Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

[Undergrad] UMAT 2017 Results Discussion

A1

Rookie Doc
Do you think there's any chance that they'd still offer me an interview in the initial round if I clear things up with them since I'm already flying in in November for other interviews?

Call UNSW, only they can answer that. (google for UNSW Mr David Boothey)

Yummy

Do you think there's any chance that they'd still offer me an interview in the initial round if I clear things up with them since I'm already flying in in November for other interviews?
I thought the same thing as I just flew in too but I don't think it will as the email said "Sufficient offers have been made for the November/December interview round and no additional offers will be made." So I doubt it :(

Yummy

I called in and they said UAC will give official converted scores to be considered when everyone gets considered in December, that's why we didn't receive invitations now. They don't have our ATARs yet.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
In the other thread there are also 2-3 cases of gap year students not receiving an invite. Makes me think UNSW just goes by the "Predicted ATAR" indicator, if it shows not received they will consider you for the January round. Not logical but maybe that's how they've done.

I know of a gap year student who got an interview.

Quacks

MBChB VI
Probably not the right place to ask, but here goes...

What unis can I apply to in Aus as a non-standard with a high GPA , but with a low UMAT (still above the 50/50/50 threshold)?

Just in case entry via HSFY doesn't work out.

A1

Rookie Doc
Probably not the right place to ask, but here goes...

What unis can I apply to in Aus as a non-standard with a high GPA , but with a low UMAT (still above the 50/50/50 threshold)?

Just in case entry via HSFY doesn't work out.

Hi Quacks long time no see.
JCU doesn't require UMAT, and JMP if S1 is 58ish+.
A guy got in last year with 60/52/52 which was around 7oth %ile.

Quacks

MBChB VI
JCU doesn't require UMAT, and JMP if S1 is 58ish+.
A guy got in last year with 60/52/52 which was around 7oth %ile.

Hmmm nah my UMAT was 50/51/50 haha very average, and incredibly surprising considering I put B for all of section 3 except for about 5-10 questions....

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hmmm nah my UMAT was 50/51/50 haha very average, and incredibly surprising considering I put B for all of section 3 except for about 5-10 questions....

Your UMAT will be expired if you're talking about future applications (which you must be given they're all closed for this year), so you'll have to sit it again anyway and maybe, with some experience under your belt, you could push your score up a bit to be more competitive.

Panacea

Some awesome scores on here. I did really badly. Soooo badly I'm not going to post it on here. :rolleyes:
However, for some reason they've offered me a position at Otago...o_O
If you suck at UMAT but do well in HSFY (yeah right) what are the chances of actually continuing onto medicine?:oops:

apollos

Some awesome scores on here. I did really badly. Soooo badly I'm not going to post it on here. :rolleyes:
If you suck at UMAT but do well in HSFY (yeah right) what are the chances of actually continuing onto medicine?:oops:

That really depends on your HSFY average grade. Since there’s a 33/67 divide for how much UMAT and HSFY is worth, even with a poor UMAT, you can make up for it with your average. I can’t remember where it is on the forum (and I’m on my phone so it’s hard to go hunting) but on the Otago HSFY section I think frootloop or Stuart made a post showing that even with a 30th percentile UMAT you can achieve the usual required rank score due to your HSFY grade. As long as your rank score is above ~82 it seems this year, you should definitely be fine for getting in.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff

Hi,

If UMAT is not your strong point, Auckland First Year may be a better option than HSFY. To give you an idea, UMAT S1 60+ is a good indicator of getting into MBChB via HSFY.

Mariah_05

Overall UMAT Score: 164
Section One: 56
Section Two: 48
Section Three: 61
Overall Percentile Rank: 74
Estimated ATAR/GPA: (actual) 98.65
Preferred University: any in Australia
Course Type: Medicine
Application type: school leaver
State: NSW
Rural: no
ATSI: no
GWS: yes
Other Bonuses: no

Question/s: Do I have the slightest chance at med this year?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Overall UMAT Score: 164
Section One: 56
Section Two: 48
Section Three: 61
Overall Percentile Rank: 74
Estimated ATAR/GPA: (actual)
Preferred University: any in Australia
Course Type: Medicine
Application type: school leaver
State: NSW
Rural:
no
ATSI: no
GWS: yes
Other Bonuses: no

Question/s: Do I have the slightest chance at med this year?

Have you been offered any interviews so far? JCU might be your best shot. Or Bond if you can afford it.

Mariah_05

Have you been offered any interviews so far? JCU might be your best shot. Or Bond if you can afford it.

No because our school didn't provide estimated atars for the universities. Hopefully JCU I guess. Has there been any history of students receiving an interview with my atar?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
No because our school didn't provide estimated atars for the universities. Hopefully JCU I guess. Has there been any history of students receiving an interview with my atar?

Yes, definitely. The tricky thing with JCU predictions is the written application.

Best of luck :D

Mariah_05

Yes, definitely. The tricky thing with JCU predictions is the written application.

Best of luck :D

Thanks so much! Yeah I'm not too sure what defines a 'satisfactory application' so I guess we'll wait and see.
Also, is there any possible way to determine the UMAT cut-off for WSU?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks so much! Yeah I'm not too sure what defines a 'satisfactory application' so I guess we'll wait and see.
Also, is there any possible way to determine the UMAT cut-off for WSU?

Only by looking at successful scores vs unsuccessful scores in the same category (in your case, WSU), and trying to find the point at which it switches. You could have a look at the Interview Invites - Collated page for more info, though I can't remember how much GWS data we got this year.