Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Bond Med 2018 Discussion

D

Deleted member 32959

Perhaps they have concluded that the ATAR is a weak predictor of what makes a good medical professional?

Good luck with your application.
That's interesting to note compared to the practices followed by Syd Uni, UNSW, Uni of Melb and Monash where Academic Excellence (aka ATAR) plays a big role which defines the tenacity needed to take the rigours of Medicine. Of course ATAR is a weak predictor wherein the Medicine applicants take easier subjects and score higher as Australia is very peculiar in only requiring Chemistry as mandatory unlike 90% of the world universities need either all the science subjects or the least Chemistry and Biology a must against Economics, Ancient History and French/Latin where these add no sense to Medical first-year student when they enter boasting 99.6 or above ATAR in Australia. I agree ATAR is a weak predictor in Australia for Med admissions when there is no common subject list in Year 12 across the board in all states as mandatory. They should take the raw ( actual) scores secured instead of inflating the score to a number called ATAR. When I applied to a UK university they were more interested to know my raw score as they said they very well know that this ATAR inflates the number based on high scaling subjects. Anyway, we are in it to win it and there is no escape.

A1

Rookie Doc
That's interesting to note compared to the practices followed by Syd Uni, UNSW, Uni of Melb and Monash where Academic Excellence (aka ATAR) plays a big role which defines the tenacity needed to take the rigours of Medicine.

USyd and UQ use GPA 5.0 as a hurdle after that applicants compete on GAMSAT score & interview. Not so different to Bond using GPA/ATAR like a hurdle to get into the test round then compete on Interview score.

W.r.t. the tenacity needed to take the rigours of Medicine, several undergrad medschools (WSU, JMP, UTas) require ATAR 95+ whereas it's around 97+ for Bond. They are no slouches.

They should take the raw ( actual) scores secured instead of inflating the score to a number called ATAR.

ATAR is a rank, getting ATAR 98.0 doesn't mean their marks have been inflated to 98/100. If you don't understand enough about it perhaps ask rather than making uninformed comments?

D

Deleted member 32959

USyd and UQ use GPA 5.0 as a hurdle after that applicants compete on GAMSAT score & interview. Not so different to Bond using GPA/ATAR like a hurdle to get into the test round then compete on Interview score.

W.r.t. the tenacity needed to take the rigours of Medicine, several undergrad medschools (WSU, JMP, UTas) require ATAR 95+ whereas it's around 97+ for Bond. They are no slouches.

ATAR is a rank, getting ATAR 98.0 doesn't mean their marks have been inflated to 98/100. If you don't understand enough about it perhaps ask rather than making uninformed comments?
Sorry, I did not mean it that way. I will leave it at that. Good luck to all to make the interview as you have all made it to the test now with the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank.

chinaski

That's interesting to note compared to the practices followed by Syd Uni, UNSW, Uni of Melb and Monash where Academic Excellence (aka ATAR) plays a big role which defines the tenacity needed to take the rigours of Medicine.

Or, the high ATAR set by public med schools is merely reflective of demand outstripping supply, hence, school leaving marks are used to separate students. You actually don't need to be a genius or brilliant to succeed in med school; it's a fallacy to believe only the top 0.01% can cut the mustard.

D

Deleted member 32959

Or, the high ATAR set by public med schools is merely reflective of demand outstripping supply, hence, school leaving marks are used to separate students. You actually don't need to be a genius or brilliant to succeed in med school; it's a fallacy to believe only the top 0.01% can cut the mustard.
I totally agree with your statement. As with UNSW, their median was told to be >99.50 for the final offer but >99.00 for interview offer (Y12 school leaver) so maybe the reason I did not make it after the interview as they view ATAR in the final offer along with Interview and UMAT as well. Your statement nails it correctly as you don't need to be a genius to complete medicine as I have seen it through personal experience around my region. Cheers.

Had a look, all prerequisites have been satisfied, but when it comes to the bond university medicine test it says "No - you have not met the requirements to be selected to sit the test"
Hi Omer, Good luck with your inquiry with QTAC and Bond. I sincerely hope it was an error. Hope you make the cut for Psychometric with such good ATAR.

