Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU Medicine 2018 General Discussion

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Most people report that the caller asks them if JCU is their top preference though? And presumably, if anything, JCU can only see QTAC preferencing. For example, if I'd have applied to JCU, UTAS would still have been my top preference, but JCU wouldn't have known that. Also, people can put some Qld courses on UAC. So if someone applied to Griffith via UAC and JCU via QTAC then JCU wouldn't know that either.
Yeah that’s very true, I would say your theory is the most likely that I’ve heard so far!

PimpOfRivia

Most people report that the caller asks them if JCU is their top preference though? And presumably, if anything, JCU can only see QTAC preferencing. For example, if I'd have applied to JCU, UTAS would still have been my top preference, but JCU wouldn't have known that. Also, people can put some Qld courses on UAC. So if someone applied to Griffith via UAC and JCU via QTAC then JCU wouldn't know that either.

If JCU can only see qtac preferencing, wouldn't that mean the courtesy calls are arbitrary? How would they know who to call? (disclaimer: just a speculation)

Last edited:

Cuzzy

If JCU can only see qtac preferencing, wouldn't that mean the courtesy calls are arbitrary? How would they know who to call?
I'd assume they call people with higher ATAR / rural considerations as they would be more likely to be accepted by other unis in other states..

James Robinson

Bond MD II
I'd assume that's the point. They call a random sample. Again, this is just my speculation.
One of my friends during his interview spoke with some JCU representatives and asked whether or not they would be doing courtesy calls, they responded by saying that it will all be done through QTAC this year so I'm sure it's like what LMG said - to get a gauge as to how much they should offer for the first round.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Can't upvote this enough :) thanks Crow. Btw what's the difference between total offers and final offers?
According to the key, it says total offers is the number of offers made in all offer rounds (applicants receiving more than one offer are counted for each offer), while final offers is the final number of applicants who received an offer. My interpretation is that those who preferenced Griffith or UQ higher than JCU and didn't get those in first round (but were offered JCU in first round) but then got Griffith or UQ in the second offer round and accepted, are subtracted from total offers to get the final offers. The key isn't particularly helpful with its explanation!

PimpOfRivia

According to the key, it says total offers is the number of offers made in all offer rounds (applicants receiving more than one offer are counted for each offer), while final offers is the final number of applicants who received an offer. My interpretation is that those who preferenced Griffith or UQ higher than JCU and didn't get those in first round (but were offered JCU in first round) but then got Griffith or UQ in the second offer round and accepted, are subtracted from total offers to get the final offers. The key isn't particularly helpful with its explanation!

Would that mean JCU school of Medicine has a student capacity of ~ 200?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator

Nope, the total enrolments in the end was 147, if you read across the table. This essentially means of the 154 that eventually accepted, 8 of them deferred. Of the total number of offers actually made (around 200 or so), around 50 or so people declined it (likely for a higher preference elsewhere).

Edit: ignore the above, I totally forgot about international students.

Last edited:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I would say that is about right when you consider international applicants as well, although I suppose it might vary a little from year to year. The latest form (for 2019 entry) says there are 30-40 places for internationals (unsure if this is different to previous years, the 2018 form is no longer accessible). The total enrollments in 2016 was 157 (with 19 deferrals), compared to the 147 last year. So the number of domestic places each year ultimately depends on the number that deferred in the previous year, plus the number of international place offers. Considering there are 12 less deferrals from last year entering this year's intake, it is possible there will be more places available for domestic students in this year's intake.

ETA: The information form says there are ~150 domestic places available for 2018 intake.

A1

Rookie Doc
I have carefully gone through the Med Deans stat numbers, this is going to cause a small stir.

In the past (2-5 years ago) JCU domestic intake was typically 170. This isn't an arbitrary number, it's a controlled quota of CSP places the federal gov gives to each med school. With a class capacity of 200 JCU fit in 20-30 int'l students a year.

But now JCU Med guide says only 150 CSP places, while incidentally the int'l student numbers have gone up to ~40. Has anyone heard whether this CSP cut was from the federal gov, or was it JCU's own choice so it can take in more int'l students for more fees?

Thots

I have carefully gone through the Med Deans stat numbers, this is going to cause a small stir.

In the past (2-5 years ago) JCU domestic intake was typically 170. This isn't an arbitrary number, it's a controlled quota of CSP places the federal gov gives to each med school. With a class capacity of 200 JCU fit in 20-30 int'l students a year.

But now JCU Med guide says only 150 CSP places, while incidentally the int'l student numbers have gone up to ~40. Has anyone heard whether this CSP cut was from the federal gov, or was it JCU's own choice so it can take in more int'l students for more fees?

Scandalous..

C

Cookie

Hey I was just wondering if they are still continuing to call people throughout the weekend?
There weren't any reported calls yesterday, so I think they only did the calls on the 10th and 11th. Besides, it's three days until QTAC offers come out anyway.

JK2800

My friend just received a rejection call from JCU, and we initially thought that JCU only gave successful applicants a call? Has anyone else had someone call them to let them know they have not made it? I was told that the person called via a private number and had a strange voice.

Anyone got anything on this?

falcon55

well anyways, i feel like there's no point fretting anymore, to the people who received phone calls, congrats! To those who are still waiting (like me!) guess we'll find out on the 16th :D