Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Bond Med 2018 Discussion

Sam42
Monday: PBL
Tuesday: placement/communication skills (placement twice a sem)
Wednesday: PBL core skills
These were the regular compulsary sessions for us. Days may have changed.
There were also random compulsaries scattered throughout as well, hard to say as the timetable changes slightly every week.

Ladybug 7
The first 2 days from memory were for compliance meetings, so you only had to go to your 15min allocated timeslot, on one of the 2 days. You'll find the exact details in the orientation pack.
The rest of the rest was compulsary I think. But it is n't for long each day.

BTW the facebook group is open, so you can always post there for more info, or PM me.

Sam42

Sam42
There were also random compulsaries scattered throughout as well, hard to say as the timetable changes slightly every week.

Ladybug 7
The first 2 days from memory were for compliance meetings, so you only had to go to your 15min allocated timeslot, on one of the 2 days. You'll find the exact details in the orientation pack.

BTW the facebook group is open, so you can always post there for more info, or PM me.

Thanks for that info! Approx. how many compulsory session constitute 20%? If there is 3 every week x 13 weeks = 39 + maybe 5 random ones, could equal a total of 44 session? with 20% then being 8-9 sessions? :)

greengem

MD III
Hey guys, :) just wondering if anyone knows if orientation starts the 7th or the 8th of May (thinking it'd be the 8th since 7th is QLD labour day)? Also wondering if current students could share if you had to attend orientation every day of that week or were only certain things compulsory? Cheers
Hi! I think I did Biomed at Auckland with you, I was just wondering how they calculated your GPA please. Is an A- in NZ a perfect GPA in aussie or is it an A? Because I've asked around including the university and a definite answer was not given.
Also, do you happen to know what the comfortable GPA range I should be in to be competitive?
and any tips for the psychometric test/interview (that anyone has) if I get to that stage. Thanks :)

chinaski

I need to mention these stats again as they form the basis of my argument. In round numbers the state govs have been offering 3100 intern spots a year to domestic CSP+FFP graduates plus 300 to international graduates. About 200 int'l graduates fail to get one.

- On saving $90K/year: If the govs wanted to they could save 300 times $90K/year right now by not employing the int'l grads, no need to wait for a reduction in domestic grads first. But they have not done that, they are not interested in that saving.

- So why do they continue employing int'l grads every year: It would be naive to say for political reasons they don't want people to see int'l grads unemployed (the public wouldn't give two hoots about foreigners being unemployed in Aus, and besides the govs do let 200 of them go unemployed). A more likely answer is they want to appease the public with a good number of interns they commit to train to become future doctors.

Adding these premises together my argument is the number of interns taken in a year is not dictated by the number of domestic grads, but is a number the govs themselves desire & come up with, politically motivated or not. If we argue for a reduction of domestic grads their intern places would just get filled from the 200 unemployed int'l grads. If by more than 200 there's a pool of pre-vocational IMGs the govs can access. I see nothing pointing to a reduced intern intake.

We've been talking about different cohorts here. The term "IMG" is used most commonly to denote graduates of foreign universities, rather than international students who graduate from Australian universities - hence my comment that the system now relies on a relatively tiny proportion of IMG JMOs these days (whereas only 10-15 years ago, they often outnumbered local graduates).

MHIICD4

Lurker
Sam42

Ladybug 7

They don't do compliance meetings anyomore as all of it the compliance stuff is done online. So nothing on orientation week is compulsory. However, I highly recommend going as it is super fun (only time in med school when you are not bombarded by med stuff and feel the need to study at every minute of the day) and a great opportunity to meet your cohort. Ladybug 7

Ladybug 7

Hi! I think I did Biomed at Auckland with you, I was just wondering how they calculated your GPA please. Is an A- in NZ a perfect GPA in aussie or is it an A? Because I've asked around including the university and a definite answer was not given.
Also, do you happen to know what the comfortable GPA range I should be in to be competitive?
and any tips for the psychometric test/interview (that anyone has) if I get to that stage. Thanks :)
Hey!! Nice to see a fellow biomedder in this forum! I was told by QTAC when I rang that my GPA was 6.97 which matched what I worked out with a 7 being a A- and up. They also have a rank score they give you for your high schooling and separately your previous uni study.
Hard to predict GPA ranges but have a look on the offers thread to get a feel for the GPAs. As far as psychometric testing goes, I just tried to answer honestly since its a pretty abstract test so hard to know if there is such a thing as a 'right' answers. If you've done the Auckland interview before, its also an MMI format. Hope this helps!

Mysra

QTAC says this time there has been surprisingly extremely limited number of 2nd round offers ( unable to disclose numbers at this stage) . Uni is still in discussion.
Uni says they will finalise by today. Offers will be by email, released progressively.
Qtac status should change to successful or not successfull.
Qtac says status can be changed only upon uni confirmation. They are yet to get a word from them on closing !
Does bond have the written application thing like jcu? Pls help thanks