Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

2017 Graduate Category Scores & Offers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Startersbar

Otago MBChB II
Kia ora!

This thread is for posting your scores and whether you get an offer so that future applicants can use this data as a resource. Use the following format for clarity:

My grades
Weighted GPA: 8.225
UMAT: Thresholds met - 55/44/59 (Raw scores), (64th %ile overall)
MAPAS: No
Rural: No
Medicine Offer: Waitlisted --> got an offer on 6th Jan
Dentistry Offer: Did not apply

This is how you calculate your weighted GPA (From Otago Uni website): http://www.otago.ac.nz/healthsciences/otago089542.pdf

This is a calculator for obtaining your weighted GPA (Thanks to Gotham_knight): weighted GPA calculator

Note: 44 for s2 in UMAT was the lowest score I know of that passed the threshold.

Last edited:

flooghost7255

BMedSci (Hons), Otago MBChB IV
For another person:

Weighted GPA: 8.00 (on the dot!)
UMAT: Thresholds met - 56/49/50 (59th %ile overall)

Applied for:
Medicine - waitlisted (top 5, offered and accepted 12th Jan!)
Dentistry - offered

Hopefully the cutoff doesn't rise too much
^^ famous last words

Last edited:

Chilling

Otago MB ChB V
Weighted GPA: 8.583
UMAT thresholds met (can't exactly remember scores)

Applied for:
Medicine - Offered
Dentistry - Offered

Last edited:

Aggie

Hey team!
Ive been declined from already from Otago bc of UMAT but thought I would add my 2 cents for future people

Weighted GPA: 7.8
UMAT: Thresholds met - 60th/98th/18th (70th percentile overall)
Rural: Yes
Medicine Offer: Declined

Went and talked to the admissions lady because I was quite devastated but also kinda expecting it with that 1 low UMAT score. She explained to me the UMAT threshold for each section is 26th percentile and has been for the past few years. They don't release a certain number in case there is a particularly hard UMAT year but it has been 26 for each section for the past few years.
Additionally with my GPA I only would have made the waitlist, cut off has been 7.98 for the past few years also (but again subject to change and a lot of people on the waitlist get in).
There are 50ish rural spots but 2/3 go to first years :)

Good luck for everyone else still waiting to hear back from Otago!!

Last edited:

cat849

Hey team!
Ive been declined from already from Otago bc of UMAT but thought I would add my 2 cents for future people

UMAT: Thresholds met - 60/98/18 (70th percentile)

Went and talked to the admissions lady because I was quite devastated but also kinda expecting it with that 1 low UMAT score. She explained to me the UMAT threshold for each section is 26 and has been for the past few years. They don't release a certain number in case there is a particularly hard UMAT year but it has been 26 for each section for the past few years.
Additionally with my GPA I only would have made the waitlist, cut off has been 7.98 for the past few years also (but again subject to change and a lot of people on the waitlist get in).

Sorry to hear about your umat! I was in the same boat last year and it was a shitty pill to swallow. Onwards and upwards

Startersbar

Otago MBChB II
Hey team!

UMAT: Thresholds met - 60/98/18 (70th percentile)

Went and talked to the admissions lady because I was quite devastated but also kinda expecting it with that 1 low UMAT score. She explained to me the UMAT threshold for each section is 26 and has been for the past few years. They don't release a certain number in case there is a particularly hard UMAT year but it has been 26 for each section for the past few years.

Sorry to hear that you just missed out with UMAT :/

Just a clarity question to you Aggie, did you write your UMAT section scores as percentiles or raw scores, and by 26 are you referring to percentiles?

frootloop

Doctor

Just a clarity question to you Aggie, did you write your UMAT section scores as percentiles or raw scores, and by 26 are you referring to percentiles?
I'm assuming that's a raw score, because 18th percentile would just be reported as 0-20.

Also, that really sucks Aggie, must be pretty heartbreaking to miss out because of a poor UMAT section three, of all things. Try again next year, I'd imagine as a rural applicant with those grades you'd have to at least be in the running.

Aggie

Sorry yes, should have clarified that! All of those are written in percentiles (so 60th sect1/ 98th sect 2/ 18th sect 3 and 70th overall) and 26th percentile cutoff from each section from what the admissions lady said
Thanks for all the support guys, really nice of you!!! :) I'm still waiting to hear back from auckland and have an awesome Honours project sorted out down here so I am happy as larry

Weighted GPA: 8.31
UMAT: Thresholds met - 63/67/64 (97th %ile overall)

Applied for:
Medicine - Offered and accepted

Last edited:

OutLoud

Weighted GPA: 7.97
UMAT: Thresholds met - 70/60/48 (90th %ile overall)

Applied for:
Medicine

bear123

Weighted GPA: 8.01
UMAT: 59/62/64 (88th percentile overall).

Applied for:
Medicine - waitlisted and accepted 6th Jan :)

Good luck everyone :)

Last edited:

Blattman

Weighted GPA: 8.075
UMAT: Thresholds met - 49/56/56 (69th percentile).

Applied for:
Medicine - Waitlisted and accepted 6th Jan :D:D:D

Last edited:

Startersbar

Otago MBChB II
All the past cutoffs can be found here -> http://medstudentsonline.com.au/forum/attachments/ogcwgpa-jpeg.1393/

The highest in the past is 8.01 but they might’ve fiddled with numbers this year or something which might explain the increase

I'm also speculating one possible reason for the increase is that NZ med hopefuls have to pay international fees if they were to study medicine at Australia Universities next year, therefore more students are looking to just stay in NZ rather than go to AUS. But please also note that this ruling failed to pass through so maybe those students will still end up choosing AUS. This is all just guesswork though.

Anyway, keep posting your scores everyone so next year's cohort can figure out the cutoff to get in from waitlist etc.

Last edited:
I'm also speculating one possible reason for the increase is that NZ med hopefuls have to pay international fees if they were to study medicine at Australia Universities next year, therefore more students are looking to just stay in NZ rather than go to AUS.

Keep posting your scores everyone so next year's cohort can figure out the cutoff to get in from waitlist etc.

But in conjunction with that I hope people don't panic from a comment that is currently unfounded. The only way we'll really know is to just wait and see

Status
Not open for further replies.