Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO: Alternative ('Other') Category Chat/Enquiries

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Since adventuretime is a chemistry graduate, I would think chemistry concepts in BIOC192 would be a piece of cake! I always thought you could do BIOC192 without CHEM191 but that's a different topic.

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Off the top of my head, I do not recall anything from CHEM191 transpiring significantly into BIOC192. I'm sure anything that does do so is quite chill, given an undergrad Chem degree :).

Clav

Otago MB ChB PGY2
the chem191 guest lectures are basically carbon copies of bioc lectures... but they're barely examined

Since adventuretime is a chemistry graduate, I would think chemistry concepts in BIOC192 would be a piece of cake! I always thought you could do BIOC192 without CHEM191 but that's a different topic.

Haha yes, but it would seem I am going through a worrying/doubting phase! But thanks guys, ill put that to the side now :)

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Haha yes, but it would seem I am going through a worrying/doubting phase! But thanks guys, ill put that to the side now :)

It is very normal to experience such a phase. I definitely encourage putting it aside and focusing on the current paper.

Good luck!

TracyH

Lurker
Hi everyone, I have a overseas degree BSC in in Human Biology. My only dilemma is that I won’t make the cut the 3 year criteria for alternative category as I completed my degree back in 2006.

Does this mean that I need to complete a another degree before I apply for MhChb?

nanep31

Hi everyone, I have a overseas degree BSC in in Human Biology. My only dilemma is that I won’t make the cut the 3 year criteria for alternative category as I completed my degree back in 2006.

Does this mean that I need to complete a another degree before I apply for MhChb?

Despite what it says on the website, it would be best to ring the health science office for clarification.

It's a bit difficult to say without knowing more about your situation.

In order to apply via the Graduate Category you have finished your degree "within three years of the date of application". If you are ineligible for the Graduate Category due to the fact that you have finished your degree more than three years ago then you fall under the Alternative Category based on the criteria that you "Hold a degree from a New Zealand university, and [are] no longer be eligible under the Graduate category".

However, because your degree if from an overseas university it's hard to know where you fit in. As nanep31 said, I'd say it's best you hear it from the horse's mouth (the admissions administrative team) as to whether you are eligible to apply or not.

Hi all! congratulations to those of you who are starting med this year! Anyone willing to share what their GPA was?
you might want to look in the Graduate category topic page for this information. It doesn't seem like GPA is very important in the alternate category for entry. I don't even know what mine is! I'd say it was in the average range. Can figure it out for you if you really want to know though

Hi all! congratulations to those of you who are starting med this year! Anyone willing to share what their GPA was?

You've probably heard this before but 'Academic achievement' (i.e. GPA) is one of a number of measures by which you are 'ranked' as an applicant for the Alternative Category. 'Academic achievement' in itself is a vague term, and as far as I'm aware the admission committee take a very subjective view on what constitutes 'Academic achievement' (as opposed to ranking via GPA in the Graduate Category). So as far as I'm aware there doesn't seem to be a minimum GPA required to apply.

I would put as much effort into having a adequate GPA as I would any of the other areas of interest such as "demonstrating academic and/or professional experience in the relevant field", "Other achievements", "Commitment to a career change", "Knowledge of the New Zealand health system" and "Understanding of the profession". I'd say you're much more likely to be looked on favourably with more of those in the bag than great grades alone.

In saying that if you're in doubt about anything you should give the admission team a call, they should give you most (if not all) the answers you need.

twiila

Hi everyone!

I'm another hopeful planning to apply to Otago via the 'other' category this year. Congrats to everyone that will be starting med next month!

I was wondering if anyone has experience applying for both Auckland and Otago alt category at the same time? I'm concerned that UMAT dates seem to be around the same time as the interviews, and whether its been a problem for anyone in the past?

A little bit about myself - I'm originally from Japan and came to NZ about 6 years ago to complete a BSc (was granted citizenship last year!). I work in clinical research in the public hospital, and gained a lot of experience as a research assistant doing anaesthetics and neurosurgery studies, and moved up to clinical trial coordinator for oncology/haematology. I've also been studying towards a MHSc with the dept of surgery, while working, and will be finishing next month- so I'm planning on applying for Auckland grad entry as well. Working in the public healthcare system has really made me realise I want to study medicine. On top of that, a very close family member became terminally ill with cancer back home in Japan, and after experiencing the receiving end of healthcare it has really motivated me to pursue a career in med. I don't have any volunteering experience as most of my time has been occupied with work/study/family commitments, but I'm hoping my application is good enough to at least get an interview. (although from reading back on this thread I still don't know how the committee decide who gets in and who doesn't!)

Hi everyone!

I'm another hopeful planning to apply to Otago via the 'other' category this year. Congrats to everyone that will be starting med next month!

I was wondering if anyone has experience applying for both Auckland and Otago alt category at the same time? I'm concerned that UMAT dates seem to be around the same time as the interviews, and whether its been a problem for anyone in the past?

A little bit about myself - I'm originally from Japan and came to NZ about 6 years ago to complete a BSc (was granted citizenship last year!). I work in clinical research in the public hospital, and gained a lot of experience as a research assistant doing anaesthetics and neurosurgery studies, and moved up to clinical trial coordinator for oncology/haematology. I've also been studying towards a MHSc with the dept of surgery, while working, and will be finishing next month- so I'm planning on applying for Auckland grad entry as well. Working in the public healthcare system has really made me realise I want to study medicine. On top of that, a very close family member became terminally ill with cancer back home in Japan, and after experiencing the receiving end of healthcare it has really motivated me to pursue a career in med. I don't have any volunteering experience as most of my time has been occupied with work/study/family commitments, but I'm hoping my application is good enough to at least get an interview. (although from reading back on this thread I still don't know how the committee decide who gets in and who doesn't!)

Hay twiila,

I applied for both at the same time and the UMAT test date was about a month after I had my interview, so I wouldn't worry about it.

You sound like a very qualified applicant with a lot of research/study under your belt, which I'm sure they'll appreciate! I wouldn't worry too much about not having specifically done much volunteering, but what I would say is it pays to also mention things you've done/do outside of your working life (i.e extracurricular activities, sports, community involvement etc - anything you feel is relevant), as well as your professional experiences. I could be wrong but I get the impression they look for people with a bit of balance in their lives.

Someone else might want to, but I won't speculate on whether or not you'll get an interview at the risk of being completely wrong and misleading you.

Either way though good luck for your application! I hope it goes well :)

twiila

Hay twiila,

I applied for both at the same time and the UMAT test date was about a month after I had my interview, so I wouldn't worry about it.

You sound like a very qualified applicant with a lot of research/study under your belt, which I'm sure they'll appreciate! I wouldn't worry too much about not having specifically done much volunteering, but what I would say is it pays to also mention things you've done/do outside of your working life (i.e extracurricular activities, sports, community involvement etc - anything you feel is relevant), as well as your professional experiences. I could be wrong but I get the impression they look for people with a bit of balance in their lives.

Someone else might want to, but I won't speculate on whether or not you'll get an interview at the risk of being completely wrong and misleading you.

Either way though good luck for your application! I hope it goes well :)

Thanks for the very helpful tips Bridge '94! I will definitely take your advice and include a description of activities out of work in my application :)

Clav

Otago MB ChB PGY2
To those who applied last year, how are the referees contacted?

I applied the year before last, and I think mine were contacted by email from memory. Though my referees were generally quite busy people so they may have tried phone first and just had no luck.

I guess that's not really all that helpful to your question haha.