Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Pre-UMAT 2018 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat92

(Student BNurs WSU). Hopeful for JMP
I've hard Practise Test 3 is 'hard'? Is that true?
From what I have done of it so far, I haven't come across anything that has been difficult in paper 3. Paper 2 in my opinion has been the hardest one I have completed through ACER as a lot of the answers were similiar in nature.

I was reading an article the other day that mentioned sometimes it is not always about getting the answers right in the practice papers but understanding how the answers were reached and the logical/rational methods used so as to see trends when sitting the actual exam! :)

Trinhcent

professional silly goose
Hey everybody, ACER has published a new practice paper (Practice Paper 4). Has anyone here done the paper yet and could give their thoughts on its difficulty in relation to the other papers? :D

Woo18

Chasing some advice on how to improve the understanding people and logical thinking componants of the umat test

Kat92

Chasing some advice on how to improve the understanding people and logical thinking componants of the umat test

Understanding people- lots of reading of novels and using empathy to think about what is happening.

Logical thinking- Look for key words/phrases, use info in the passage, note correlation and causation.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Understanding people: Don't second guess yourself. Your initial 'gut' reaction is more likely to be the correct response and trust me when I say you will just waste way too much time going round in circles if you let yourself.

Kat92

Understanding people: Don't second guess yourself. Your initial 'gut' reaction is more likely to be the correct response and trust me when I say you will just waste way too much time going round in circles if you let yourself.

S3 is a bit like that as well- I have found the first one I go for tends to be correct but still sometimes second guess myself when going through the papers. S1 you may need to re-read though just to make sure you are nutting it out properly.

I am preparing for the UMAT this year for the first time as a Y12 student. I am thinking of applying to WSU Medicine as UNSW Medicine is just too hard to get in with a ATAR of >99.5. I read from the forum that WSU is only looking at S1 + S2 for the interview. As I am really bad at S3, will they still consider giving an interview to me if my S3 scores is less than 50?
Any good resources to help my performance in S3? Thanks.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I am preparing for the UMAT this year for the first time as a Y12 student. I am thinking of applying to WSU Medicine as UNSW Medicine is just too hard to get in with a ATAR of >99.5. I read from the forum that WSU is only looking at S1 + S2 for the interview. As I am really bad at S3, will they still consider giving an interview to me if my S3 scores is less than 50?

Section 3 still counts for a small portion of the overall UMAT rank for WSU, and last year we had several reports of people with S1 + S2 totals that seemed above 'cut off' but that didn't get an interview invite, presumably because of their low S3 score. I would definitely still be preparing for and appropriately concentrating on S3, particularly because JMP requires a S3 50+ (and presumably you'll be applying there, also).

Not to mention, S3 is the portion of the exam that is most easy to 'learn'. It is possible to teach yourself how to approach these questions and rapidly get much more accurate and efficient with them in a way that it is not for S1 and S2 (thus giving yourself more time to complete S1 and S2).

Nycryte

UTAS MBBS I
Anyone re-doing the umat "for fun"? I'm thinking of doing it to see how well I go with no preparation in the last year

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff
S3 is probably the easiest section to improve on. Any "next in the sequence" practice resource should help (doesn't have to be from a UMAT prep company). So long as you go over each question carefully, you'll start noticing patterns in the way that the shapes move etc.

Anyone re-doing the umat "for fun"? I'm thinking of doing it to see how well I go with no preparation in the last year
Anything less than 100th percentile, and I'll be disappointed.

Woo18

Hi Everyone, Chasing some help. My son school is trialing exam blocks and they have offered to let him do trial run with his Umat test in Umat conditions during 1 of the blocks as he will have no tests at that time. He is going to do Practise 4 from Acer and we need to know what it is he is allowed to take in. I believe it is 3hours with 10minutes reading only at the start and then a warning he only has 10minutes left at the end but don't know what is allowed in the room with him. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance

A1

Rookie Doc

Woo18

Thank you A1 I didnt even think to check the UMAT page. Too much going on I guess to realise it would be there. Thanks again

Is it too late to start studying for the umat? I understand that umat is not really you can study for but something you try to train yourself for to prepare yourself for the question types. I have been pretty occupied this year with personal things and have been unable to find the time to properly dedicate time to the umat. Given it is only 45 or so days away, do you think that would be enough time to develop sufficient skills in S1 and S2, I do have material to do so. My S3 from last year was decent (62) but will not be focusing much on it as my S1 and S2 were in the 40s and need to bump this up. Basically asking if 50 days is enough to get my head around the S1 and S2 question styles through drills and such enough to get me a score in the 55-60 range? Thanks

Should add that I am applying to Adelaide MBBS and Flinders MD. My ATAR is 99.95 for these unis so to have a chance of getting into to medicine (based of previous years) I would need either a 85ish%ile + for an interview at Adelaide or a umat within the 60-70s with a high S1 and S2 score (105 combined) to be considered for Flinders.

I will attempt to study and do my best in this exam but do have backups lined up if I'm realistically unable to achieve those scores with the given time.

Last edited:

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
It's certainly possible (but not necessarily for everyone) - people have different baseline ability and ability to learn those in a short period of time.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Is it too late to start studying for the umat? I understand that umat is not really you can study for but something you try to train yourself for to prepare yourself for the question types. I have been pretty occupied this year with personal things and have been unable to find the time to properly dedicate time to the umat. Given it is only 45 or so days away, do you think that would be enough time to develop sufficient skills in S1 and S2, I do have material to do so. My S3 from last year was decent (62) but will not be focusing much on it as my S1 and S2 were in the 40s and need to bump this up. Basically asking if 50 days is enough to get my head around the S1 and S2 question styles through drills and such enough to get me a score in the 55-60 range? Thanks

Should add that I am applying to Adelaide MBBS and Flinders MD. My ATAR is 99.95 for these unis so to have a chance of getting into to medicine (based of previous years) I would need either a 85ish%ile + for an interview at Adelaide or a umat within the 60-70s with a high S1 and S2 score (105 combined) to be considered for Flinders.

I will attempt to study and do my best in this exam but do have backups lined up if I'm realistically unable to achieve those scores with the given time.

I honestly think the best preparation for UMAT is to sit a previous UMAT, which you have done. You know what to expect, you know how fast you need to work, and you know what your weaknesses are. You have more than enough time to make some adjustments to how you did things last year. I think your best use of time would be a full practice exam or two to get you back into that kind of sustained effort, with some specific focus on technique for S1 & S2 at a general level (rather than obsessing over small details from specific questions). Things like: reading questions properly, not second guessing yourself and wasting time, etc.

Best of luck!

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff

It certainly can't hurt to start practicing for the UMAT, even if it's just half an hour each day going through some questions. Also, it might be better mentally to go into the test knowing you're familiar enough with what's going to be asked, as opposed to just going in based on what you remember from last year.
You will have had more experience than most people doing the UMAT, having done it once before, it's just about refreshing those skills now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.