Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Bond Bond Medicine: Incoming Students

parker

Lurker
Hey everyone :),

I was wondering if any current medical students have been working while they have been studying. I've been thinking about applying for a part-time/casual job- preferably near bond- to help pay off extra amenities and flights to and from home.

Is it manageable to balance med life with work life?

Last edited:

d99

Yes, definitely in first year where the study isn't too intense. The only problem is the timetable changes every week so it is hard to plan out schedules. Even with this though, plenty still do a lot of work and get by fine.

parker

Lurker
Yes, definitely in first year where the study isn't too intense. The only problem is the timetable changes every week so it is hard to plan out schedules. Even with this though, plenty still do a lot of work and get by fine.

Cheers, thanks for that

B2

Hey everyone :),

I was wondering if any current medical students have been working while they have been studying. I've been thinking about applying for a part-time/casual job- preferably near bond- to help pay off extra amenities and flights to and from home.

Is it manageable to balance med life with work life?

The most crucial aspect of getting a job would be to have extremely flexible working hours. Draft timetables for each week are released prior and you will be able to see what sessions are compulsory and what sessions are not. If you have a lecture, it will tell you that you have a lecture but it will not tell you what it is on.

Therefore, it can be hard to discern which classes will be important to attend for you personally - this information only becomes clear on the Monday of that week when the proper timetable is released. A job with flexible hours can help with this.

Terron Beckham

Bond Med V
d99 , got any examples of flexible jobs that bond students work? Because I've been working at places like Hungry Jacks and Coles where the rosters were pretty rigid. Maybe something like delivering for uber eats would work?

B2

d99 , got any examples of flexible jobs that bond students work? Because I've been working at places like Hungry Jacks and Coles where the rosters were pretty rigid. Maybe something like delivering for uber eats would work?

Uber eats/ Uber driving is definitely a good option which will depend on your driving license qualifications. The most popular option is tutoring.

chinaski

It's not really advice that's peculiar to Bond; most (if not all) medical schools have rigid, yet ever-changing timetables. As such, evening and weekend work is usually a safe bet.

rustyedges

Working in the university library can be good too. Usually pretty flexible with your timetable, and often good chances to do a bit of light study in the downtime.

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
I found hospitality work to be the best bet during my early medical school years - primarily evenings or weekend shifts, usually fairly flexible if you have a good work place / make friends there, minimal stress & no preparation needed compared to tutoring, pay usually around $18 - $25/hour + tips if you work in fine dining. Usually you also get fed if you work in the kitchen! I did various jobs from working as a dishie to front of house to line cook.

Later in medical school I tutored as I had less time & got paid more, but the job was far more time consuming outside of work hours than working as a kitchenhand / waiter. It's also harder to tee up 10 hours a week of tutoring than it is to get 10 hours of hospitality work! My advice if you are going down the tutoring route would be to try and find a company that you can work through as it takes a lot of the organisational hassle out of the job.

heyy guys!! Big congratulations to everyone that got in and best of luck to those waiting for second round offers or possible september intake :)) Im a current 2nd year med student at Bond and if you guys have any general questions about the lifestyle at Bond, accomodation, food, what a typical day looks like etc feel free to ask questions here (edited by mod) :)

Keen to meet the new cohort on campus next sem !
Hi! How's the workload for med at bond?

Gm23

Hey! Similar
heyy guys!! Big congratulations to everyone that got in and best of luck to those waiting for second round offers or possible september intake :)) Im a current 2nd year med student at Bond and if you guys have any general questions about the lifestyle at Bond, accomodation, food, what a typical day looks like etc feel free to ask questions here (edited by mod) :)
Keen to meet the new cohort on campus next sem !
Hey! I was just wondering what the timetable is like in first year in terms of how many days you’re on campus (maybe tricky as you experienced this through covid!), how long these are/how many classes etc? Thanks for being open to questions too ☺️ All the best with your studies!

Last edited by a moderator:

Med2019

MD 3 Bond University
Hi! How's the workload for med at bond?
If you're someone that has done a year of university or more then the workload for first year is pre similar to any standard science degree I felt, lots of VOPP's and sometimes a bit of prework and then the standard lecs/labs/tutes etc. Its quite manageable if you try get the day's work done before going to bed but is very easy to fall behind as well if you take it too lightly. I usually try to be caught up on the week by the end of it if I have skipped or missed any lectures and that helps me to not fall behind. However saying that, once you're a few weeks in, it is necessary to study every day ! It does get progressively worse in 2nd year haha

Hey! Similar

Hey! I was just wondering what the timetable is like in first year in terms of how many days you’re on campus (maybe tricky as you experienced this through covid!), how long these are/how many classes etc? Thanks for being open to questions too ☺️ All the best with your studies!
Heyy! First year timetable is pre chill as there are fewer classes. It usually consists of SGL for 2 hrs on Monday and Friday, lectures throughout the week (usually around 2-3 most days), tutorials/workshops/labs for the lectures (usually 1-2 on Wednesdays/Fridays) and then also history taking and some clinical skills (vital signs etc). It is kinda packed but definitely not hard to manage :))

