Preferred University: Adelaide, Flinders
Course Type: Medicine
Application type: School leaver
State: VIC
Rural: no
ATSI: no
GWS: no
Other Bonuses: no

Question/s: Not sure how the Adelaide interview went but what are my chances for getting an Adelaide or Flinders offer?

Panacea

Hi,

If UMAT is not your strong point, Auckland First Year may be a better option than HSFY. To give you an idea, UMAT S1 60+ is a good indicator of getting into MBChB via HSFY.
Unfortunately already sorted for Otago. Will just have to give it a bit more than my all haha

Tan

ATAR: 96.95
UMAT: 80 percentile
Overall: 169
Section 1: 43
Section 2: 60
Section 3: 66
Student from Victoria, NO rural/disadvantaged school benefits

Hi all,
I have been declined from most universities for undergraduate medicine (except UTAS and Flinders Uni). I want to do medicine, but I am already sceptical regarding how I will perform on the GAMSAT, so I was wondering if anyone knows any pathways into medicine that do not require the GAMSAT from any Australian universities. My scores are written above ^

Thanks

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator

Hi all,
I have been declined from most universities for undergraduate medicine (except UTAS and Flinders Uni). I want to do medicine, but I am already sceptical regarding how I will perform on the GAMSAT, so I was wondering if anyone knows any pathways into medicine that do not require the GAMSAT from any Australian universities. My scores are written above ^

Thanks

The only universities in Australia that don't require UMAT or GAMSAT for medicine are Bond and JCU. Medicine being something that a whole lot of people want to do has pretty much inflated the admission scores through pretty much every pathway out there.

That said, as you haven't even attempted the GAMSAT yet, why are you already writing yourself off?

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc

Hi all,

Thanks

Hi welcome to MSO. Before getting to GAMSAT your most realistic option is to start first year uni, sit UMAT next year then apply non-standard to WSU and JMP. Possibly UNSW too but you will need GPA 7.0 to make up for your 96.95 ATAR. See more info in this table > [Undergrad] - 2017-18 Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

Your UMAT S3 looks good, S2 reasonable but can do with some improvement, however S1 will need a big improvement to stand a chance for WSU.

Ian Naga

Retired Lurker

Hi all,

Thanks

ANU Health Sciences has a pathway to medicine. They take 60 students out of which 30 go into MD program without GAMSAT.
B Health Science - ANU - through UAC
Also check: Bachelor of Health Science | Australian National University

Also, since you are in Victoria, Monash has a Graduate pathway from Geelong campus. It is via Biomedical Science pathway . However, it is restricted 25 students but requires no gamstat,
Graduate entry

VTAC: Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre
The 1st round clearly in ATAR is 99.05 but the 2nd round offers might be much lower.

Both however are not guaranteed but have pathways without gamstat.

The other ones you can consider are the ones offered by UTas (BMedResearch)
http://www.utas.edu.au/courses/chm/courses/m3m-bachelor-of-medical-research
There is a pathway to medicine through this course.
Also, UNSW offers a course that has a pathway to their medical program but reading MSO, it is found to be very very competitive.

The other option is to do 1st year (HSY1 or OLY1) at the University of Otago or University of Auckland and a get good GPA (8.5 out of the 9 scale) and apply for medicine at these Universities. The beauty of this system is that you have the option to get into alternative courses like Physiotherapy/Pharmacy etc if you are unable to get into medicine without wasting a year. UMAT is required. The UMAT requirements are really low for these Universities (Thanks to LMG! for the table here: NZ Med and Dent Place Offers 2018 - Collated Data )

There is one other option to enhance your chances albeit with GAMSTAT is to do a Bachelor's degree in a rural Universitiy (JCU/CDU/UTas etc) and move your residence there for the entirety of the degree and then apply for graduate medicine through the rural pathway. You are required to live a certain amount of time in a rural area in Australia to qualify for this and please check the requirement on this as it may vary from one Uni to another. I was talking to a lecturer at a Uni that offers this pathway and he mentioned that at most times, the rural quota never gets filled up, despite lower requirements.