I am not sure if Academic Performance would not be considered at the interview stage. The previous posts suggested for a fact that once in the Psychometric test stage, the ATAR / GPA would be scrapped up to the final offer!!!. The Bond Website shows assessment on outstanding academic achievement which is the first bullet point at the Interview stage. All the while I was thinking that Academic Performance may play a small role at the least along with Interview performance for the final offer. I am sorry if I did not get the inner meaning (if any) on assessment of "Outstanding Academic Achievement". Can anyone decipher or throw some light into the matter, please?
Thanks.

Step 3: Interview

The results of the psychometric test will determine eligibility for being offered an interview as the next step of the assessment process. Interviews will be held in person at Bond University on the Gold Coast, where their general suitability to medicine and preparedness to undertake a highly demanding course will be examined in a structured multi mini interview (MMI).

Applicants will be assessed on the following:

• Outstanding academic achievement
  • Demonstrated ability to achieve graduate outcomes of:
    • Knowledge and critical thinking
    • Leadership
    • Initiative and teamwork
    • Communication skills
    • Responsibility
    • Ethical decision-making skills
    • Motivation
    • Non-verbal reasoning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marma

No there weren't!

Everyone would be different! I personally found them overall quite easy, but I may have answered them to the standard that they are not looking for! Just remember that there is no real right or wrong answer. Just answer to what YOU think is most correct and at the end of the day, that's the best you can do.

I personally forgot to look at the time when I was doing it but I'm pretty sure it took me an hour or so. My advice would be to do it when you have nothing planned, you don't want to feel rushed!

Hi MM2000, I was just wondering whether the test was in two components i.e. the Personality Component could be done separately to the Emotional Intelligence Component, or whether you had to do the test in one go?

chinaski

I totally agree with your statement. As with UNSW, their median was told to be >99.50 for the final offer but >99.00 for interview offer (Y12 school leaver) so maybe the reason I did not make it after the interview as they view ATAR in the final offer along with Interview and UMAT as well. Your statement nails it correctly as you don't need to be a genius to complete medicine as I have seen it through personal experience around my region. Cheers.

Rather contradictory of your earlier statement that "Academic Excellence (aka ATAR) plays a big role which defines the tenacity needed to take the rigours of Medicine"...

Sam42

Hi, Bond website says try to allow a max of 1.5 hours to complete.... but there are over 300 questions... thats around 20 seconds per question....? Am i reading that right ? thanks !

Yes - the questions do not require a terrible amount of thought per say. And do remember that it is untimed.

Last edited:

Bob Dylan

Hi, Bond website says try to allow a max of 1.5 hours to complete.... but there are over 300 questions... thats around 20 seconds per question....? Am i reading that right ? thanks !
I agree with Sam, it is untimed so just work through the 2 tests it at your own pace. IMO you would be doing a disservice to yourself if you rush questions to complete the test within an arbitrary time frame.

Sam42

I wonder how long it will take them to process the psychometric test results after the 14th before they start making interview offers...

I wonder how long it will take them to process the psychometric test results after the 14th before they start making interview offers...

the website says interview offers released on the 26th..except I wonder if they'll release them earlier since psychometric test offers came out early..

Sam42

the website says interview offers released on the 26th..except I wonder if they'll release them earlier since psychometric test offers came out early..

Technically the website says the 26th to the 7th March is when: Medical Program^ interviews coordinated and conducted at the Faculty of Health Sciences & Medicine.

I thought this when the actual interviews take place, meaning, surely they send out the invitations before this time haha!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Technically the website says the 26th to the 7th March is when: Medical Program^ interviews coordinated and conducted at the Faculty of Health Sciences & Medicine.

I thought this when the actual interviews take place, meaning, surely they send out the invitations before this time haha!

Someone further back in this thread made a prediction about the date for interview invites going out (indicating interstate ones might be a few days earlier to give people more time, and that in state interviews only came out about 4 days prior to interviews last year - or something like that! Check back a few pages).

Bob Dylan

You would think so. But even last year when they offered interviews based on grades only, the interview emails were a bit staggered (2 people in my own class at bond got interview emails on different days but still about a week, possibly 4 days like LMG said^ before the interview period). Now with the added complexities of profiling everyones psychometric test, who knows how offers will come out. Also graduate applicants are usually all interviewed last which I assume is so they can compared the grads in a group separately to the school leavers .

Last edited: