Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Looking to pursue medicine as a mature student

9 Tails

Lurker
Hi everyone,

I'm 32 years old and work in the NZ health sector. I've got a Postgraduate Diploma and Masters of Arts, however, this was completed more than 5 years ago. I know I need to do another Postgraduate Diploma or Masters year to meet the minimum entry requirements. I have a very supportive family and partner and know this will be a good buffer if I pursue medicine.

Has anyone pursued the route of completing two masters and pgdip for graduate entry?
What are the experiences of other mature students? Preferably those over 35 years of age.
How important are the topics of my postgraduate studies? e.g. relevance to healthcare.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi everyone,

I'm 32 years old and work in the NZ health sector. I've got a Postgraduate Diploma and Masters of Arts, however, this was completed more than 5 years ago. I know I need to do another Postgraduate Diploma or Masters year to meet the minimum entry requirements. I have a very supportive family and partner and know this will be a good buffer if I pursue medicine.

Has anyone pursued the route of completing two masters and pgdip for graduate entry?
What are the experiences of other mature students? Preferably those over 35 years of age.
How important are the topics of my postgraduate studies? e.g. relevance to healthcare.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi 9 Tails,

Welcome to MSO!

You should consider Otago's Alternative category rather than trying to study another degree, unless that is your plan regardless of medicine entry. In terms of Graduate Categories, it really doesn't matter what you have done. With good enough academic performance (> 8.0) and enough interview/UMAT skills, you will be fine.

9 Tails

Lurker
Thanks Stuart for your prompt response!

Does anyone else know of any mature students and can provide some insight into their experiences?

Many thanks,

Clav

Otago MB ChB PGY2
Thanks Stuart for your prompt response!

Does anyone else know of any mature students and can provide some insight into their experiences?

Many thanks,

I'm 31 this year and just started med this week. So far I haven't felt weird... also you'll find there's probably ~30 people in the class who are ~7-15 years older than the rest of the class each cohort from the alternative category.

Happy to answer any specific questions you might also have if I can

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads