Quick Questions Thread: 2016 & 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Hi,

Thanks for contributing to MSO Stuart!

Please follow the current posting rules in the future: do not double-post and take topics off-topic, and if so please use off-topic spoilers. This is a thread for quick questions, not quick comments.

This is a post made on behalf of the forum moderators in order to ensure fellow moderators do not flaunt the rules and bring the forum into disrepute. Cheers.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi,

Thanks for contributing to MSO Stuart!

Please follow the current posting rules in the future: do not double-post and take topics off-topic, and if so please use off-topic spoilers. This is a thread for quick questions, not quick comments.

This is a post made on behalf of the forum moderators in order to ensure fellow moderators do not flaunt the rules and bring the forum into disrepute. Cheers.

I apologise for the mistake, pi. I got too excited about the news. I have edited my posts accordingly.

davatte

Hey guys, I've got a question about receiving offers.

If I am offered a rank 5 preference on UAC and have accepted it, will accepting the offer prevent me from receiving further offers in later rounds? Thanks in advance!

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Hey guys, I've got a question about receiving offers.

If I am offered a rank 5 preference on UAC and have accepted it, will accepting the offer prevent me from receiving further offers in later rounds? Thanks in advance!

When you accept an offer on UAC (or any other of those tertiary admissions centres like VTAC etc), then when you receive a preference, it will allow you to select from several options (and I paraphrase here):

1. Accept this offer and include me in any further rounds for higher preferenced offers
2. Accept this offer and EXCLUDE me in any further rounds for higher preferenced offers (not recommended)
3. Decline this offer but include me in any further offer rounds for any preferences on my list (even the lower ones)
4. Decline this offer and EXCLUDE me from any further offer rounds

The above is reasonably self-explanatory.

davatte

When you accept an offer on UAC (or any other of those tertiary admissions centres like VTAC etc), then when you receive a preference, it will allow you to select from several options (and I paraphrase here):

1. Accept this offer and include me in any further rounds for higher preferenced offers
2. Accept this offer and EXCLUDE me in any further rounds for higher preferenced offers (not recommended)
3. Decline this offer but include me in any further offer rounds for any preferences on my list (even the lower ones)
4. Decline this offer and EXCLUDE me from any further offer rounds

The above is reasonably self-explanatory.

Thanks for the quick reply Mana, for my case UAC has directed me directly to the university's website to accept my offer (CSU Dentistry). There are no options for me to include myself in further rounds for higher preferences on the CSU website nor the UAC website, have you heard of anyone else experiencing this before?

[There is a section in the acceptance declaration saying "acceptance of this offer any other course preferences will be cancelled."]

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Thanks for the quick reply Mana, for my case UAC has directed me directly to the university's website to accept my offer (CSU Dentistry). There are no options for me to include myself in further rounds for higher preferences on the CSU website nor the UAC website, have you heard of anyone else experiencing this before?

[There is a section in the acceptance declaration saying "acceptance of this offer any other course preferences will be cancelled."]

That's rather interesting, and arguably a little bit anti-competitive. Do you have a deadline on when you have to accept the offer by?

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

davatte

That's rather interesting, and arguably a little bit anti-competitive. Do you have a deadline on when you have to accept the offer by?

Yeah I'm given til the 13th to decide. Will be contacting the university regarding this to see if they are the ones who submit the response of acceptance to UAC or not. It does feel like a gamble if I don't accept it considering I've only gotten one other interview for Medicine.

A1

Rookie Doc

Based on previous advice that, if someone receives a via-UAC offer for their 1st pref they can accept then move it to a lower pref, they might get another offer for one of the other prefs in 2nd round. That means their other prefs are still valid.

I think the above statement^, if on CSU website, is meant for other CSU prefs only i.e. you will not get another CSU offer but you can get another elsewhere offer via UAC.

Haq94

I just finished my BSc in zoology at Otago and the grades have been pretty horrible over years due to some family tragedies.
I’m going to start a pgdip in 2018 at Otago uni followed by a masters by thesis.
I was reading that Curtin University accepts relevent non-school leavers qualifications namely bachelors degree, diploma for graduates, Postgraduate Diploma and doctorate for admission purposes with a minimum ATAR of 92 (although I don’t really know how you calculate it since I’m from NZ). Does it mean that I don’t have to do a masters and apply on the basis of postgraduate diploma provided my BSc grades don’t get assessed?

A1

Rookie Doc
I just finished my BSc in zoology at Otago and the grades have been pretty horrible over years due to some family tragedies.
I’m going to start a pgdip in 2018 at Otago uni followed by a masters by thesis.
I was reading that Curtin University accepts relevent non-school leavers qualifications namely bachelors degree, diploma for graduates, Postgraduate Diploma and doctorate for admission purposes with a minimum ATAR of 92 (although I don’t really know how you calculate it since I’m from NZ). Does it mean that I don’t have to do a masters and apply on the basis of postgraduate diploma provided my BSc grades don’t get assessed?

Page 4 of this doc gives the grade required for your qualification level > https://courses.curtin.edu.au/local/docs/mbbs-admissions-guide-09052017.pdf

The way it's shown it appears you can apply with a grad/postgrad diploma and the grade is not counted back to your BSc. Note you will need to sit UMAT the year you want to apply.

karenh

For the Adel interview, did you sign the conflict of interest declaration after the interview or before? And who's supposed to witness it?

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff
For the Adel interview, did you sign the conflict of interest declaration after the interview or before? And who's supposed to witness it?
I signed it before and brought it with me to the interview.
I think the people at the front desk are the witnesses- don't worry about that part. They check your paperwork pretty thoroughly so they'll tell you if anything's missing.
Best of luck!

karenh

I signed it before and brought it with me to the interview.
I think the people at the front desk are the witnesses- don't worry about that part. They check your paperwork pretty thoroughly so they'll tell you if anything's missing.
Best of luck!
Thanks so much!

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Hi,

Right underneath "An indicative notional ATAR of 92", there is a table stating that you will require at least Credit Average to be eligible. I think this is a GPA of around 5.5-6 (out of 7).

NDR

Howdy,
So the day has come, i predicted my atar to be 98.5-99 and i was pleasantly surprised to be at the top end of that. However getting 98.95 means i dont quality for UQ, despite my UMAT of 200 being well in range.

Do you think if i wrote a letter to the dean or something similar and asked for them to consider me regardless i would get anywhere with it.
Maybe mention other factors like my extra-curriculars e.g. School cap or maybe that my UMAT was really good. (obviously worded in a more appropriate way).

I'm not eligible for any bonus points

Apologies if this has been asked, it's quite hard to search for stuff that is so specific.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Howdy,
So the day has come, i predicted my atar to be 98.5-99 and i was pleasantly surprised to be at the top end of that. However getting 98.95 means i dont quality for UQ, despite my UMAT of 200 being well in range.

Do you think if i wrote a letter to the dean or something similar and asked for them to consider me regardless i would get anywhere with it.
Maybe mention other factors like my extra-curriculars e.g. School cap or maybe that my UMAT was really good. (obviously worded in a more appropriate way).

I'm not eligible for any bonus points

Apologies if this has been asked, it's quite hard to search for stuff that is so specific.

It can't hurt, but I honestly don't think it'll help either. Given the nature of ATAR, you and X amount of other people got 98.95... if UQ let their cut-off slide for you, they'd possibly have to let it slide for others. It's a questionable slippery slope I very much doubt they'd want to head down because then, why not the student with 98.90? And then 98.85...

I'd be interested in the opinions of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.