If you're someone that has done a year of university or more then the workload for first year is pre similar to any standard science degree I felt, lots of VOPP's and sometimes a bit of prework and then the standard lecs/labs/tutes etc. Its quite manageable if you try get the day's work done before going to bed but is very easy to fall behind as well if you take it too lightly. I usually try to be caught up on the week by the end of it if I have skipped or missed any lectures and that helps me to not fall behind. However saying that, once you're a few weeks in, it is necessary to study every day ! It does get progressively worse in 2nd year haha

Heyy! First year timetable is pre chill as there are fewer classes. It usually consists of SGL for 2 hrs on Monday and Friday, lectures throughout the week (usually around 2-3 most days), tutorials/workshops/labs for the lectures (usually 1-2 on Wednesdays/Fridays) and then also history taking and some clinical skills (vital signs etc). It is kinda packed but definitely not hard to manage :))
Hi! What's usually the latest time classes will be scheduled for during the week? Planning to do tutoring on the side and I need to tell my students my availability during weekdays.

Also I'm going to be in first year med this year btw, sorry forgot to mention before

Last edited by a moderator:

Med2019

MD 3 Bond University
Hi! What's usually the latest time classes will be scheduled for during the week? Planning to do tutoring on the side and I need to tell my students my availability during weekdays.

Hey!! I tutor as well and has been very manageable so far :) 5pm is usually a safe bet, however we have sometimes had classes till 5:30/6 on rare occasions. Events at bond such as revision nights may also go on late but the event pages are usually put up a week before so you can plan in advance !!

med7

Hey I was wondering if you had any sort of pictures of what the accomodation actually looks like? Besides just the ones on the website? Also when applying for accomodation, what does the form look like? Do you rank preferences or do you just put down what ur circumstances are?

Med2019

MD 3 Bond University
Hey I was wondering if you had any sort of pictures of what the accomodation actually looks like? Besides just the ones on the website? Also when applying for accomodation, what does the form look like? Do you rank preferences or do you just put down what ur circumstances are?
I can pm you some pics of my own room if you want to get a better idea :) . The accomodation at Bond is sufficient and does the job in my opinion haha. I think its amazing for making a close group of friends and getting to know people better. Each corridor has a common room with a Tv and some couches and a kitchenette with a kettle, sandwich press, microwave and a sink. The kitchenette area also has some chairs and table and a TV. You select accomodation through the starrez portal. So you'll have a time to log on and you log in at that time and just select from the rooms available. There are no preferences from my memory. I lived in AC (building 9) in 1st year and 1st sem of 2nd year. Its a bit old but many med kids live here so its nice to meet people. Blocks is a bit wild, esp in the start of the sem and can be a bit hard if youre trying to get work done. Lmk if you have any other questions and i'll try my best to answer them on here :))

med7

Hi I was just wondering what the teaching structure is like for first years? I kind of want to organise a note taking method before I start studying just so I’m not as flustered but I’m not really sure how to organise- do they teach based off learning outcomes or specific diseases (I’ve heard some unis do that) or do they go through specific topics? Or do they just go through set PowerPoint slides?

Med2019

MD 3 Bond University
In first year especially its based on three main themes, science and scholar (where youll do all the science), HAP (health and practitioner where you'll do ethical stuff/ consent/ laws etc) and practitioner (where youll do the more clinical stuff like vitals etc). I organised by the themes but you can def organise by weeks/ topics etc. Teaching is based off of LO's :) it really depends on what works for you and does involve quite a bit of trial and error
Hi I was just wondering what the teaching structure is like for first years? I kind of want to organise a note taking method before I start studying just so I’m not as flustered but I’m not really sure how to organise- do they teach based off learning outcomes or specific diseases (I’ve heard some unis do that) or do they go through specific topics? Or do they just go through set PowerPoint slides?

I can pm you some pics of my own room if you want to get a better idea :) . The accomodation at Bond is sufficient and does the job in my opinion haha. I think its amazing for making a close group of friends and getting to know people better. Each corridor has a common room with a Tv and some couches and a kitchenette with a kettle, sandwich press, microwave and a sink. The kitchenette area also has some chairs and table and a TV. You select accomodation through the starrez portal. So you'll have a time to log on and you log in at that time and just select from the rooms available. There are no preferences from my memory. I lived in AC (building 9) in 1st year and 1st sem of 2nd year. Its a bit old but many med kids live here so its nice to meet people. Blocks is a bit wild, esp in the start of the sem and can be a bit hard if youre trying to get work done. Lmk if you have any other questions and i'll try my best to answer them on here :))
Hey! could you please pm me some photos of your room if you don't mind, I'm finding it hard to get a good idea of the rooms through the pictures on bond's website. Appreciate it lots!!

Anki B

Lurker
Hello!

I am starting in May too and I have started going through the Compliance handbook. I was wondering if we have to get all of this done by Orientation.