Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

HSFY Rank Scores

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Last Reviewed/Updated: 07 December 2017

Hi MSOers,

I have created the thread to upload any data/charts/plots/graphs relevant to gaining admissions into health professional course(s) offered for HSFY students at Otago University. The aim is to provide an easy-access reference point for those who are interested.

Disclaimer: The contents here are created using the information available on MSO contributed by past and current members. Any information/advice provided based on these is for speculation only and cannot be guaranteed to be completely correct or true. That being said, we have no intention of distributing misleading information and any information/advice given is with the best of intentions and to the best of our knowledge. - NZ Sub-forum Moderation Team.

[tabs]
[tab=Rank Score Cutoff for MBChB]
The following is a line graph of the estimated Rank Scores for a direct entry into MBChB for the past years. The "Year" is recorded as the year of application rather than the year of the beginning of the course. Each data-point is an average of the lowest RS recorded for a direct entry and the highest RS recorded to be wait-listed in that respective year. The "error bars" are included to represent the interval which the true cut-off value may lie (from lowest RS recorded for a direct entry to the highest RS recorded for to be wait-listed).

HSFYRS.jpeg

The following is another/updated version of the graph presented above. Similar to the above, the "Year" is recorded as the year of application rather than the year of the beginning of the course. The blue data-points are the RS recorded for a direct entry and the green data-points are the (highest) RS recorded to be wait-listed in that respective year.

HSFYRS2.jpeg

The following is the equivalent to the graph presented above with all the recorded RS's from 2014 - 2017 superimposed on it for the respective year. Each data point (RS) is represented as an open circle.

RS Plot (December 2017).jpeg

The following is a boxplot of all RS's recorded from 2014 to 2017. ?????????????????????????????????

RS Boxplot (December 2017).jpeg

If you have any problems or concerns regarding the content(s) above, contact a moderator or @Stuart.
[/tab]

[tab=][/tab]

[tab=][/tab]
[/tabs]

Last edited:

zoe179

Hey,

Just wondering are the graphs just for fyhs direct entry (ie not going through the rural or indigenous routes,) or are those data included as well?

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi zoe179,

The first two are for the general category (i.e. no rural/MAPAS). The last is for prediction purposes and it does not account for sub-category types.

These are old graphs and these are being updated. More recent graphs will be published in NZ Statistics.

emmy101

Looking at the changes in cut offs really freaks me out, I'm above last years direct entry cut off but not by a whole lot, so if it changes a lot again (like it did between 2015 and 2016) I'm probs screwed

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Looking at the changes in cut offs really freaks me out, I'm above last years direct entry cut off but not by a whole lot, so if it changes a lot again (like it did between 2015 and 2016) I'm probs screwed

Hi emmy101,

Welcome to MSO.

The cutoff has been changing by about 1-point. This isn't such a huge change, in my opinion. I think the way I scaled the graph(s) exaggerates the trend.