Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Curtin Curtin Medicine: Interview Discussion

Does anyone have any advice for the Curtin MMI Interview? Is it the same structure as other MMI interviews with 8 stations? Also is there role playing/puzzles? If there is any info you are allowed to give me about the interview, that'd be great. Thank you!

MedicHP

Curtin MBBS IV
There are no puzzles/role playing/videos. It is really just a standard MMI but cover a diverse range of topics that are not always present at other unis. I'm not really sure at how much I'm allowed to say but yeah I hope that's both vague enough yet a tad helpful. Read the admissions handbook carefully (1st page with info on it is actually quite helpful ;)) and really make sure you get familiar with the people that run the med school so you can put the right impression on the right people in the interviews.

Panda111

WSU MD I
I've been told that Curtin prefers WA students, is this true?
Also, does Curtin ask an questions specifically about the course and what we know about it? - only of you're allowed to tell me!

I am a 2017 WA school leaver so I did the curtin MMI in December 2017. I received an offer from UWA which was my first preference [ETA: and was advised I would have received an offer from Curtin had it been my first preference but of course there are so many variables in the final ranking] so I don't have a clue how successful I was at the Curtin interview.

I probably shouldn't say too much, and my memory is a little hazy, but I'll corroborate what MedicHP said about there being no puzzles or intelligence/logic questions, nor was there questions about the university and why you want to study there, all the stations assess your personal qualities and values just like most other medical schools.

As for the interview, you get 2 minutes to read and make notes about a prompt on the door (a situation or moral issue, a few times it was something more general) and then you go into the room, where you have to give your thoughts and then are asked follow up questions. Quite a bit of ethics (as opposed to UWA which had none and did not give you any specific scenarios).

FWIW, most people I talked to found it significantly more challenging than the UWA interview. The questions were harder at Curtin, and also the interviews were conducted by the professors and organisation on the day is run by the faculty staff, while at UWA the interviewers were people who seemed like volunteers (as the average age would have been well past retirement) and the organisation was done by students who joked around a bit and really helped to calm your nerves.

Last edited:

Concon

I am a 2017 WA school leaver so I did the curtin MMI in December. I received an offer from UWA which was my first preference so I don't have a clue how successful I was at the curtin interview.

I probably shouldn't say too much, and my memory is a little hazy, but I'll corroborate what MedicHP said about there being no puzzles or intelligence/logic questions, nor was there questions about the university and why you want to study there, all the stations assess your personal qualities and values just like most other medical schools.

As for the interview, you get 2 minutes to read and make notes about a prompt on the door (a situation or moral issue, a few times it was something more general) and then you go into the room, where you have to give your thoughts and then are asked follow up questions. Quite a bit of ethics (as opposed to UWA which had none and did not give you any specific scenarios).

FWIW, most people I talked to found it significantly more challenging than the UWA interview. The questions were harder at Curtin, and also the interviews were conducted by the professors and organisation on the day is run by the faculty staff, while at UWA the interviewers were people who seemed like volunteers (as the average age would have been well past retirement) and the organisation was done by students who joked around a bit and really helped to calm your nerves.

Completely agree with the last paragraph

MedicHP

Curtin MBBS IV
I've been told that Curtin prefers WA students, is this true?
Also, does Curtin ask an questions specifically about the course and what we know about it? - only of you're allowed to tell me!

Can confirm that preference to WA students is not true, yet. There has been talk about it at AMSA meetings though. I cannot stress the importance of reading the Curtin handbook. Like honestly, for my cohort when we had no idea what we were facing, critically analysing the first two pages of that handbook genuinely pulled me through. You can pretty much surmise what the non-ethics questions are based on that. Also, there's some similarity to UNSW interviews in regards to work ethic. I hope I haven't crossed any lines lol but yeah good luck and chin up. The interviewers are actually people from Curtin and out of Curtin. There are professors as well as Perth based physicians and surgeons. There are also members of the university community that have no affiliation with the medical school (such as on-campus housing administration officers). Just remember Curtin Med is really just a big family so keep your head up it'll be fine

MedicHP

Curtin MBBS IV
Don't know whether this is the appropriate thread to ask this question in, but does anyone know the ''success rate'' of those who are interviewed vs those that get an offer into the course?

As far as I know, we had about 300 interviews but I'm not sure how many people got offers altogether (e.g. the people who rejected Curtin) but we know at least 60

MedicHP

Curtin MBBS IV
Thanks! What about Erica Underwood?
I stayed at Erica last semester. It has a stronger party culture which is fine by me but it was kind of annoying since all my roommates would mess up the kitchen all the time and we'd constantly be getting fines. And there's not many med students at Erica simply because George James is much nicer and is only $5 extra per week (and also because we're pretty tight so we stay nearby since we're always chilling at each other's place)

falcon55

Another Question: Does anyone know approximately how many of the 70 spots within the Curtin Medical Program in 2018 will be allocated to Non-standard students?

How long does the whole interview process last for? I'm coming from interstate so booking a flight to leave 4 hours after my interview starts. Also is there a place where I could leave my suitcase?

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff
How long does the whole interview process last for? I'm coming from interstate so booking a flight to leave 4 hours after my interview starts. Also is there a place where I could leave my suitcase?
The interview process for me lasted around 2 hours, 4 hours might be cutting it a bit fine (as you need to get to the airport and everything).
The people at the reception desk will be able to look after your luggage, no problem.

A1

Rookie Doc
Another Question: Does anyone know approximately how many of the 70 spots within the Curtin Medical Program in 2018 will be allocated to Non-standard students?

The Curtin 2017 Guide (page 8) says 8% of places for non-standard, so 6 places in 2018
> https://courses.curtin.edu.au/local/docs/2017-mbbs-admissions-guide.pdf

It also says last year they anticipated to interview 180 (ratio of 3 to 1) but according to MedicHP actual was close to 300. Gives you an idea how much to trust what the Guide says.

falcon55

Since it appears that non-standards are ranked separately for the 6 places available this consequently means that approx. ~18-20 people (non-standard) are being interviewed?

edit: Cheers for all the help everyone, sorry to be a pest

Last edited:

Nujabes

Since it appears that non-standards are ranked separately for the 6 places available this consequently means that approx. ~18-20 people (non-standard) are being interviewed?

edit: Cheers for all the help everyone, sorry to be a pest

It could be less if there weren't enough non-standard applicants, because not many people have completed a degree/know about this