There are still other options like the introduction of accelerated 2 year degrees (e.g Bachelor of Clinical Sciences st MQ: MQU Program Finder). You can do one of these and move on to other Health fields through the graduate pathway including medicine (need GAMSAT). physiotherapy, etc. However, some universities insists on 3 year degree and hence I am not sure if this route will work with all graduate pathway medicine program, even though these 2 year accelerated degree outlines says it is a 3 year degree done in 2 years due the trimester system.

So there you go! Good Luck.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Re. the UTAS options mentioned in the post above.

There is a guaranteed Med entry through BMedRes option at UTAS, but you can’t apply for it, select applicants are offered it based on their ATAR/UMAT just missing out on an MBBS place.

You can also do BMedRes at UTAS without guaranteed entry, as it is still another (the only other from 2019 entry onwards) pathway to medicine, but you do have sit UMAT again, it is not a UMAT-free route to Med.

Re. doing undergrad in a rural location. I don’t know of any universities that will accept this and then class you as a rural applicant. Certainly none of the undergrad ones will, and I don’t think any postgrad ones will either. You need at least 5 years consecutively or 10 years cumulatively, so doing a 3 (or even 4) year undergrad degree in a rural location won’t be enough.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Ian Naga

Retired Lurker
Re. the UTAS options mentioned in the post above.

There is a guaranteed Med entry through BMedRes option at UTAS, but you can’t apply for it, select applicants are offered it based on their ATAR/UMAT just missing out on an MBBS place.

You can also do BMedRes at UTAS without guaranteed entry, as it is still another (the only other from 2019 entry onwards) pathway to medicine, but you do have sit UMAT again, it is not a UMAT-free route to Med.

Re. doing undergrad in a rural location. I don’t know of any universities that will accept this and then class you as a rural applicant. Certainly none of the undergrad ones will, and I don’t think any postgrad ones will either. You need at least 5 years consecutively or 10 years cumulatively, so doing a 3 (or even 4) year undergrad degree in a rural location won’t be enough.

With OP's ATAR of 96.95 and non-rural, I think the guaranteed Med entry through BMedRes option at UTAS does not exist (and the reason I did not discuss). Anyway it is by invitation only. Regarding preparing for graduate entry medicine, a degree like BMedRes or Manash's Biomedical or ANU's Health Science gives an added advantage in that one can apply to all graduate entry med schools (with gamsat) using these degrees and at the same time apply to exclusive opportunities offered by these specific universities (ANU/Monash without GAMSAT). So it is slightly advantageous over taking a degree at other Universities. Of course, it is best to have a back up plan. That's where I suggested a rural location degree. If only 5 years of ruralty is needed, then depending on your choice of the course, it can articulate well. For example, Pharmacy is 4 years but you also need to do 1 year internship to become a registered Pharmacist. If you can do the internship in a rural area, it can work out well if you still wish to pursue medicine afterwards through the rural quota. It is advantageous to do the Pharmacy degree in a rural location than in a non-rural location. Other degrees like Psychology, etc might articulate well with this as well. Good Luck

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
I should probably reiterate my stance here against Health Science and Medical Science degrees with regard to the ANU's non-GAMSAT pathway. It's important to make sure you have an appropriate career path should you do this and be in the 30 that miss out on an ANU spot. Certainly this is a higher proportion than most other Medical Science subquota schemes - but beware the (very possible) scenario where you don't get in and have a degree you can't use.

MV1000

Lurker
Probably a decent chance at UTAS, but we really don't have much data on UTAS school leaver UMAT scores. Best of luck, and if you can, please report back to MSO whether you get an offer or not so we can start collating some more reliable info. Thank you!
I just remembered this website and realised that I never replied! I got in (2018) and am now about to start third year MBBS at UTAS! 🙂

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads