Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Entry 2017 Chat/Enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aggie

I feel ya! I have an Honours project sorted out in Otago, but after working as a Researcher this summer it's not really want I want to do as a career. Will just keep my options open and maybe apply again next year

This is going to be the longest month of waiting of our lives :mad:

- Two posts merged -

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel ya! I have an Honours project sorted out in Otago, but after working as a Researcher this summer it's not really want I want to do as a career. Will just keep my options open and maybe apply again next year

This is going to be the longest month of waiting of our lives :mad:

- Two posts merged -

Are you currently doing a summer research project at UoA or UoO? I'm not 100% set on a particular topic and so I don't really wanna do honours unless I have a passion for a topic :/ And plus, if I do consider post-grad studies, I think I might go for Masters instead to gain a greater depth of experience and skills; personally I feel that honours is too rushed, though I do have the GPA threshold to do it. My Plan B is to take a gap year and see where I go from there.

Is this your first time applying for UoA or 2nd?

Aggie

Are you currently doing a summer research project at UoA or UoO? I'm not 100% set on a particular topic and so I don't really wanna do honours unless I have a passion for a topic :/ And plus, if I do consider post-grad studies, I think I might go for Masters instead to gain a greater depth of experience and skills; personally I feel that honours is too rushed, though I do have the GPA threshold to do it. My Plan B is to take a gap year and see where I go from there.

Is this your first time applying for UoA or 2nd?

I took a gap year after a first year and definitely would recommend it! Made me realize what I wanted to do and also made me super excited for studying again. I'm doing a research project for a company in Dunedin, so its cool to see what research is like outside of the University- lot of bureaucracy and fighting for funding, but also pretty fun as its pretty hands on.
I have my Honours sorted in a field and with a supervisor I really like, if I didn't get accepted into med or get the project I like I wouldn't bother because 1. I wouldn't like it and 2. I wouldn't do well. So I also agree with you on that point also! Only go into postgrad if its something you are interested in
This is my first time applying for UoA. Have you applied for Otago as well/ would you consider applying down here in future?

I took a gap year after a first year and definitely would recommend it! Made me realize what I wanted to do and also made me super excited for studying again. I'm doing a research project for a company in Dunedin, so its cool to see what research is like outside of the University- lot of bureaucracy and fighting for funding, but also pretty fun as its pretty hands on.
I have my Honours sorted in a field and with a supervisor I really like, if I didn't get accepted into med or get the project I like I wouldn't bother because 1. I wouldn't like it and 2. I wouldn't do well. So I also agree with you on that point also! Only go into postgrad if its something you are interested in
This is my first time applying for UoA. Have you applied for Otago as well/ would you consider applying down here in future?
Hey Aggie, this may not sound much to you but hearing about ur experience really inspired me! I'm open-minded in the sense that if I don't get it, I want to explore some of my interests. My research project atm is at a slow but steady pace; some experiments aren't working and that's the beauty of research.

What did you do in ur gap year? I need some ideas!

Aggie

Hey Aggie, this may not sound much to you but hearing about ur experience really inspired me! I'm open-minded in the sense that if I don't get it, I want to explore some of my interests. My research project atm is at a slow but steady pace; some experiments aren't working and that's the beauty of research.

What did you do in ur gap year? I need some ideas!

Thats great, we've worked so hard these past few years that its easy to focus solely on this one outcome!
Long story short I went and volunteered at a Vet Clinic in Cambodia that my mums friend runs for a month, then I went travelling in Vietnam by myself/people I met along the way :)
Feel free to message me at any time if you want some proper advice for it!

Last edited:
It sounds like you gained so much experience in your gap year! I'm a total home-body and with doing biomed for 3 years plus summer school in each summer with part-time work has really drained me...so I'm not too keen on travelling since I havent even been at home for these 3 years; I literally go home late at night to sleep and wake up super early for uni. T_T'' Sigh

D

Deleted member 21227

Hey guys :)

Is anyone else still waiting for their VCA references to be contacted?

Hi everyone,

I popped down to the Grafton student center during my break and here are the correct details:
  • All references should have received an email about RSVP by 8th of December; if your reference(s) has not received anything, then email the student center with your name and the email of your reference(s)
  • If your reference(s) don't RSVP by 8th of Dec, its okay because the link to RSVP is currently down and IT are trying to get to getting working. I think they will resend the link once it has been fixed.
  • Referencing "calls" are only made once you receive an offer

Aggie

RRAS: I am eligible for entry under RRAS and I applied with it (got a letter sent from my school etc) but I was just thinking today that I never received confirmation whether I will be considered under RRAS or not. I haven't thought about it because on the Auckland page it says 'you will be contacted and notified if you are not eligible under RRAS'.
Just thought I would check: have other rural people had confirmation about it or not?
Cheers :)

I called UoA ~1 month ago and they said they had received my letter therefore considering me under RRAS entry. If it wasn't for this I wouldn't have known- I wouldn't worry about it.

Jayjay

Not yet, I don't think. I thought they did these after the offers in mid December? Has yours been checked? Jayjay
Mine have been contacted but I believe everyone who sat the MMI has their VCA refs checked by email. One of the above posts seems to have cleared it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.