Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Pre-UMAT 2018 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
ACER uploaded some preparation videos two days ago that can be accessed through your online ACER account. Is this new?
The joys of following an exam company on Facebook lmao

I’m not sitting UMAT this year, but last year there were definitely videos on the website that could be accessed once you’d registered.

Yeah, this, tbh, sounds like a terrible idea! There are 134 questions, that's way too much time wasted to counting and checking.

Are you currently doing the questions 1-134 or by sections?

I did it by sections and set myself strict time limits for each whole section.
S2: 30 (my best section)
S1: 80 (my most 'iffy' section)
S3: 60 (my second best section)
10 minutes 'spare'

On the day, I was able to do S2 and S3 in exactly the limits I'd set (after practicing this in full length exams leading up), then needed to use my 10 'spare' minutes to do the last couple of S1 questions. I finished the exam right as the invigilator was saying pencils down.

Hi LMG - Just wondering how the paper is structured? Is it a mix of questions throughout or is each section clearly identified? If the sections aren't in 'sections', how did you best find to answer section by section?
Thanks!!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi LMG - Just wondering how the paper is structured? Is it a mix of questions throughout or is each section clearly identified? If the sections aren't in 'sections', how did you best find to answer section by section?
Thanks!!

It’s mixed up. Read back through the first few pages at least of this thread for tons of recommendations and insights.

Hi everyone,

I've searched on medstudentsonline for fatigue and endurance related threads, but apart from doing all the exams on medentry (or just more exams), does anyone have any advice on building endurance?

I've noticed that I consistently get more wrong in the middle of the exam (probably 1.5-2h mark).

I do my exam in sections- usually S1 then S2/S3

Kat92

(Student BNurs WSU). Hopeful for JMP
Hi everyone,

I've searched on medstudentsonline for fatigue and endurance related threads, but apart from doing all the exams on medentry (or just more exams), does anyone have any advice on building endurance?

I've noticed that I consistently get more wrong in the middle of the exam (probably 1.5-2h mark).

I do my exam in sections- usually S1 then S2/S3
This article was posted in one of the groups I am in on FB, might be worth a read: MedEntry UMAT Preparation - The UMAT – A Test of Endurance - MedEntry Blog

Cheers Kat!

Just making a note of what to do for myself:
1. I'll try switching up the sections: from S1, S2, S3 to S1, S3, S2 (although S2 is my worst section so that's probably a bad idea), but if I start with S2, I'm too tired to do S1. Either way, I'll experiment and give diff section combos a go!

2. Let's say 80 mins S1, 50 mins S2 and 50 mins S3 for now. + or - 10 though.

3. Put a glass of water in my room (water bottle on the day).

A1

Rookie Doc

Kat92

Cheers Kat!

Just making a note of what to do for myself:
1. I'll try switching up the sections: from S1, S2, S3 to S1, S3, S2 (although S2 is my worst section so that's probably a bad idea), but if I start with S2, I'm too tired to do S1. Either way, I'll experiment and give diff section combos a go!

2. Let's say 80 mins S1, 50 mins S2 and 50 mins S3 for now. + or - 10 though.

3. Put a glass of water in my room (water bottle on the day).

Hmm I have mixed thoughts about trying to do the paper in sections when it is all mixed up. Although, I’ve heard of some doing well this way.

Kat92

I have a weird thing about people drinking water in exams. It's only three hours, and it's not like you're going to get dehydrated. The only people I see going to the bathroom in exams are the ones sipping at water the whole time haha, but if you feel like it helps, go for it. :p
I’ve always found the same thing lol- and it tends to get a bit annoying when they walk past you constantly.

I took the blog post to heart and should've thought about the obvious- missing questions and distracting others with a toilet break! Thanks rustyedges, A1 and Kat92

About the sections Kat92, why do you prefer doing it chronologically? I've never tried chronologically- I've just been doing it by sections (in what sections is another matter though) since I think Medentry recommends that (maybe it wasn't them but another company though)

Kat92

I took the blog post to heart and should've thought about the obvious- missing questions and distracting others with a toilet break! Thanks rustyedges, A1 and Kat92

About the sections Kat92, why do you prefer doing it chronologically? I've never tried chronologically- I've just been doing it by sections (in what sections is another matter though) since I think Medentry recommends that (maybe it wasn't them but another company though)
I think it has come about more so after I have done some of the practice papers that have been mixed. As I found that trying to do the mixed papers by constantly skipping around for the sections, then writing the question I skipped to later go back to was a bit time consuming when flicking back and forth through the pages.

I think it was Medentry that did write an article like that- but it was a while ago.

Although, like you said it comes down to individual preference and what works best for you to get you over the line at the end of the day ;)

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what kind of raw scores people are getting in the MedEntry Extra Exams (Exam 11 to 15)?

Also, what is the hardest ACER Exam? Is there one that comes close to the difficulty of the real test?

Thanks!

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Hey everyone,

Just wondering what kind of raw scores people are getting in the MedEntry Extra Exams (Exam 11 to 15)?

Also, what is the hardest ACER Exam? Is there one that comes close to the difficulty of the real test?

Thanks!

Re: whether there is an ACER test that comes close to the actual exam... the answer is a resounding no. Makes sense though - ACER keeps the 'good' questions for the exam and the 'easy' questions for publication in the practice papers.

Re: whether there is an ACER test that comes close to the actual exam... the answer is a resounding no. Makes sense though - ACER keeps the 'good' questions for the exam and the 'easy' questions for publication in the practice papers.

I've hard Practise Test 3 is 'hard'? Is that true?

Hey everyone,

I am wondering which preparation company offers the most comprehensive and easy to understand video guides to answering the different questions?

I watched a few of the icanmed ones and what I am really looking for is a structure on how to do the different questions and their videos didn't seem the best?

Please let me know!

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I've hard Practise Test 3 is 'hard'? Is that true?

Assuming they’ve not been updated, I’d agree with Mana that none of the three ACER practice exams come close to the difficulty of the ‘real thing’.

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey everyone,

I am wondering which preparation company offers the most comprehensive and easy to understand video guides to answering the different questions?

I watched a few of the icanmed ones and what I am really looking for is a structure on how to do the different questions and their videos didn't seem the best?

Please let me know!

There’s someone who offers video tutorials on YouTube that’s not affiliated with a prep company, I don’t think. I found some of his useful but can’t remember his name so hopefully someone else can jump in.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hey kiwikillaz,

I believe that LMG!'s referring to the videos provided by Daniel Mills (please correct me if this isn't the right one LMG!): Daniel Mills - UMAT Tutoring. I found his videos to be quite good too.

I think the general consensus is that ACER 1 is the easiest with 2 and 3 being slightly harder. Although, they still aren't indicative of the actual difficulty of the test as LMG and Mana mentioned.

All the best with your preparation!

- Yamster

Status
Not open for further replies.