of my HSC and firs year of university... is that just the document stating my ATAR and first semester university grades?

Also where it says general application documents can we upload a character reference of nah?
also what is the permission slip in that section

UTAS application is kinda confusing me
Thanks

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey guys, on the UTAS application it wants transcripts of my HSC and firs year of university... is that just the document stating my ATAR and first semester university grades?

Also where it says general application documents can we upload a character reference of nah?
also what is the permission slip in that section

UTAS application is kinda confusing me
Thanks

Hello!

You only need to upload transcripts if you're applying using a degree that wasn't completed in an Australian school/university. If you have an international high school certificate or degree or a TAFE certificate, you need to upload transcripts of those. This is actually made pretty clear in the application.

With regard to general application documents, some degrees require a CV or a personal statement that is used as part of the selection process. MBBS does not. You can upload a character reference if you want, but it won't be of any use.

I'm not sure what the permission slip is referring to, but considering the other documents listed in that section (Change of Name forms, Disability forms), I feel like you'd know what a Permission Slip is if you had one.

alexwilko

Hello!

You only need to upload transcripts if you're applying using a degree that wasn't completed in an Australian school/university. If you have an international high school certificate or degree or a TAFE certificate, you need to upload transcripts of those. This is actually made pretty clear in the application.

With regard to general application documents, some degrees require a CV or a personal statement that is used as part of the selection process. MBBS does not. You can upload a character reference if you want, but it won't be of any use.

I'm not sure what the permission slip is referring to, but considering the other documents listed in that section (Change of Name forms, Disability forms), I feel like you'd know what a Permission Slip is if you had one.
Thank you :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey all,

I found the following old thread for UTAS that may be of use. :)

[Undergrad] - University of Tasmania Non-standard Entry 2012

Unfortunately that information is now pretty obsolete and may even give false hope :(

With the introduction of the guaranteed entry pathway via BMedRes and then the move to having these graduates start in first year and not second, the landscape for current non-standard applicants looks quite different than for those from 2012. A friend of mine got an offer in 2012 with a UMAT of 69. Last year, the lowest non-standard offer was 96 and all indications are things will be similar this year.

How's everyone coping with the interminable waiting??!

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi,

Do we have a better idea of what UTAS planning on doing this time in terms of release dates and such?

C

Cookie

At what time did UTAS release conditional offers last year on the 28 Nov? Was it in the morning or afternoon?

L

Logic

Good luck! I hope they actually give you a sounds answer.
And so it starts. I wish you well, intrepid traveller (pls report back!)
Ok, no idea if the guy knew what i was talking about but he said "With the medicine offers, they aren't coming out till mid-january" so not sure if he meant for everyone or a certain group.